Weezer (Red Album) review by Weezer

• Released: Jun 3, 2008
Weezer: Weezer (Red Album)

The overall sound of the band is and always has been geek rock and pop, but now things change. Blue Album. One of the best pop albums I've ever heard, the style is consistent, making it very easy to get in to. Pinkerton. A huge leap, Pinkerton is sometimes considered emo, which is understandable because most of the lyrics are self-loathing and pleas of desperation to the women River coos to. With the somewhat thrashy style Weezer adapted in this album, one might wonder where they could possibly go next. Green Album, Maladroit, Make Believe. All of these albums go back to the original Weezer but add a little bit more poppiness to the equation making them mildy generic and strenuous to listen to. Red Album. What can I say? The Red Album is different. Kudos to Weezer for experimenting with new lyrical styles and constant rythym changes, this album is a little bold in that it can keep going even after Rivers Cuomo is done with is strange, um, "hiphop" style at the beginning of "The Greatest Man that Ever Lived".

The lyrics are mild yet strangely rebellious, from the "I don't need anyone's approval" attitude of "Troublemaker" to the "I don't need anyone's approval" attitude of "Pork and Beans". Don't misinterperet this, a few of the songs are very similar in lyrical meaning but different in overall attitude of the song. The lyrics weren't bad, Rivers Cuomo never fails to impress with his writing and his ability to put those poems to a tune and give it life. Singing-wise the album isn't bad, Rivers has always had an innocent quality about his voice and in this album he has shown that he can somewhat successfully break out of that and give his lyrics some 'tude. However, letting others sing on this album was a mistake.

There is no doubt Weezer will always be a standout name in the genres of Geek Rock and Pop even though all their previous albums except Make Believe were better. The most impressive and daring song on the album is "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived", it is death-defying in how often it changes style and genre and the lyrics somehow fit the song rather well. I love that Weezer still has the old "Weezer-ness" about them, while this is a very experimental sounding album, you can still hear Weezer. I hate that Scott Shriner was allowed to sing. If it were lost I would probably buy it again just because it is a good example of why bands should stay the same.

666 warlock
    weezer is the worst band in the world like who would name a song pork and beans like wtf is that this band is a bunch of bullshit they suck so bad theres no solos the guitar is as easy as hell and the song beverly hills like seriously if ur a band u should be there already unless ur some foren band or like florida better but still weezer sucks ass