La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Vol. 1 review by White Zombie

• Released: Mar 31, 1992
White Zombie: La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Vol. 1

I bought this album after listening to "Welcome To Planet Motherf--ker" and "Thunderkiss '65", and I was a little uneasy. I found that this was a great CD. The guitar, although quite rhythmic at times, pulled some solos off in good fashion. The drums were quite steady (almost boring) however, he integrated his drums, adding effects to the guitar (just made it sound better, plus the triple kicks on Black Sunshine were superb). The bass delivered, and Rob Zombie was definitely a genius, adding almost a rap like sound, with some samples and such, and delivering out the songs with almost a thrash/death metal-like croak.

The lyrics were quite odd. Black Sunshine was quite a decent lyrical performance, but other than that, some didn't really make sense at all. I believe Rob Zombie was trying to do this, but I'm not sure. However, with his weird vocals coming in, 2 wrongs seemed to make a right. It flowed perfectly with the songs, but for the fact that they weren't lyrics, so much as random rhyming words, especially Thunderkiss '65, and Welcome To Planet Motherf--ker, I'd score it only a 4/5.

This album is quite possibly a cornerstone in nu-metal, not so much am I of that fan base, but the sheer pioneering of it, is amazing. It's not so much the lyrics and instrumental that make the CD, but the sheer brilliance of it, that made it worth it to listen. The songs also don't all sound the same. Although some are quite quick, songs like Warp Asylum, Starface and I am Legend, are fairly slow, but just, if not more, creepy than the quick ones. This is a great album, and if it were stolen, I would go to the store and get a new one, and if it was sold out, I'd order it, and wait the extra two weeks.