Raditude review by Weezer

• Released: Nov 3, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
Weezer: Raditude

Weezer has been one of my favorite pop rock bands because of the Blue album and Pinkerton. I have like about half the songs on Maladroit, Green album, and Make Believe. I did however like the Red Album. I thought the Red Album was a great new direction for Weezer while still maintaining their pop roots. Weezer took that sound from the Red Album and used it to create Raditude. Raditude is an abomination. This is coming from a long time fan of Weezer. I heard the new single and I was blown away. It was the Weezer that I had missed and I demanded my friend to torrent me the album until I could buy it. I just needed it as soon as possible because I was so stoked. Then I listened to the album.

The lyrics are all really catchy. I expect a Harvard graduate, Rivers Coumo, to write something intelligent but I think his writing fits the style. I do like the lyrics, but I feel that the vocals could have been much more strong. The vocal patterns sort of follow that of The Fray. I can't stand The Fray because the singer seems inable to elevate his voice at all (and the music is overall boring). Don't get me wrong, Coumo still raises his voice, but its purely for climatic purposes. Not any of the fun vocal patterns like in El Sorcho on Pinkerton.

I find the music incredibly slow and boring. I do not look for anythign in pop music other than being catchy, but it seems as if Weezer has even failed in being catchy on this album. I did not think that possible for a pop band. The first three songs are okay and I may put them on my ipod to listen to once in a while; the first three songs are the single, I'm Your Daddy, and The Girl Got Hot respectively. Then it seems almost as if Weezer wrote seven filler songs to throw them on the album. Can't Stop Partying through I Don't Want To Let Go bores me to tears. It almost makes me sad how much Weezer has followed present day music acts. Can't Stop Partying sounds almost like theyre trying to make a techno (I don't know if thats the right genre; to the elistists) song and they even have a rapper on the track. I hate it. It isn't even engaging enough to be okay. Sorry to tear Can't Stop Partyin to shreds, but I wanted to make an example. The rest of the album Weezer seems to recycle old riffs in different places in order to make it seem layered. I just hate it. I think the only songs in these seven fillers I like is Let It All Hang Out, but the verse riff sounds strangely similar to Beverly Hills. I may have been unfairly critical on the band because as I'm listening to the album more and more, it is sort of wearing off on me but I feel that Weezer it trying to retain its youth by writing meaningless songs. I think that they should go back to the Pinkerton days, even if its just for lyrics. Or they should write about their lives in the present. You can't stay twenty forever. Sorry Weezer, I love you but this has tested me.