Pinkerton Review

Weezer: Pinkerton
Released: Sep 24, 1996
Genre: Alternative Rock, Power Pop, Emo
Label: DGC
This album was breakthrough for Weezer's sound and pivotal in the movement away from grunge.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.5
 9.4
 9.5
 1,070
Pinkerton Reviewed by: James TH, on september 08, 2007

Sound: This was the next release in the winter of 1996 for Weezer. It came shortly after their huge success of the "Blue Album" with its catchy riffs, quirky videos, and hidden meaning that were hardly ever really understood by the fans. The sound was as lead singer Rivers said, "the true sound I was feeling at the time." And at that time, many people really hated the cd. Upon its release, hardcore "Blue Album" advocates purchased the CD and were immediately disappointed with songs about love and sex and other things that they didn't care for. Some of the heaviest songs come off this album though, as well as one of the most melodic, "Butterfly," featuring just Rivers and his acoustic guitar. Years later, fans would see this as Weezer's most influential albums and the most true to the spirit of singer and songwriter Rivers Cuomo. A bit to simple, and yet, amazing. // 9

Lyrics: Who really knows? The lyrics were written by a small scraggy looking nerd who once sat and looked at the big book of pop music trying to break the code of the best alternative music. He also credited all his songwriting to rock band Kiss. These songs were the best reflection of him and the first song, "Tired of Sex" was how Rivers was in short, tired of sex. The rest of the songs all had the desperate sound of a man in need of love. Including the masterpiece reply to the girl in Japan that wrote Rivers a fan mail letter to him professing her love of him. Simplying haunting stories of love and hate, again, amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this album was breakthrough for Weezer's sound and pivotal in the movement away from grunge. If it were lost I would for sure go and get another copy. I didn't exactly love the happy little riffs in the middle of some songs, but in its own special way it really did over more for me than the "Blue Album" did. It was closest the band has ever come to being truly deep. A great endeavour that ended up being their best album, for sure worth picking up. // 9

Pinkerton Reviewed by: *Truly Ninja*, on march 11, 2004

Sound: Sometime between 1994 (when Weezer's famous "blue album" was released) and 1996 (when Pinkerton came out) Rivers Cuomo, the mastermind of Weezer, got really pissed off. The result was that he released an angry, introspective, dare I say EMO album that mostly scared off the fans of the light and fun blue album. This album was shunned at first just for being different, but people have come to find that this record is really great. The rock is way harder than the blue album, and at times it can make the hair on the back of your neck stand on end. The solos are a lot cooler because they are more noise than pentatonic scale. In a good way. // 6

Lyrics: Like I said, Rivers was PISSED when he wrote this record. Lots of angry, introspective, and emo lyrics are present on this record. They're even a slightly funny song about a girl that he can never get. (because she's a lesbian ^_^) There's quite a bit more screaming and crying on Pinkerton, and a metaphorical acoustic ballad that closes the album is to die for. // 8

Overall Impression: This record, although different than the fun blue album, is just as good, altough it may be shocking the first time you hear it. The standout tracks are "Getchoo", "El Scorcho", "Across the Sea" and "Butterfly." I love the emo vibe of this record, but I wish they could've added onhe or two lighthearted songs. To finally dispell all the rumors, I will say that this album is worth your money. // 8

Pinkerton Reviewed by: Green Clash, on june 20, 2005

Sound: Pinkerton is very much different to the first albums poppy, catchy, and sometimes geeky tunes (I'm not saying there bad, by the way). It's harder, messier, darker, and all of it is great. The sound is different but the awesome riffs that people loved before are still here and better than ever. When I say messier, I mean it's not finely polished and perfected. The instruments squeal before during, and after most of the songs, you can hear the amp buzzing when no one is playing and there is a mistake or two. But it's these things that make the album work. It's not supposed to sound perfect, it's meant to be raw. And me being on the subject of raw, let me tell you that this album is not the first one. It's much harder and much darker. The only acoustic song is the last one, "Butterfly" (which is beautiful). It's different in many ways to the first album but it's reminiscent to it. Just how they used certain aspects that would make an album worse, work for them is genius. There is no other way to put it, the sound of Pinkerton gets a five. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics for Pikerton is similiar to the sound of the album, but it isn't as far away from the Blue Album as the sound is. You still have nice catchy tunes like "Why Bother," and "The Good Life" but you're gonna get deeper songs than you ever heard from Weezer. But they don't get to serious (I mean, they have a song called "El Scorcho"). What I really like about the lyrics though is that they don't complain about losing someone. They sing about falling into love and dealing with some of the obstacles that occur. It's also not all about that which keeps it fresh unlike other bands that do that too excessively. The singer, River Cuomo, makes some great lyrics. It's not to hard to understand what he's talking about but he doesn't just come out with what he's trying to say (except maybe in "Pink Triangle") and how he sees things is easy to relate to. The tunes also can get very catchy. The man's good at writing and rhyming and for that, the lyrics get a five. // 10

Overall Impression: If any of you guys remember, this album wasn't received well when it came out in '96, mainly because it was so far away from the crtically acclaimed first album. But it was a masterpiece in disguise. Once people understood it, they loved it. All ten songs the album offers are incredible. My personal favorites are "Getchoo," "No Other One," "Why Bother," "The Good Life" and "Butterfly." I'm used to the music type switch (what did I just say) since I listen to The Clash, so when I picked this up, I instantly loved it. If you're a hardcore fan of the poppy tunes of the previous album, give this album some time. You'll soon find that it's they're best. But if you're like me, pick this one up now. It's a dark, hard, messy, beautiful, and most of all, misunderstood masterpiece. A perfect five. // 10

Pinkerton Reviewed by: DeathcabforARL, on november 25, 2009

Sound: After the huge success of the Blue Album, Weezer released their second album, Pinkerton. It contained a darker, more abrasive sound than the Blue Album's power pop style. Green Day took a similar stance releasing Insomniac after the success of Dookie. This alienated many fans, and went on to become a commercial failure. Although it takes a few listens to get used to the feedback heard throughout, once you get to truly appreciate the percussion, heavy basslines, and great solos, Pinkerton becomes one of your favorite albums of all times. Just about every song except Getchoo really seems to encompass this amazing sound. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are the most amazing point in the album. Rivers Cuomo really provides insight into what feeling loneliness and despair are like in Tired Of Sex and No Other One, loss of hope with women in Why Bother?, falling in love in El Scorcho and Falling For You, and even falling for a lesbian in Pink Triangle. The two most amazing lyrical efforts are Across The Sea and Butterfly. Across the Sea is the story of Rivers receiving a fan letter from a Japanese fan in which she showed genuine interest in learning about him and his wanting to see her. In my opinion, it's Rivers second best written song, next to Only In Dreams. What I love most about the lyrics is that they appeal to the Pinkerton in all of us. // 10

Overall Impression: Much like The Blue Album, I think that it is a musical masterpiece. This album should never have been ignored for as long as it was. I loved every song except Getchoo. The tracks that really stood out to me though were Tired Of Sex, No Other One, Why Bother?, Across The Sea, The Good Life, and El Scorcho. Nothing to hate at all from this album. If it were stolen, I'd have no choice but to buy it on iTunes so that the only way someone could steal it is by taking my whole desktop. // 10

Pinkerton Reviewed by: deemack07, on september 06, 2003

Sound: This record was an enormous change from weezers first cd. THis record was more of Rivers diary. This album was a little more lo-fi than recording. This lo-fi sound made this record sound even more personal feel. These lo-fi sounds were exclusive to this album. all of the other weezer albums have had amazing studio quality. // 8

Lyrics: These lyrics sound as though they are copied directly from Rivers diary. From pink triangles angst ridden story of boy meets girl boy finds out girl likes girls to butterfly's almost too emo story. Over all these were weezer's most personal and in my opinion their best. // 10

Overall Impression: This ablum was an amzing album that could be listened to over and over again. With most cds after so many listens the album gets a little boring. With pinkerton the more listens the better the album gets. All tracks on this album are slendid except maybe no other one which can get a little old. I think that the more personal feel of this album makes it Weezers best album yet. I think if you are a weezer fan who does not own this album you need to get into your car drive to your local record store and buy this now. // 10

Pinkerton Reviewed by: andythefir, on july 27, 2004

Sound: With its author embittered and just plain pissed at his life as a rock star how could this be the hook-filled classic the blue album was? Pinkerton has a very harsh sound to it, the treble is boosted way up making a very tinny sound, so very different from the thick crunch of the first album. Its lyrics are bitter, the bass is fuzzier than John Lennon's face during the bed-in for peace, and it's the best album ever. Wait, what? // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very angry, they're even bordering on emo (which I hate with a fiery passion). But in the end they are 110% honest, something not found in the cheesy similes and metaphores in emo. Rivers later said it was like getting drunk and spilling his guts at a party. It can be a bit hard to listen to at points with its complete honesty, but it tells a story no other album has in my recollection. It narrates River's journey from a rock star to a hermit and back. The words paint a narrative none of the mindless alternative scene can touch, they're not mindless thrashing, they're not bubble gum pop songs. They are a man with his heart on the line. // 10

Overall Impression: Yes it is hard to listen to, and yes it did unfortunately give birth to emo. But there is a soul on the tracks, there is a story beneath all the fuzzed out tones. Some people don't like to think about their music, but for me this album almost transends music. It is a spiritual experience for me, it phrases a part of my life so perfectly it's almost like reliving it. Some people are afraid of that kind of intensity, so I suggest they stay away. // 10

Pinkerton Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 18, 2004

Sound: It was a shame to look at this site and see that there were reviews for Weezer's Blue and Green Album's but nothing for Pinkerton. Possibly the best album released in 96, and definately the greatest the band has released to date, Pinkerton kicks off with Tired Of Sex, a distorted and heavy tune plays almost louder than Rivers voice throughout the song and continues for the rest of the album (with the exception of butterfly). It gives the disc an intimate, live feel and if you crank it up and close your eyes, you can almost imagine that the band is playing a concert in front of you. Although seemingly under-produced, the music on this album sounds exactly how it was meant too, fast and furocious. The sound is messier, less pop riddled and much darker than their acclaimed debut, but Pinkerton has a more original, braver, and in my opinion better sound than The Blue Album. // 8

Lyrics: Rivers Cuomo's voice shrieks and squeals as he attempts to sing notes that make Rancid seem good, there is out of tune, off the cuff back up vocals that usually sound like the boys have been drinking straight tequilla while recording, and the guitar seems to try to hide the fact that the vocals are quite bad. However, this style seems to compliment the music perfectly, and although that may seem like a bad thing, it truly isn't. In fact the vocals and the music match up so well that you can barely notice Rivers' geeky voice. The greatest strength in an album full of them are the lyrics. Rivers has been quoted as saying that he will never release an album as personal as Pinkerton again. A real shame because the lyrics are some of the greatest ever written in this genre of music. With the majority of songs focusing on love there tends to be a lot of heartache, however Rivers manages to include frustration, comedy and the trademark, geeky self-doubt that made The Blue Album so appealing. // 10

Overall Impression: The best album ever made by one of the greatest bands of contemporary rock. Pinkerton is a must have and an album I almost consider to be a part of the family. // 10

Pinkerton Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 02, 2005

Sound: This is Weezer's second album. It definetly can compete with the Blue Album. The Blue and Pinkerton are Weezer's best records so far. The album is a bit harder then Blue and rock's all the way! // 10

Lyrics: Rivers Cuomo is inspired to write this album from his favorite opera, "Madame Butterfly" therefore making the lyrics a bit depressing a sorrowful. He sings fine as usually and the solos are all pretty great. Each song has a catchy guitar riff which is great. // 10

Overall Impression: My favorite songs on this album are, "Across The Sea," "The Good Life," "Why Bother," "El Scorcho," and "Pink Triangle." If it were lost I would definetly buy it again. // 10

Pinkerton Reviewed by: DanTheMan7772, on july 25, 2005

Sound: This is what I consider to be the most "honest" and "strage" of all the Weezer CD's. The music throughout this CD is very different from that of Blue Album, but in a way that is enjoyable. The different guitar riffs and guitar solo's make each song very different. That is one thing about this CD I think most people will like, the fact that it is different from all other Weezer CD's. // 10

Lyrics: This is where "honest" kicks in. River's tells many things about his life, I'm guessing while he was writing this album he got PO'd because the songs show it. His voice changes at times, making it more enjoyable to listen to. At times you find yourself relating to the lyrics. Very different and enjoyable. // 10

Overall Impression: This is different from all of the other Weezer albums, and you'll find yourself coming back from time to time to listen to it. This album did not recieve as much attention as it should of, because it turned most people away by it's sudden change. An excellent album, none the less, if you haven't already, check it out. // 10

Pinkerton Reviewed by: The Spoon, on february 01, 2006

Sound: This is Weezer's third CD. In my opinion, it is one of their best CD's. Weezer has still got the great beats and awesome guitars. The one thing that separates this album from the rest, is that the lyrics are more adult than the other albums. You can tell from songs like "Tied Of Sex" and "El Scorcho." The album seems like its about a girl he loved and turned out to be a lesbian. // 9

Lyrics: They lyrics in this album are pretty good. Most of them are pretty good. However, the songs do get sort of repetitive. Its always about him loving a girl and the girl doesnt love him back. Weezer also wrote songs about a fan way across the sea. The way Rivers sings in this CD is awesome. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, this is definately better than most of the Weezer CD's. I love how more mature the lyrics are. My favorite song would be "El Scorcho." The song is very catchy. I am dissapointed how the songs get repetative after a bit of listening. If something happened to the CD that prevented me from listening to it again, I would get this CD again. If you becae a fan of Weezer when Make Believe came out, I suggest you pick up this album quickly. // 8

Pinkerton Reviewed by: A3oooBenjamin, on february 09, 2006

Sound: To be honest, this is the best album Weezer has ever put out. The sound is unlike any other album that they have released. Unlike their previous release, this album is a bit darker. The mood of this album is pretty negative, but the way that the band puts it together really contradicts the mood. The rhythm often sounds a bit jumpy and melodic, even when the song is about not wanting to have sex ("Tired Of Sex"). "Falling For You" is an example of how he is in love with a girl, but is unsure of himself because the girl is way out of his league. Pinkerton is pretty much a masterpiece (even though it was rated as the worst Weezer album, and the put into The Rolling Stone Hall Of Fame). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics show that Rivers is very lonely. The song "Why Bother?" is basically Rivers saying that he's tired of getting hurt, so he quits love and tries to avoid a girl that he falls for. "Pink Triangle" is a song about him falling for a lesbian, that one speaks for itself. The lyrics a basically heartbreaking for him. How the music corresponds to the lyrics could be said to be "opposite" as in the lyrics might be sad, and the music might be happy, like in the song, "Why Bother?" Once again, Rivers manages to pull off some great vocals whether he's screaming his lungs out in songs like "Tired Of Sex" and "Getchoo," or singing quietly with his acoustic guitar in "Butterfly." His vocals really correspond to the music as well as the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This album kicks so much ass. It is so unlike anything that the band has ever done or will do in the future. Honestly, I don't know anyother albums that sound like Pinkerton. However songs like "The Good Life" remind me of "Ride" (The Vines) or "Song 2" (Blur). The most impressive song is "Falling For You," which happens to be my all-time favorite out of all the Weezer song I've heard. Other good songs are "Tired Of Sex," "Getchoo," and "El Scorcho." I pretty much love everything about this album, especially the lyrics because I can relate to it so well. If I had the choice to buy it again if it were stolen or buy something else, I would definitely get it again. This CD is a must-have for anybody, not just Weezer fans. Get it. // 10

Comments