Pinkerton review by Weezer

• Released: Sep 24, 1996
Weezer: Pinkerton

After the huge success of the Blue Album, Weezer released their second album, Pinkerton. It contained a darker, more abrasive sound than the Blue Album's power pop style. Green Day took a similar stance releasing Insomniac after the success of Dookie. This alienated many fans, and went on to become a commercial failure. Although it takes a few listens to get used to the feedback heard throughout, once you get to truly appreciate the percussion, heavy basslines, and great solos, Pinkerton becomes one of your favorite albums of all times. Just about every song except Getchoo really seems to encompass this amazing sound.

The lyrics are the most amazing point in the album. Rivers Cuomo really provides insight into what feeling loneliness and despair are like in Tired Of Sex and No Other One, loss of hope with women in Why Bother?, falling in love in El Scorcho and Falling For You, and even falling for a lesbian in Pink Triangle. The two most amazing lyrical efforts are Across The Sea and Butterfly. Across the Sea is the story of Rivers receiving a fan letter from a Japanese fan in which she showed genuine interest in learning about him and his wanting to see her. In my opinion, it's Rivers second best written song, next to Only In Dreams. What I love most about the lyrics is that they appeal to the Pinkerton in all of us.

Much like The Blue Album, I think that it is a musical masterpiece. This album should never have been ignored for as long as it was. I loved every song except Getchoo. The tracks that really stood out to me though were Tired Of Sex, No Other One, Why Bother?, Across The Sea, The Good Life, and El Scorcho. Nothing to hate at all from this album. If it were stolen, I'd have no choice but to buy it on iTunes so that the only way someone could steal it is by taking my whole desktop.

seth.bartholdi
    Wow, a lot of people neglected to mention the double meaning that it's a concept album about the opera "Madam Butterfly"