Weezer (Blue Album) review by Weezer

• Released: May 10, 1994
Weezer: Weezer (Blue Album)

Weezer is a band with a constantly evolving sound. The Blue Album was the first one that I came across, but the one that I most recently discovered. If they were to have published it today, I would say that it was a dramatic departure from their synth and keyboard-heavy sounds featured on Make Believe, but as it was 4 albums previous, I honestly can't say that. What I can say is that it is a significantly stripped-down sound with a classic rock kind of feel to it. It seems almost like a campy version of the Foo Fighters' The Colour And The Shape.

Rivers does an excellent job of filling in the gap between guitar solos with interesting and immersive lyrics, as well as maintaining consistent vocal rhythm. His skill at the mic borders on virtuoso, as he ventures from the calm narrative of "My Name Is Jonas" to the almost jovial "No One Else" and back to the forlorn "The World Has Turned And Left Me Here" easily.

Weezer's debut album certainly makes an impression on me. I can't say that there are any other bands with quite the same sound as early Weezer, at least that I have heard of, which makes this album that much more special. I'd have to say that "Holiday" and "Surf Wax America" are the most noteworthy songs, claiming not only complex guitar parts but also compelling lyrics and classic hooks. If this album were stolen, I wouldn't be able to buy it again because I would be too busy crying. I love this album.