Over The Top review by White Wizzard

White Wizzard: Over The Top

White Wizzard aren't trying to make a joke out of classic metal or the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. They aren't a parody. They aren't a throwback. They aren't hipsters trying to resurrect the golden era of metal for a laugh, thanks to their bombast. Not a chance. This LA-based troupe definitely have a sense of humor about their craft, but they are by no means a joke band. They take their music seriously, much like 3 Inches of Blood, as they pay homage to an era gone by that most of us still adore. Noodly solos, tons of riff work and longer-than-average songs are the order of the day on Over the Top, which proudly displays its metal worship like a badge of honor! Metal godfathers such as Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Dio are certainly smiling upon their legacy, which White Wizzard are doing everything in their power to uphold. It forces a smile to see a crew of young turks pay their respect to metal.

My metal heart will never die. That's a lyrical statement on Deuces, which I won't lie, reminds me of Maiden's Aces High. As stated previously, White Wizzard aren't sending metal classics up; they are merely proud of their influence and fold them into their classic metal style. There's a reason they call vocalist Wyatt Anderson a screamin' demon, because he possesses a healthy set of pipes that allow him to let out high-pitched roars that would make Dickinson and Halford smile and pat him on the back. Everything about Anderson's delivery is the antithesis of overly growled, extreme metal and whiny, emo-influenced styles. He's not trying to crack glass with his pitch, but he certainly goes for broke. The result is an album that is fun to listen to, fun to rock out to and certainly fun to right about. Any song here could be the feel good hit of the summer, at least for the metal crowd!

It'd be super easy to dismiss White Wizzard as a joke or a parody, but that'd also be a disservice to yourself and the band if you like classic metal with a pure power feel. It'd also be totally erroneous, since these guys take their music as seriously as they would a case of gonorrhea! They're apt players. They've got a capable and able vocalist. They write catchy songs even if they do tend to hang around a bit longer than they need to. Our only (and tiny at that) gripe is that the songs could benefit from an editing hand and be trimmed down a bit and we're not talking about the solos, either. The songs are just a wee bit too long sometimes. Other than that, White Wizzard are injecting the metal scene with an always welcomed dose of excitement and fun. There is a fine line between having fun and being silly and the Wizzard never crosses it.