Raditude review by Weezer

• Released: Nov 3, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Weezer: Raditude

The album will be disappointing for some Weezer fans and others may like it. It keeps with the trend Weezer have been moving in, from rather simple rock in their first few albums to more electronic and pop oriented songs. The album is much like that of the Red Album in terms of sound, but I do sense hints of their past few few records scattered throughout, although not nearly as prevalent as many fans would likely want. The sound is decent, but a bit generic in some of the songs. Some of it is classic Weezer styling, while other songs incorporate rap in Can't Stop Partying (with the assistance of Lil Wanye.) The song with Lil Wayne is a bit generic, boring, annoying, and brought down by Lil Wayne as is the case with most music he attaches himself to. There is also an Arabic/Irish? influence in some of the songs from Jacknife Lee, which is also a bit annoying. Overall, the majority of the tracks have a solid musical offering, with a few exceptions that are either boring or annoying. Cuomo's vocals are what's expected of him, and the guitars are what you'd expect in most cases as well. I do like the incorporation of more electronic drum type things in some cases as well.

This is probably the weakest point of the album. Most of the lyrics sound like something written by a junior-high school student. Most of them involve the liking of partying, love, or something else of the sort. It's not that they're terrible, it's just they're pretty generic and intended to be more fun. Don't look for any deep meaning in this album for the most part, because you won't find it. River's vocals sound pretty nearly identical in every song and it just gets old after a while. That being said it's nothing that makes you never want to listen to the album again.

Compared to some more recent Weezer releases, I'd say Red and Raditude are both near the top, but that being said, they still don't quite have that charm the older albums have. They certainly have gone in a different direction, but it's a relatively enjoyable one with a few bumps along the road. I'd recommend Raditude to any Weezer fan or anyone who heard and liked any of their songs over the past five years or so on pop radio.

badacidvacation
    I think the album would've sucked massively if it weren't for "hang out" "wondering" "freeway" and "put me back together" but all the other songs just aren't hat great. And the 2nd, 3rd, and (shudders) 4th songs are terrible. Lil Wayne is great, Weezer is great but lil wayne + Weezer = virtually unlistenable. I'm putting "Can't stop partying" as Weezer's worst song ever. Also, Blue album >>> Pinkerton and NO this is not debatable. Also maladroit and the green album are incredibly underrated. I kinda enjoyed the red album and I would stay far away from make Believe if i were you so..... blue: 100 pinkerton: 90 green: 100 maladroit: 100 make believe: 53 red: 78 rad: 60
    b4t3man
    mickjones1982
    despite this album weezer still puts on an incredible live show...saw them with blink this past summer and i honestly think that weezer put on a better show
    wndrw982
    b4t3man wrote: I Want You Too is addictive as balls. Don't know why, but I just can't stop listening to that song.
    really? balls are addictive?
    biscuitiis.k
    yeah ok overall, this album sounds like its been rushed and stuff BUT I want you to and I'm your daddy are awesome. The girl got hot is pretty good and can't stop partying...hmmmmm its different but the concept of the song is good. I like it but its not weezer. AT fuji rock festival they played a rock version of this. check it out on youtube!
    Bozjoarmstrong
    And I do believe they should be labeled as "Alternative Rock"
    yeh, they used to be getting poppier though I probably will buy the album despite the bad reviews, I would buy anything with that dog on it.
    Wolfinator-x
    Damn... What a bad rating... And I do believe they should be labeled as "Alternative Rock".
    The_Wilrus
    I don't consider "The Red Album" a record. If it wasn't a release by Weezer I would rip it apart further. Thus at the very least Raditude has some real music on it.
    Jozef23
    Will I get in trouble for saying I think this is a great album? I love it and I love the different sounds.
    Screamin' Eagle
    Is it just me or is 'Get me some' ****n amazing! yet they only put it on as some of the bonus tracks or bonus cds. That songs one of my favourite Weezer songs! But yea this album sucked big balls.
    AdenZerda
    Weezer was mainstream waaay before Beverly Hills, dude.
    tai1221
    Can't stop partying was actually written by Jermain Dupree. So were a few others songs. I liked his demo version of it, and I don't want to let you go. Even if this album is supposed to be comical, the music is to horrible to stand listening to the joke. I hope rivers releases another demo album, like alone and alone II. They were great in my opinion.
    sbriggs31
    i agree that some of the songs on this album were made kind of as a joke. Meaning they wrote "cant stop partying" as like a joke song to all the poppy techno hip hop songs that are so popular these days. Only songs I didn't like on this album were Love is the Answer and In the Mall. Otherwise, I think another great album, way better than the red album
    antman1385
    wtf every band is turning pop now! linkin park, three days grace, and now weezer... and thats only a few...
    communitykid
    I don't understand how the idea that Weezer sold out or they're making albums to be popular has any merit at all. Where's your proof of this? I mean, we already know that "Can't Stop Partyin'" wasn't made to be a serious song. Aside from that one song, what else on the album makes you think that they made it to make money? I mean, even if it is poppier, maybe that's what appeals to the band these days. I mean, obviously there are people out there who like poppier music, and the sound has very little if anything at all to do with a bands mainstream intentions or lack thereof.
    FootSwitch
    thing about weezer is it takes a few listens to really start to enjoy it, in the mall does blow but the rest of the album is pretty good.
    hnfan4eva
    who1973 wrote: Every time a new Weezer album comes out, I get excited. But that excitement is repeatedly dashed in half. I understand that they will probably never make another "Pinkerton" again, and the way this album directs them, they will DEFINITELY NOT make another Pinkerton. Their only hope is to throw out the synthesizers, put away the overproduction, get rid of the filler pop lyrics, and become a ROCK BAND again. "Can't Stop Partying" is easily the furthest the band has ever drifted from Pinkerton. Rappers, synthesizer, everything the band once stood against, they are now hypocrytically using. Last Year's "Red" was a near excellent album, and it really got my hopes up that Weezer was heading back on the right track, but now they've smashed those hopes again. Get back to REAL MUSIC, REAL LYRICS, AND NOT THE HIP HOP CRAP MAINSTREAM RIVERS, otherwise you can expect that this Weezer fan, and I'm sure I speak for many others in saying this, will make sure never to listen to any of your post-Pinkerton garbage or buy another Weezer album again. I've all but lost my faith in yet another once great band. They're slowly ticking off: Guns N' Roses, U2, etc. Bands that were once great now suck and are being replaced by hip hop. If music continues in this direction, it will become all but dead.
    Rockinguitar
    sven_svensk
    i feel people take the album to seriously, it was good.. but some of the songs sucked though.. What came as a surprise for me is that i actually liked Cant stop partying. I think it has a pretty cool vibe, and it reminded me of bloodhound gang, lil wayne sucked donkeys ass though
    dawoodman619
    I'm still listening to this album, and so far my impression on it isn't that great, but I've realized after reading these reviews and comments that Weezer will release whatever Weezer wants to, and even though some of us may think this album blows, they released this record for a reason. No, I don't think that they're "going mainstream", atleast not in the way like where they look at themselves in mirror now and go "I'm so ****ing awesome because I'm a rockstar!", but because Weezer can't help the fact their songs are popular and radio stations want to play them. If I were in Weezer, I would want that too. And again, if I were in Weezer, I wouldn't want to release another "Pinkerton" because I wouldn't want to do the same thing twice. Their musicians. If they don't experiment and try different styles, how could they call themselves a musician (Just my opinion). I will admit when I heard Lil' Wayne was on a track, I was like WTF. Not because I'm against hip hop (I used to love Eminem, Nas, Ludacris, Three6Mafia, but I stopped listening to hip hop a long time ago), but because Lil' Wayne is on everything it seems like. It's good for him, but I'm sick of that dude. But still I won't call Weezer "sell outs" or "mainstream" just because they have a well-known rapper on their album. Look at Anthrax & Public Enemy, Beastie Boys & Kerry King, Marilyn Manson & Eminem, Ozzy Osbourne & Busta Rhymes, Ludacris & Sum 41 or Jay-Z & Linkin Park. It's not unnatural for musicians to collaberate from completely different genres of music. Anyways, I will keep listening to this album to get a better understanding about it. Congrats to Weezer on another release.
    FlyingPirahna
    I like one song on the whole album, and that would be I Want You To. The rest is just so bland and uninspired, as if Rivers isn't even trying to write a decent song anymore.I was hoping they'd gotten the tongue-in-cheek quality out of their systems with the Red Album, but this is laughable.
    Tumble-weed
    This is a terrible, terrible album. Weezer haven't been good for a while now (Pinkerton was their last great album) but this is definitely a new low for them.
    Rockinguitar
    AdenZerda wrote: Weezer was mainstream waaay before Beverly Hills, dude.
    What can I say? Truly, by "mainstream" I meant thirteen-year-old girls who diet on Disney. XD
    duzit89
    AdenZerda wrote: Rockinguitar wrote: After media got ahold of "Beverly Hills," Weezer's been WAY too full of themselves. DARN YOU MAINSTREAM!!! Weezer was mainstream waaay before Beverly Hills, dude.
    sad but true.. i honestly liked keep fishin' video Lol with all the muppets
    patsfannumero1
    I love weezer but this album really sucked, I mean seriously? Little Wayne??!! Horrible decision on weezers part.
    rock_is_God
    What can I say; I expected a lot more out of this album. This is coming from a long time Weezer fan and someone that considers Rivers Cuomo to be a musical genius (the man did attend Harvard). I guess thats what I get for having such high expectations of a band that did appear on MTV once or twice. After the Red album I found a new love and respect for the band however, after this one I find myself in a contradiction. Is Weezer "pop" or an alternative rock group? Ill let you decide that for yourself. Give the Album Raditude a listen if you haven't already but, I would defiantly listen to it before I went out and bought it. I have a feeling teeny boppers are going to love this one but, to an old school Weezer fan like myself this album is a big disappointing slap in the face. Step it up Rivers! Your fans are depending on your musical ability to rock not to dance on MTV with a bunch of twelve year old girls. I think Weezer wrote this album for all the wrong reasons. Writing Music is more then making money and being famous. (at least to me it is)
    huevos
    Wait, those bands were good at one point? I'd like to see that more than Eva Angelina's titties in my face. Not really. Music=/=awesome tits Where was I going with this?
    willy1234x1
    willy1234x1 wrote: Joke Reviewers' heads River's entire point of "Can't Stop Partying is a wisecrack at the party crowd. It's so stupid that people are thinking it's terrible because "it's a party anthem" it's a joke as are a lot of his lyrics.
    Apparently the text parser gets rid of vertical bars (Shift + \)
    communitykid
    CranberryJuice wrote: communitykid wrote: Yeah, but if they were so anti-hip hop I doubt they would have made The Greatest Man That Ever Lived(which was a huge miss with me) or put the hip hop elements into their music at all. Even lyrically they've been using hip hop terminology with the last 2 albums. Or at least it seems like it, could be wrong. I just really don't think Weezer's one of those bands that are trying to top the charts. If anything, I think the change in music is them wanting to be musically productive this far in their career without really having all the things that motivated them earlier. You know, they're a lot more settled, but they don't wanna stop playing. That's how I see it anyway. Sorry if I was acting like a jackass before. I get all riled up when people don't like the same music I do. Haha. Your mis-quoting me, I said mainstream hip-hop. Don't get me wrong, hip-hop is not bad at all, but if they need a way to keep making music because they are "out of ideas" hip-hop seems to be the way to go if you want mainstream. Personally, I think they are way better off back to the Blue Album and Pinkerton days, but I guess when the music industry is dominated and influenced by ridiculous bass and colour confused high school girls Weezer is just following the crowd... BTW I liked the Red album.
    The Red Album had a few good tracks. Dreamin' is some of Weezer's best work IMO. It just didn't strike me as anything all too great. Like they could've done better but they weren't 100% in it. I still have to disagree with the whole 'Weezer trying to be trendy' idea just because when I see interviews and I take a step back and look at all their work it doesn't really give me that 'we're trying too hard' notion. I mean, they've been doing those "Hootenanny" get togethers with fans for years now, and you'd think if they were trying so hard to get mainstream attention they'd name it something else, or make some big event out of it. As far as music goes, opinion can go a long way, and I'm only willing to debate things to a certain point because it's just opinion, but when it comes to judging character, I'd rather argue cause it's like bashing somebody you'll never really know with all this skepticism. So I say you really shouldn't pass negative judgment on music artists when it's kind of unclear. Now, if you wanna talk about Lady Gaga and trying too hard I could go on for hours.
    Altitudinous
    PS the bonus tracks on this album are some of the best on the album. I.e. "Get Me Some", "The Underdogs", "Prettiest Girl in the World"
    Shazazmic
    slipknot_420 wrote: mickjones1982 wrote: i saw weezer this summer and they blew blink 182 off the stage imho You seen blink 182 live you failed LOL
    Haha.. and just look at you. You like getting high and listening to slipknot. Then you parade it around pridefully in your fail of a username. Ultra fail. Sadly, this album fails as well.
    Jimbosandwich
    badacidvacation wrote: I think the album would've sucked massively if it weren't for "hang out" "wondering" "freeway" and "put me back together" but all the other songs just aren't hat great. And the 2nd, 3rd, and (shudders) 4th songs are terrible. Lil Wayne is great, Weezer is great but lil wayne + Weezer = virtually unlistenable. I'm putting "Can't stop partying" as Weezer's worst song ever. Also, Blue album >>> Pinkerton and NO this is not debatable . Also maladroit and the green album are incredibly underrated. I kinda enjoyed the red album and I would stay far away from make Believe if i were you so..... blue: 100 pinkerton: 90 green: 100 maladroit: 100 make believe: 53 red: 78 rad: 60
    What? Pinkerton is my favorite album ever. That's an opinion, not a fact.
    who1973
    who1973 wrote: hnfan4eva wrote: that was too long for me to care. just enjoy the friggen music. its good and cuomo is a genius 1. You obviously didn't read my comment, as you seem to think 1 paragraph is too long for your short attention span to handle. So why attack a comment you didn't read? 2. The only people who would consider the majority of this "good" are 12 year only girls who have swallowed the rest of the mainstream garbage Weezer is now sadly mixed in with. 3. If you had bothered to read my comment, you would know that I once considered Rivers a genius, but based on this trash, I consider him so no longer.
    *12 year "old" girls (typo)
    Zell182
    CranberryJuice wrote: Anyone else think they contradicted themselves with Can't Stop Partying after bashing on Timbaland on the Red album? I find that lame. Clearly they are trying to get to the top of the charts.
    Surely anyone can see that song is massively tongue-in-cheek...
    Kortu
    The bonus tracks are almost the only thing that can save this album. The Prettiest Girl is amazing, and Run Over By A Truck is the matured Weezer sound they should be having nowadays.