Raditude review by Weezer

• Released: Nov 3, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Weezer: Raditude

Weezer is a unique band. Their sound has never stopped evolving, and they have never hesitated to experiment with something different. At the same time, you can always tell when you hear a Weezer song. "Raditude" is no different. There's not really a genre to put Weezer into. But to put it simply, if you liked Weezer's other albums, you'll like this one. If you didn't like Weezer before, you're not going to like them now. The best song on the album is easily the single and first track off the disc, "(If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To." Rivers Cuomo, the band's singer and primary songwriter, is in top form. It's a fun song that will make you chuckle and will get stuck in your head all day long. "I'm Your Daddy" and "The Girl Got Hot" are good songs that are in the same vein of "I Want You To;" they're upbeat and pretty catchy. "Can't Stop Partying" and "Put Me Back Together" are much more low-key and aren't quite as good as the way the album kicks off. "Love Is the Answer" experiments with some Indian-sounding effects. That's interesting and makes the track stand out from the others a little bit, but doesn't make it particularly better. "Let It All Hang Out" is a song that fans of Weezer's "Buddy Holly" will like and is one of the best songs "Raditude" has to offer. Like "Love Is the Answer," "I Don't Want To Let You Go" has some differentiating effects that give it dream-like qualities different from the other songs here, but once again, it's not much better. "Turn Me Around" sounds like an old Green Day song and so we end the album on a rather high note. The album opens strongly, but tapers off and picks up a little at the end, but could be better.

In my opinion, Cuomo is pretty clever. He's written some really catchy lyrics, like those of "Beverly Hills" and "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived." Other than "(If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To," though, the album's lyrics are pretty run-of-the-mill. They're not bad, but they're nothing to write home about.

Like I said before, "Raditude" won't change anyone's opinion of Weezer. It's an alright album, though, and Weezer fans should definitely pick it up. It's not Weezer's best, nor is it their worst. It's just another solid addition to their catalog. If you're looking for something new to listen to, "Raditude" should do just fine until Weezer's next release.