Weezer (Blue Album) review by Weezer

• Released: May 10, 1994
Weezer: Weezer (Blue Album)

The 1994 self titled album by Weezer, known as 'the Blue album' due to it's cover, has one of the most unique and influential sounds of modern guitar records. At a time when grunge was prominent, the Blue Album stands out with it's unashamedly catchy guitar hooks, poppy choruses, falsetto singing, and awesome guitar solos. While the guitar and bass drive throughout, the sound always remains bright and never becomes heavy or too powerful. The guitar solos never outstay their welcome and serve to push each song to greater heights, conveying the exact emotion the song needs. I have never heard an opening solo which conveys such elation as that of "Holiday," or the full emotion of the the epic climax of "Only In Dreams." Musically the producer, Rick Ocasek of the Cars, had a positive influence. Suggesting the band use the lead pickups instead of the rythm Weezer separated themselves further from the grunge crowd. Also of note the band practised singing barbershop in order to help with the falsetto highs, key to Weezer's Blue Album sound: the familiar "Ooeeoo"s and "Oh oh"s that fill such instant classics as Buddy Holly. Worth mentioning is that all guitars are played without any effects added, only distortion. This adds to the feeling of innocence and purity that is carried throughout the entire album, from the opening fingerpicking of "My Name is Jonas" to the final note of "Only In Dreams."

An album filled with stellar lyrics throughout. At first glance the lyrics of some songs can appear cryptic and at times nonsense, such as "My Name is Jonas", and "The Sweater Song". With a few listens the meaning begins to leak out, until you begin to get the full picture, this makes Blue Album one of the most listenable albums I have ever heard. Some of the most fantastic lyrics come from the 10th and final song on the album, "Only In Dreams." This song portrays a cutting and emotional tale of an interrupted dream of a lover who is lost upon waking. The lyrics perfectly capture the way memory of a dream fades away so quickly as you try to remember, but fail to hold on. In places the songs on the album can be seen to lyrically run together, such as "No One Else," and "The World Has Turned and Left Me Here."

This is undoubtedly one of the greatest, and most loved albums of all time, nothing I can possibly say could ever convey the sheer perfection of this record. There is no bad song on this album, there are no songs which are better than others, all the songs shine in their own way and will live on for a long, long time. I have lost this album a couple times, both times I replaced it the same day; as I listen to it a heck of a lot! I have given a few copies as gifts to friends as well. This is an album you can listen to on repeat without ever getting bored, if you don't own this record then you should! There is also a deluxe version avaliable which contains some fantastic rareties.

pwninator123
    i wanna know what retard put Emo in their genre not insulting emo, but emo Weezer is not
    Almost-Antix
    I loved this album, and I still listen to it regularly. They were my favorite band for a long time, but then I heard the Make Believe album, and I hated the way they had changed. The Red Album sounds promising, but I'm not sure if I can buy into them changing back to their old sound. I don't know if they're doing it to please their fans or just to sell albums.