Weezer (Blue Album) review by Weezer

• Released: May 10, 1994
Weezer: Weezer (Blue Album)

On Weezer's first release, The Blue Album, is full of catchy power chorded riffs, phychidelic sounting solos that are reminisent of Hendrix, single note melodies and even fingerpicked acoustics. The sound Weezer is unlike anything in mainstream music today, or any band for that matter. It's weird because every entrument sounds like it has a different influence but they combine them all and make a new tone all of their own. One of the most creative styles in modern punk/emo today.

Rivers Cuomo is definately a visionary in turning his thoughts it to sorrowful (the world has turned and left me here, say it ain't so, in the garage) but more often than not, comical and jovial (Buddy Holly, Undone, My Name Is Jonas). He can make you feel all of these emotions with his style, which is almost like Freddy Murcury, and his clean acousic melodies. And Bassist Matt Sharp just adds to the lyrical experience. His high pitched squeel is hilarious. But probably the greatest element of this album is how Rivers lyrics are something every punk or outcast can relate to. Overall quite great.

Probably one of the top 5 punk albums ever written (or will be written). The guitar drives the progression of Rivers unorthodox lyrics. I love the fact the way Rivers crafts his solos and like I said earlier, they are a bit like Hendrix in tone. Comparible to Bad Religion or Nirvana.