Weezer (Blue Album) review by Weezer

• Released: May 10, 1994
Weezer: Weezer (Blue Album)

This is one of the things that has always impressed me about Weezer and has always rung true in their albums even if the lyrics seemed lackluster (a-la Make Believe). The sound is an awesome mix of punk, alt rock, and metal. The guitar work is wonderful and seems simplistic at some points but only is simplistic to serve the purpose of the song. The solos are impressive and remind me of good old fashion classic rock solos sometimes. The drums and bass are impressive and can truly drive the songs. The best part about the album though is its energy. From the very first time I heard "My Name Is Jonas" I knew there was alot going on in this record. The chugging guitars build and build from the beginning to the amazing finale. Simply incredible.

This in my personal opinion is where the album really comes together. Each song is a great example of songwriting. Rivers Cuomo shows us an amazing self analyzation and puts so much passion in each word. One complaint some have had is that some of the lyrics "don't make sense." Not true. Each song has a meaning and is a part of the overall theme of the Blue Album. My personal favorite being "My Name Is Jonas." This song is simply amazing. The song is about facing life and leaving home but still keeping your roots in your heart. The vocals soar in an amazing choral fashion as it slowly builds to the empowering crescendo and the lyrical return home. Each set of lyrics takes a mood and a feeling and builds on it with every word from Cuomo's voice. He sings with so much raw passion and pride that you feel attached to him throughout the album.

This is probably one of the landmark CD's of alt rock and post grunge. It's seems simple but just like the color blue it's got meaning hidden in it. When you really get into the lyrics it's just shy of a concept album. There is not a single song on this album that I don't like. It is not only technically proficient but emotionally as well. Get on your damn knees and thank whoever you pray to that this album was made.