Over The Top Review

artist: White Wizzard date: 04/08/2010 category: compact discs
White Wizzard: Over The Top
Released: Feb 8, 2010 (Europe); Mar 9, 2010 (North America)
Genre: Heavy Metal
Label: Earache Records
The 1980s are alive thanks to bands like White Wizzard who are as serious as a communicable disease with the appropriately named Over the Top.
 9.1
 9.1
Over The Top Reviewed by: UG Team, on april 08, 2010

Sound: White Wizzard aren't trying to make a joke out of classic metal or the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. They aren't a parody. They aren't a throwback. They aren't hipsters trying to resurrect the golden era of metal for a laugh, thanks to their bombast. Not a chance. This LA-based troupe definitely have a sense of humor about their craft, but they are by no means a joke band. They take their music seriously, much like 3 Inches of Blood, as they pay homage to an era gone by that most of us still adore. Noodly solos, tons of riff work and longer-than-average songs are the order of the day on Over the Top, which proudly displays its metal worship like a badge of honor! Metal godfathers such as Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Dio are certainly smiling upon their legacy, which White Wizzard are doing everything in their power to uphold. It forces a smile to see a crew of young turks pay their respect to metal. // 8

Lyrics: My metal heart will never die. That's a lyrical statement on Deuces, which I won't lie, reminds me of Maiden's Aces High. As stated previously, White Wizzard aren't sending metal classics up; they are merely proud of their influence and fold them into their classic metal style. There's a reason they call vocalist Wyatt Anderson a screamin' demon, because he possesses a healthy set of pipes that allow him to let out high-pitched roars that would make Dickinson and Halford smile and pat him on the back. Everything about Anderson's delivery is the antithesis of overly growled, extreme metal and whiny, emo-influenced styles. He's not trying to crack glass with his pitch, but he certainly goes for broke. The result is an album that is fun to listen to, fun to rock out to and certainly fun to right about. Any song here could be the feel good hit of the summer, at least for the metal crowd! // 9

Overall Impression: It'd be super easy to dismiss White Wizzard as a joke or a parody, but that'd also be a disservice to yourself and the band if you like classic metal with a pure power feel. It'd also be totally erroneous, since these guys take their music as seriously as they would a case of gonorrhea! They're apt players. They've got a capable and able vocalist. They write catchy songs even if they do tend to hang around a bit longer than they need to. Our only (and tiny at that) gripe is that the songs could benefit from an editing hand and be trimmed down a bit and we're not talking about the solos, either. The songs are just a wee bit too long sometimes. Other than that, White Wizzard are injecting the metal scene with an always welcomed dose of excitement and fun. There is a fine line between having fun and being silly and the Wizzard never crosses it. // 8

- Amy Sciarretto (c) 2010

Over The Top Reviewed by: rickyj, on april 08, 2010

Sound: White Wizzard is a Heavy Metal band that formed in 2007 out of Los Angeles, California. Their debut album, Over the Top, released in February 2010, is an epic mix of New Wave of British Heavy metal influence and Power Metal. Because of the traditional metal sound, at first listen you will probably think that this record was released in 1986. Wyatt "Screamin' Demon" Anderson's vocals sound like Rob Halford mixed with Bruce Dickinson and Michael Kiske from Helloween, so be prepared for glass to shatter as your ears start to bleed. The lead guitar work of Erik Kluiber is very melodic with heart pounding solos and lead riffs that sound like Iron Maiden on steroids. Jon Leon's bass playing sounds like Geezer Butler and steve harris, with Giovanni Durst's drumming every song is fast and full of energy while being held together perfectly during Chad Bryan and Erik Kruiber's dual lead guitar sections. The musicianship and huge overall sound of this record will make your balls explode, especially if your a fan of classic heavy metal acts like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest and metal bands like Helloween and Saxon. // 10

Lyrics: The Lyrics of this album are mainly about what you would expect from a Power Metal band, wizards, death, satan, hell, and "Metal Gods". The vocal style and lyricism of Wyatt Anderson are clearly influenced by Rob Halford. There is a cover of the song "Heading Out to the Highway" from British Steel on the album and he uses "Metal God"(Halford's nickname)in the song "Iron Goddess of Vengeance" along with "ride the lightning"(a Metallica album) and "Raining Blood"(a Slayer album) to describe the "Iron Goddess". The Lyrics overall are somewhat forgettable and cheesy, however the vocal abilities of Wyatt are incredible. He's definitely my favorite singer from any newly formed band I have heard in a long time. The guy can scream his ass off on the album and live from some live footage I have seen. // 9

Overall Impression: This album has definitely surprised me. I heard about the band in a commercial for the album on VH1 classic, and it looked ridiculous. I wasn't going to buy the album based on what I saw, but luckily I came across the track High Speed GTO from the 7 track EP of the same name released last July which I also bought immediately. The most impressive songs on the album, I would say are Over the Top, Strike of the Viper, and Iron Goddess of Vengeance. What I love most about the album is the classic sounding vocals and melodic guitar solos that you just don't commonly hear in Heavy Metal music anymore. I have nothing bad to say about this album, it is by far my favorite album of this year and it is better than most albums released last year. This album is definitely worth the money and I would definately buy it again. This album should not be missed by anyone that is a fan of classic Power Metal and NWOBHM. // 10

Comments