Pinkerton review by Weezer

• Released: Sep 24, 1996
Weezer: Pinkerton

Sometime between 1994 (when Weezer's famous "blue album" was released) and 1996 (when Pinkerton came out) Rivers Cuomo, the mastermind of Weezer, got really pissed off. The result was that he released an angry, introspective, dare I say EMO album that mostly scared off the fans of the light and fun blue album. This album was shunned at first just for being different, but people have come to find that this record is really great. The rock is way harder than the blue album, and at times it can make the hair on the back of your neck stand on end. The solos are a lot cooler because they are more noise than pentatonic scale. In a good way.

Like I said, Rivers was PISSED when he wrote this record. Lots of angry, introspective, and emo lyrics are present on this record. They're even a slightly funny song about a girl that he can never get. (because she's a lesbian ^_^) There's quite a bit more screaming and crying on Pinkerton, and a metaphorical acoustic ballad that closes the album is to die for.

This record, although different than the fun blue album, is just as good, altough it may be shocking the first time you hear it. The standout tracks are "Getchoo", "El Scorcho", "Across the Sea" and "Butterfly." I love the emo vibe of this record, but I wish they could've added onhe or two lighthearted songs. To finally dispell all the rumors, I will say that this album is worth your money.