Weezer (Green Album) review by Weezer

• Released: May 15, 2001
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Weezer: Weezer (Green Album)

While Weezer is still about the heavy guitars and solos, the sound is somewhat cleaner here. Weezer's big problem here is that their sound becomes way, WAY too formulaic on this album. I can actually give the formula for a Green Album song: verse/chorus/verse/chorus/solo (same tune as verse)/chorus. Any deviation from this pattern is extremely slight. Even though in some ways Weezer's sound hasn't made a drastic change, in many other ways it has made a turn for the worse.

Rivers has stayed pretty much on target here. He didn't go overly emo (I'm looking at you, Pinkerton), nor overly artsyfartsy, and he preserved Weezer's trademark quirkiness. Nothing really makes me jump up and say "woah!" but nothing makes me roll my eyes and reach for the skip button either. Rivers has a good voice as well, but he doesn't use it to it's full capacity. There's no emotion atall in his voice on this album.

I almost feel like when Rivers wrote this album, he was cynical about the shape of music today and decided to write 10 songs that he knew would sell, just for a laugh, especially considering how much better its successor is. There's no emotion, no art, just 10 bland pop-rock tracks full of chords and no riffs, voice but no feeling, sound but no thought. I still quite like a few songs. "Island In The Sun," "Hash Pipe," but when it's all said and done, at the end of 10 songs and 28 minutes, I feel cheated.

TKROCK
    This album is ok in my opinion. Nowhere near as good as the blue album or pinkerton. I agree with iamjosh completely in the formula thing, it just frustrates me when the solo comes round and there is no creativity at allin that department. I like crab, glorious day, photograph, island in the sun and simple pages the most and I can't sit through o girlfriend without stopping the cd. I am extremely let down by the album and it gets a 6 or 7 from me...
    Dr Collosus
    ^ not really. i am josh has got it right. that god damn formula means i can't ever listen to this whole album. you can sense exactly whats coming next
    HeathenChemist
    I like this album, but iamjosh has pretty much got it right... then again all my songs have the exact same formula too.... But I'd rate this an 8... only cause the Blue Album and Pinkerton are 10s.