Weezer (Blue Album) review by Weezer

• Released: May 10, 1994
Weezer: Weezer (Blue Album)

Weezer's sound is part of a group of bands that define the '90s alternative sound for me. Although I know there were many good and respectable bands to come out the 90's with a harder sound (Soundgarden, Rage, Stone Temple Pilots to name a couple) it is the alternative bands that really define the decade. Bands like Oasis, Weezer, Green Day, Everclear, and others all made their stamp on the music industry during this decade and I love it. Weezer is my favorite of these bands without a doubt and this album is among their two best (Pinkerton being the only other album that comes close to it in quality music). I believe that this was their pinnacle and that they receaded after this which is a shame. The CD is comprised of one amazing song after another. This sound is what defined Weezer, and this sound is what will always define Weezer.

The lyrics on this album are simple and elegant. There are some interesting songs with lyrics that drift around topics that only Rivers could probably understand (Buddy Holly) and there are those narcissistic ones that focus on depressing qualifications for Rivers' life and companions (No One Else and The World Has Turned and Left Me Here). They all mesh very well with the music and I think are certainly the best ever written by the band. Rivers, despite being a pretty quiet and reserved guy, is a very talented singer and deserves more credit than he gets oftentimes.

This album, in my opinion, is the best alternative rock album of the 1990s, and maybe of all time. While all the songs are good I would have to say that the standout songs for me would be Say It Aint So, Only In Dreams, Undone the Sweater Song, and Buddy Holly. I think that these songs all have a lot of variety and can drift from the heaviest of Weezer sounds to the lightest and gentlest of Weezer sounds. If I lost this album than it would be immediately put on my purchase again list because it is a classic that everyone should listen to.

musicman0000
    weezer is the best band on earth in my opinion they cant be classified and i dont know why everybody classifies into poppunk and emo they are anything they are the best indie ever