Alpocalypse review by "Weird Al" Yankovic

• Released: Jun 21, 2011

Weird Al has been releasing parody music since 1983, and has really made an art form out of it. This album is no different than his others, incorporating several different styles of popular music and then some polka. There are twelve tracks on "Alpocalypse" and not a single filler track. Weird Al has released several of the songs off of "Alpocalypse" through strategic "internet leaks" for the past five years since his last studio release in 2006, "Straight Outta Lynwood". Weird Al has also released this album as streaming music on www.mog.com as of 06/14/2011. Weird Al has Ray Manzarek of The Doors play keyboard on a parody in the style of The Doors called "Craigslist" which mocks some of the odder Craigslist posts. Taylor Hanson even guests playing piano on the song "If That Isn't Love" which is a parody in the style of Hanson singing about an individual's weird interpretation of what love is. Weird Al has a parody in the style of Queen called "Ringtone" that is about having an annoying ringtone, but unfortunately Brian May isn't involved... I would have loved to hear that. The song "CNR" is a parody in the style of the White Stripes that talks about the legendary Charles Nelson Reilly, and unfortunately Jack White wasn't involved with the recording of this song.

Weird Al is a lyrical genius pure and simple. He has made his living for almost 30 years by taking popular music and re-writing the lyrics in a humorous way that also provides social commentary. Pure Genius. While several of the songs on "Alpocalypse" are direct remakes of songs with new lyrics, several others are just parodies in the style of other musicians and he uses the freedom to really go wild lyrically. I think it is important to realize that parody is as important an art form as original music. The lyrics to "Perform This Way", which is a parody of Lady Gaga's hit "Born This Way" is full of scathing observation of the lengths Lady Gaga goes to in order to be "original". "I'm so completely original / My new look is all the rage / I'll wrap my small intestines 'round my neck / And set fire to myself on stage" is a good sample of the lyrics from this tune. "Perform This Way" is a good example of Weird Al's ability to find the pulse of society and really put the mirror up and force everyone to look into it.

It is hard to compare "Weird Al" to other artists because what he does is original, and though there have been some artists coming out trying to copy what Weird Al does, he remains the best. While I personally feel that this isn't the best Weird Al album to be released, it is absolutely not the worst. If you don't listen to this album, do yourself a favor and at least listen to his polka medley "Polka Face" which is like a rant against all the shallow music that is permeating the radio waves. My favorite songs from the album are "CNR", "Craigslist" and "Whatever You Like". "CNR" is a parody done in the style of the White Stripes that attributes superhuman feats to Charles Nelson Reilly kind of akin to the popular Chuck Norris facts on the internet. As a sample of the lyrics of "CNR", "Charles Nelson Reilly won the Tour de France with two flat tires and a missing chain / He trained a rattlesnake to do his laundry, I'm telling you the man was insane / He could rip out your beating heart, and show it to you before you died / Everyday he'd make the host of Match Game give him a piggyback ride / Yeah, two hour piggyback ride, giddy up Gene". I may be biased towards Weird Al, but I enjoy any kind of media that acts as commentary on society because I feel like that is something we really need as a society. And Weird Al is just straight up entertaining.

katalyzt13
    I think it would be neat if he put out a few albums of "non-parody" type music just to show what he's got.
    jesse1994
    Denjario
    jesse1994 wrote: Cant wait for him to make a justin beiber thing, and itd sound like weird al was on helium. as a way of mocking him, not idolizing him.
    He did baby in Polka Face (his polka medley)
    Sean-Man
    shua27 wrote: Weird Al has changed immensely, from parodying good music from the 80s 90s etc. to what he does now which is just terrible.
    He parodies what is popular at the time, and i love it! if you do not realize the genius that is Weird Al, then you are truly lost.
    doomsdayscottie
    that cover... is the most Metal thing i have ever seen. Slayer should just throw in the towel now and just put text on blank white. they will never out do this
    -xCaMRocKx-
    I'm a bit nervous about this album, because I don't really recognise the songs he's parodying. I'm sure the ones he's written himself "in the style of" other people will be pretty good though. I've seen some studio footage of him and the man KNOWS HIS MUSIC. He's great with theory, he writes out all the notation himself, he knows exactly what he wants every instrument and every voice (and this is including things like oboe and cello and even ukulele) to sound like. Whether or not you find him funny, there's no denying that the man is a brilliant musician.
    jay3213
    Oh great..... Guy doesnt make me laugh one bit and i laugh at everything
    SmittyMan90
    Xx__benji__xX wrote: I love Weird Al, but it's very obvious sometimes he takes a lot of inspiration from Frank Zappa, which no one could say isn't a good thing!
    True
    Jsteele1408
    Igamikun
    Ughh ringtone is like a an annoying version of "Don't stop me Now" by Queen. I don't think he's lost his talent, but his older songs were better. Probably because they were based off better music.
    ledzep426
    AL IS GOD, he is amazing live, his entire catolauge is awesome, and this album is no dissapointment, he hasn't made a sub-par album since the mid-80s, and even then it was still comic-gold, and nobody on this metal-loving site can deny that that album cover has some sick appeal, LONG LIVE THE JESTER OF ROCK AND ROLL: "WEIRD AL" YANKOVIC
    Dpullam
    Jsteele1408 wrote: jay3213 wrote: Oh great..... Guy doesnt make me laugh one bit and i laugh at everything Same. I've never enjoyed musical comedy. I love comedy, and I love music, but I don't like them together. Pizza and Ice Cream sort of thing, I suppose.
    Yeah I basically agree. Alot of people find him funny but I don't. It is just not my cup of tea.
    Natrone
    Weird Al has always parodied pop music. May I remind you how many of his early songs were parodies of Micheal Jackson?
    ninjagayden777
    I love how Al opperates. Fall out of the public eye for a few years, then suddenly release a new album full of amazing parody tracks. Makes it even more exciting when his releases do come out.
    Mainer
    Weird Al is great. I just got his "Essential" compilation. I hope Alpocalypse is good, I'll have to check it out
    Lion_Slicer
    Interesting. Until I was 14, Weird Al was pretty much the ONLY music I listened to. No way I'm not getting this!
    EpiExplorer
    Xx__benji__xX
    iheartgun
    i love Weird Al, he really is a lyrical genius. he was also my first concert way back when.....great live performer too
    joestrat5000
    I've heared better from him, but there is still some stuff rly worth checking out, craigslist specifically. and the cover is pretty boss
    shua27
    Like I Is
    The 80s and 90s are over. I'm so glad I live in a world where Weird Al can make it to the front page of a guitar website. The man's a genius.
    AcousticMetal99
    Weird Al is the best parody writer EVER! he's amazing. the lyrics fit so well, are just brilliant. he's one of my favourite singing comedians, with Steven Lynch and tim Minchin XD
    Slaytan666
    I've heard 'Whatever you like', and it was hilarious. I'm definitely getting this.
    katalyzt13
    EpiExplorer wrote: Loved everything he's done, although Brandon made it out to be a semi-serious music-political thingy.
    You're right, maybe I emphasized this stuff when I was writing the review, but I've always felt his parody does have some serious subtext regarding society in some cases.
    katalyzt13
    I've read something about this somewhere. Zappa is pure awesomeness. Very rarely is there ever a serious musician and composer who actualy has a good sense of humor.
    headbang123
    Weird Al is back! Nothing will ever top Eat It or Trapped In The Drive Thru but this sounds awesome.
    Jon777
    Huh. I completely forgot about Weird Al up until now. I might check this out for ol' times' sake.
    Llamalegs
    Picked this album up this morning; It's great! Love the Jim Steinman parody Stop Forwarding That Crap to Me. About the Frank Zappa influence, note the song Genius in France
    K Reyn
    I saw Weird Al talking about this album on that Jimmy Fallon show last night. It sounds cool and Weird Al is super talented so I think I may just check it out.