Weezer (Blue Album) review by Weezer

• Released: May 10, 1994
Weezer: Weezer (Blue Album)

Weezer is a truly legendary alternative/punk band from the post-grunge era. Weezer is one of my favorite bands of the '90s, right up there with Nirvana, Oasis, and Stone Temple Pilots, to name a few. Rivers is a great guitarist and singer, and the guitars are great in this album. The drums are also impressive, and the beats really drive the songs along with the great bass. The guitar solos are very impressive, and better than those in most modern rock, and although the guitar is sometimes simplistic, it still helps make the songs amazing.

The lyrics in this album are very good. Rivers Cuamo is an absolutely amazing singer, and no one else could fit those types of songs any better. Some people say Weezer's lyrics are confusing and stupid, and I pity them. Although it is true that Rivers surely isn't the best songwriter and the lyrics are sometimes silly (undone, buddy holly) they still match the songs very well. The lyrics also seem to have some deeper meanings than what they first seem to be.

In my opinion, this is definetely Weezer's best album, and one of the greatest albums of the '90s (bested only by Nirvana's "Nevermind" or "In Utero"). This album defines not only Weezer, but also '90s alternative rock as a whole. My favorite songs are "My Name Is Jonas", "Buddy Holly", "Say It Ain't So", "In The Garage", and "Only In Dreams", but all songs are amazing. I love how well the instruments compliment each other, even if they are a little simplistic at times. I don't like how sometimes Rivers's lyrics don't make sense, but his amazing singing more than makes up for it. It is a shame that Weezer never made another album as good as this debut, but of course that would be nearly impossible. However, I still think all Weezer albums are great (except make believe.) If this album was stolen, I would immediately buy a new copy.

macmancometh
    Only In Dreams: Best closer to an album ever. The rest of the album is top-notch also.
    Bumcivilian
    People putting them as pop-punk and emo are stupid. Yeah you can see how they inspired bands like that, but they themselves aren't. They're more indie/alt/pop-rock. The Blue album is one of the best albums ever, there's not a weak song on it. Pinkerton was good aswell but since then its just been albums with a few good songs and then loads of filler. It's a pity. I wish I could have seen thm live around 1996. It would have kicked ass.