Weezer (Blue Album) review by Weezer

• Released: May 10, 1994
Weezer: Weezer (Blue Album)

In 1994, Weezer released their self-titled debut album. It's power pop sound was nothing like the grunge that was receiving massive amounts of airplay in those days. And it was genius. From the amazing guitar solos in songs like My Name Is Jonas and In The Garage, to the bassline in Only In Dreams, this album is musical genius. As the main songwriter, Rivers Cuomo really encompassed the feeling of every lyric in the album with every note played by the band.

Like the album's sound, the lyrics were also genius. Although you might not be able to figure out what the hell Rivers is talking about in Undone (The Sweater Song) and in My Name Is Jonas, the songs have a very deep meaning to them. Most of the songs are drawn from experiences in Rivers' life. From his brother's car accident in My Name is Jonas, to his mistaken belief that his estranged father was an alcoholic in Say It Ain't So. The song whose lyrics stirke me the most however, is Only In Dreams. The way Rivers sings this song makes me feel the disappointment that one feels when you awaken from a dream like that depicted in the song. Rivers harmonics with Matt Sharp's treademark falsetto also gave the singing a litte twist from what I'm used to hearing.

From the first time I listened to it, The Blue Album has been in my opinion, one of the most amazing pieces of music in history. I think it should be hailed as one of the most important albums of the 90's along with Nirvana's Nevermind and Green Day's Dookie. Every single song from this album is impressive, from the opening riff of My Name Is Jonas to the climactic solo and final note in the bassline of Only In Dreams. I love the lyrics, the solos, the falsettoes, hell, everything about this album. Nothing to hate except the fact that Weezer will never release anything this epic again. If it were stolen, I'd track down the person who stole it, and beat them till they gave back. In short, the Blue Album is an amazing piece of music, no matter how many unlikeable turns Weezer may take now or in the future.

conngrand
    This is my favorite album of all time. I'm satisfied tat this album is rated 9.7 overall. Pinkerton Should be at 9.6. I love Weezer