Pinkerton review by Weezer

• Released: Sep 24, 1996
Weezer: Pinkerton

This was the next release in the winter of 1996 for Weezer. It came shortly after their huge success of the "Blue Album" with its catchy riffs, quirky videos, and hidden meaning that were hardly ever really understood by the fans. The sound was as lead singer Rivers said, "the true sound I was feeling at the time." And at that time, many people really hated the cd. Upon its release, hardcore "Blue Album" advocates purchased the CD and were immediately disappointed with songs about love and sex and other things that they didn't care for. Some of the heaviest songs come off this album though, as well as one of the most melodic, "Butterfly," featuring just Rivers and his acoustic guitar. Years later, fans would see this as Weezer's most influential albums and the most true to the spirit of singer and songwriter Rivers Cuomo. A bit to simple, and yet, amazing.

Who really knows? The lyrics were written by a small scraggy looking nerd who once sat and looked at the big book of pop music trying to break the code of the best alternative music. He also credited all his songwriting to rock band Kiss. These songs were the best reflection of him and the first song, "Tired of Sex" was how Rivers was in short, tired of sex. The rest of the songs all had the desperate sound of a man in need of love. Including the masterpiece reply to the girl in Japan that wrote Rivers a fan mail letter to him professing her love of him. Simplying haunting stories of love and hate, again, amazing.

Overall, this album was breakthrough for Weezer's sound and pivotal in the movement away from grunge. If it were lost I would for sure go and get another copy. I didn't exactly love the happy little riffs in the middle of some songs, but in its own special way it really did over more for me than the "Blue Album" did. It was closest the band has ever come to being truly deep. A great endeavour that ended up being their best album, for sure worth picking up.

Zero457
    This is my favorite of their albums. Like you said, deep. It made me really feel something. When I saw them live in 2005, I was concerned they wouldn't play El Scorcho and the like... but about halfway through the set - Rivers said "We can't forget about our second album" and he rocked some of the favorites from it. It was the highlight of the show for me, even if the rest of the crowd didn't know the songs.
    josh w c
    this is not only my favourite of their albums but also one of my favourite albums by anyone, it's genius.
    W3rdBlvd
    This albums grows on you, if you don't like now it you'll like it later
    macmancometh
    W3rdBlvd wrote: This albums grows on you, if you don't like now it you'll like it later
    Absolutely. It's darker and more abrasive. Different from Blue, but still great.
    ChiliMyAss
    I didn't like this album at first, just cause I was used to the Weezer from the Blue Album. But once I gave it a listen, I realized it was a masterpiece. It's amazing. Easily their best.
    Msu_Man04
    Definitely. I didn't like it at first, but now I'm starting to get into it (via. "El Scorcho" and "Pink Triangle" and "Tired of Sex")