Pinkerton review by Weezer

• Released: Sep 24, 1996
Weezer: Pinkerton

To be honest, this is the best album Weezer has ever put out. The sound is unlike any other album that they have released. Unlike their previous release, this album is a bit darker. The mood of this album is pretty negative, but the way that the band puts it together really contradicts the mood. The rhythm often sounds a bit jumpy and melodic, even when the song is about not wanting to have sex ("Tired Of Sex"). "Falling For You" is an example of how he is in love with a girl, but is unsure of himself because the girl is way out of his league. Pinkerton is pretty much a masterpiece (even though it was rated as the worst Weezer album, and the put into The Rolling Stone Hall Of Fame).

The lyrics show that Rivers is very lonely. The song "Why Bother?" is basically Rivers saying that he's tired of getting hurt, so he quits love and tries to avoid a girl that he falls for. "Pink Triangle" is a song about him falling for a lesbian, that one speaks for itself. The lyrics a basically heartbreaking for him. How the music corresponds to the lyrics could be said to be "opposite" as in the lyrics might be sad, and the music might be happy, like in the song, "Why Bother?" Once again, Rivers manages to pull off some great vocals whether he's screaming his lungs out in songs like "Tired Of Sex" and "Getchoo," or singing quietly with his acoustic guitar in "Butterfly." His vocals really correspond to the music as well as the lyrics.

This album kicks so much ass. It is so unlike anything that the band has ever done or will do in the future. Honestly, I don't know anyother albums that sound like Pinkerton. However songs like "The Good Life" remind me of "Ride" (The Vines) or "Song 2" (Blur). The most impressive song is "Falling For You," which happens to be my all-time favorite out of all the Weezer song I've heard. Other good songs are "Tired Of Sex," "Getchoo," and "El Scorcho." I pretty much love everything about this album, especially the lyrics because I can relate to it so well. If I had the choice to buy it again if it were stolen or buy something else, I would definitely get it again. This CD is a must-have for anybody, not just Weezer fans. Get it.