Weezer (Red Album) review by Weezer

• Released: Jun 3, 2008
Weezer: Weezer (Red Album)

After listening to Weezer's third self titled release, I have the impression that this band has no idea where it's going. Songs like "Dreamin'" and "The Angel and the One" would fit just fine on Pinkerton or the band's debut LP ( also called Weezer, but with a blue cover and a 'stacheless Cumomo ), while on the opening track "Troublemaker" and the funk-rock of "Everybody get Dangerous" we see Weezer taking another step forward into the realm of dance-friendly Pop-Rock. While this can make the album feel a bit inconsistent, it's isn't necessarily a bad thing. Long-time Weezer fans have been waiting for a true follow up to the band's first two albums and while this probably isn't what they're looking for, it should satisfy them for now. There are a few oddities on Weezer's sixth LP. The strangely dark "Cold Dark World" seems entirely out of place amongst the up-beat pop-rock while "Automatic" wouldn't sound out of place on mix-tape with Kid Rock and Nickleback.

Lyrically, the Red Album delivers exactly what you'd expect from Weezer. The geeky humour of "Troublemaker", "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived", "Pork and Beans" and, well, you get the point, combined with Weezer's patented brand of I-am-non-threatening-please-go-out-with-me love songs make this release pretty generic in Weezer terms. I think that one of the biggest down sides to the album is the fact that three of the songs are not sung by Rivers. Now, that wouldn't be so bad if the three songs hadn't been grouped together and they hadn't been the weakest songs on the album. There really isn't anything wrong with the other band member's voices, but they just don't seem to fit with the rest of the album.

Overall, it seems like Weezer is going in a good direction with their music. While the Red Album still doesn't compare to the band's earlier releases, it's a breath of fresh air amongst the mindless cellphone rap and corporate pseudo-Emo dominating the charts. While a few songs were quite disappointing (Automatic), the good out-weighed the band and this was a pretty great album.

The_Wilrus
    I know Hate is an extreme word when referring to any music (even something like Hedley) but I do greatly dislike (borderline hate) this album.
    Hendrix666.6
    I love this album and 666 warlock can go f@#k himself. Pork and Beans is a great song!
    Thnikkamann
    ""Greatest Man" sort of pisses me off. I know it's a big joke, mocking the egomaniacs, but still, the lyrics are so arrogant and stupid." Haha. Made me laugh. You just don't understand the what they're trying to say. I personally loved this album.
    Csimmons1267
    Listened to this album today for the first time in a long time, really surprised me how much I enjoyed it. The Greatest Man...'s high vocals still give me chills.