A New Era Of Corruption review by Whitechapel

• Released: Jun 8, 2010
Whitechapel: A New Era Of Corruption

It's easy to get lost amongst the masses of metal bands out there pushing a "unique" sound. Whitechapel has, untill recently remained primarily in the underground scene. It's difficult for any band to establish a true identity when competing against genre giants such as Job for a Cowboy, but A New Era of Currution establishes that this band is every bit as brutal and creative as the current masters of this genre. Technically, the band delivers a huge improvement upon their previous album, This is Exile. The song structures deliver a much more memorable album, and the attention to the grove or the feel of the music still firmly places this album within that same sound that has given Whitechapel its identity. A New Era of Curruption should impress both followers of the band and sceptics alike.

Bozeman (vocals) has improved on his technique tenfold. Each track has a unique and important message. For example, (End of Flesh) delivers a vocal performance that melds brilliantly with the guitar work underneath. In an attempt to make his work more accesible, Bozeman has tried to clarify his words while improving on that gritty, deep scream that is reminiscent of the work of J.Davy (JFAC). In every single respect, Whitechapel delivers on these promises. Other tracks in particular, such as (Murder Sermon) strike a very personal note to the band- focusing on the death of Bozeman's mother. The willingness to express these feelings on record is something of an achievement- and it is pulled off with great finess.

Whereas the previous album has certain tracks that carried the rest through (point in case; Posession from the album This is Exile) A New Era of Corruption is consistently strong. It's clear that Whitechapel has understood the importance of this LP. Delivering a huge following after This is Exile- A New Era of Corruption is many respects a "Make or Break" effort. The rhythmic prowess that Whitechapel flaunted in their previous albums makes an even stronger return in this album- and so do the lyrics. Tracks like "End of Flesh", "Breeding Violence", "The Darkest Day of Man" really showcase the talent of the band. This is a hugely impressive album that I'm sure will stand the test of time. If you're a fan of Whitechapel- I would ensure that you go out and get a taste of what they've delivered as fast as you possibly can.

\m/(-_-)\m/
    NEWER BANDS GETTING RECOGNITION OVER OLDER ONES?!?! IN THIS DAY AND AGE?!?!? UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!
    Dakkstar
    wow, it's so stupid to hear the bitching about "core" metalcore comes from the blend of hardcore punk and metal, just like how early thrash was a blend of hardcore punk and speed metal. deathcore, mathcore and so on are subgenres of metalcore and due to what metalcore being what it is, all subgenres of metalcore are metal, just like how all sub genres of thrash are metal, so on and so forth. I'm sick of hearing from metal "purists". Metal hasn't been pure in years especially with further genre distinctions. Anyway. Deathcore is hokey, it's just simpified metalcore with cookie monster vocals. I don't hear death metal in it anywhere, considering death metal is usually technical.
    Thomas Vela
    people, we shouldn't argue genres (tho there are some really shitty deathcore bands) we should be proud for any from of metal, instead of saying "**** suicide silence" or "**** deathcore" we should say "**** mainstream pop" or "**** justin beiber". just because some bands dont have wut you call talent (i think system of a down has almost no talent) dont mean we should hate the whole genre, we should be proud that we dont rap or sing with a mic that connects to your ear so you could dance. lol
    BwareDWare94
    Deathmethod wrote: ItWillDo wrote: Clearly you haven't listened to After The Burial of Veil of Maya. Both bands have a major influx of many other genres and they incorporate it into their music. Just listen to 'Pi (The Mercury God Of Infinity)' or 'The Uprising'/It's not safe to swim today. Both amazing songs which do require talent to both play and write. Although I personally prefer the Rareform album from After the Burial I still concur. That and I actually really like Suicide Silence, at first it didn't seem all that great, but after listening for a while I started to realize their genius.
    I hope you're kidding. The word "genius" can't be put anywhere near Suicide Silence. They're terrible.
    Moralless
    i've been listening to metal for years and years, which is why it confuses me when people talk shit about deathcore all sounding the same while death metal is amazing. From what I've heard, death metal bands all sound the same, just like all musicians in the same genre sound the same. Anyway, this album was amazing, and no other band sounds like Whitechapel.
    roosterfx1
    well they're definitely better than suicide silence, wich are a bit wank in my opinion
    EpiExplorer
    Too right, shame this band is infact in those masses.
    TheAbsentOne
    DrPeppler
    I knew before I even opened this link what I would be stepping into and I was absolutely correct: a genre war and some metal lovers and/or haters fighting like children. Surprise, surprise. You guys never fail, haha. I also love the reviews that you [UG] choose. Do you purposefully choose the least informative, fan-boy adoring, and grammatically incorrect summaries to make the bands look good and seem like even a retard can enjoy listening to them? Just wondering. Anyway, back to subject: Whitechapel's "A New Era of Corruption". Funny thing about this album is that, not only does it sound strangely reminiscent to "This is Exile"--hmm, I wonder how many bands that has happened to recently, haha--, but I guess they couldn't help themselves and even had to borrow the new album title from the previously stated album's number-one track, "Possession". I will even quote it for you: "Man will inspire the works of A NEW ERA OF CORRUPTION." I am beginning to wonder exactly how much pull a record label has with its bands because I would imagine that anyone with any normal brain function would not want to keep shelling out the same material with a different name and saying "Oh! It's so 'new,' so 'different'!" I guess we may be relapsing from the Renaissance, who knows? Come on, people, this is sad. Even I was a fan of "This is Exile", but I cannot enjoy "A New Era of Corruption". If I even had the slightest urge to listen to their [Whitechapel] newest album, I would be doing myself an injustice by not just picking up "This is Exile" instead. Same style, better vocal quality, nicer groove, and even the same basic notation. BTW, I cannot wait to read the responses to this. If, that is, there even are any.
    Cafas
    That's true, the songs I were posted were created far apart, but even under that criteria, before 1992 you already had Atrocity, Cynic, Morbid Angel, and Entombed. All were playing death metal, and yet none of them really sound that much alike. You could see the similarities between each band, but they were unique from each other. I'm sure someone could easily recommend me 5 deathcore bands that don't sound alike, but when you compare where the genre is in its life to death metal at a similar point, I think it's pretty obvious which genre was more groundbreaking. Bands like Veil of Maya try to change it up, but instead of sounding fresh, it sounds calculated. At the very least, the most popular deathcore bands don't really hold a candle to the most popular bands in other genres, let alone the underground. Hell, I don't even need a band like Whitechapel to blow my mind, I just need them to not blow.
    Cafas
    I don't even know where to start. This entire post, in a nutshell, is why Whitechapel, bands of their ilk, and the entire subgenre get bashed so blatantly, and will continue so for as long as trends flow through metal.
    Cafas
    Yeah, why be ignorant towards metal when you can apply that same kind of stupidity to other forms of music that don't have the guitar as the featured instrument?
    Thomas Vela
    wow that sucks dude, i wouldn't boo someone unless, i knew them personally and hated them, or if they couldn't keep there scale right. Metal was not made to "dance" to, im not saying i hate people that do, but if someone plays something that you cant dance to doesn't mean you have to boo them. metal was made to bang your head to or mosh.
    GuerillaGorilla
    Cafas wrote: Like, wow. If you can honestly listen to a song like Hammer Smashed Face (Cannibal Corpse) and Behave Through Mythos (Gorguts) and say they sound the same, you need to check your brain at the door. Obviously -core is generalized, and probably unfairly, but I can say without exaggeration that there is generally much more variation in death metal as a whole. It's over saturated, yes, but the differences between Veil of Maya and Suicide Silence are a lot smaller than between Dismember and Portal (Australia). I don't think any intelligent metal head would get riled up enough about crap like Suicide Silence or Whitechapel, as I'm sure lots of them, myself included, have plenty of our own favourites that aren't exactly great. To be frank, the stupidity comes in when you act like said bands are anything more than a fun listen amongst genuinely amazing and enduring albums. Whitechapel might be a draw now, but do you honestly think this new album is going to be talked about and influential in 20 years compared to Effigy of the Forgotten?
    You can't really be too harsh on Deathcore. The two Death songs you posted were released 9 years apart from each other, in all fairness- my point is that Death Metal's been around a lot longer, so there's been a lot of room for innovation in the genre. However, Deathcore's only been around for a little less than a decade, it's still a relatively new genre, so there hasn't been too much time to branch out. Everything else I agree with, though. Hopefully Deathcore can get some real innovaters that can break away from the "get as heavy as possible via breakdowns for the scene kids" mantra. I'm not going to write of the genre or any other -core (well, aside from crap like Crunkcore) unlike other "true" metal fans here.
    hornet224
    Or worse... Megadeth opening for Miley Cyrus. < That's what we're headed for, bros. Long Live The Metals.
    hildesaw
    Dakkstar wrote: saw them live... all bass booms, couldn't hear the music... I was there to see metal, not subwoofer booms. On another note, Dirge Within, Chimaira and Trivium were great that night.
    That was one of the best concerts of my life. Although Darkest Hour was there and not Chimaira. Yeah, I took a seat on the balcony during Whitechapel. I had seen them headline once before where they got blown out by Veil of Maya who played before them, and then Suffocation actually headlined at this venue. It was kind of sad to see half of the crowd, albeit scene kids, leave after Whitechapel.
    a_n00berthon
    Pretty in Casts
    travislausch wrote: GuerillaGorilla wrote: Hopefully Deathcore can get some real innovaters that can break away from the "get as heavy as possible via breakdowns for the scene kids" mantra. But the problem is, that's ALL Deathcore is. If anyone experimented with it even in the slightest, it'd just stop being Deathcore altogether. Like, with Beneath The Massacre, somehow they're considered to be "Technical/Brutal Death Metal" if Wikipedia is to be believed (which it's not), if only because they use time signatures other than 4/4 and the main riffs of the song aren't based on muddy chromatics off the low A string. Otherwise, they're just another cookie-cutter deathcore band with extremely low tunings, breakdowns, shitty blastbeats, and the exact same monotonous-sounding grunted vocals as every other band on the scene. And worse, none of it even sounds REMOTELY good, live. Sure, if you put these bands in stadiums with really good P.A. systems, maybe it'd sound okay, but every time I've been to a concert, the deathcore acts all sound like muddy bullshit and "subwoofer booms" as another member so eloquently put it. There's absolutely no definition in any of the instrumental sounds and the vocals are just as monotonous as on the albums...
    You are correct. I've seen quite a few deathcore/metalcore bands live, and only a few of em ever sound good. After the Burial is actually great, as is Veil of Maya, but the so called "broota1" deathcore always sounds god awful live, and the worst part is, Kids love it! I wonder if kids these days are just plain stupid, that's the only way an annoying 8-o-8 bass bumped breakdown could sound good to them
    rootbeer999
    i don't like this band because I hate the vocalist. if they got a better singer they would not be as bad.
    BwareDWare94
    a_n00berthon wrote: I sorta have to disagree slightly with BwareDWare94's Review. Sure, I actually do like the singing on their newest album since it is alot easier to understand what Phil is saying and that he explored with high pitched screams like on "Programmed To Hate" 2:50. But the way they put their songs together for this album was not so good. There is only probably one memorable song from the newest album which is "Darkest Day Of Man". If you listen to "This Is Exile", the majority of their songs are somewhat memorable. However, the new guitar sounds with the drums are another reason this is album is 2nd best out of the 3 they've made (In my opinion). Maybe if they had a few more breakdowns rather than putting classical guitar compositions on the bridges, would have altered by liking.
    I like the album because there aren't way too many breakdowns. This is Exile got so damn boring at times. I'm really starting to dig Somatic Defilement because it's got much more traditional death influence.
    mcdiddles
    i came here because i love to see genre wars, you dumb asses complain about bands in a genre all sound the same, well, that's why there are genres dumb ****s, btw, i hate whitechapel and deathcore. All you scene fags go listen to innovative bands like Cynic. There is nothing to appreciate in deathcore.
    mcdiddles
    D-Fraz35
    That is Chino Moreno of the Deftones at 2:50 in the song jackass.
    bamfderpfähler
    so to the unregistered reviewer, since when does phil bozeman sound anything like job for a cowboy's vocalist? he's not a pig squealing bitch. sure, their new cd was pretty death, but its still really ****ing tough to come close to phils vocals. regardless, this album is not even close to a letdown. WHITECHAPEL FTW
    ItWillDo
    TheAbsentOne wrote: White Chapel sounds so generic to me. It's right there with Suicide Silence. All these deathcore bands (Is that the "correct" genre?) sound the same. I'm not trying to genre-bash. It's just the truth. My personal opinion, I can't see the talent in a death-whatever band. It's basically "Lets get heavy as possible." Idk. Not my style. I've listened to all of their "This is Exile" album quite a few times because of friends. Needless to say it doesn't stick with me.
    travislausch
    espplayer400 wrote: damnit. not another genre war! its all metal people, lets just get along!
    Arguably, there are only two kinds of music: Good music and bad music. And this is most certainly bad music.
    Lazarus.Bird
    Eurasian_C wrote: BwareDWare94 wrote: ExOblivione wrote: Lazarus.Bird wrote: Whitechapel has one of the biggest scene followings in the deathcore genre and probably has received way more attention than they deserve. Don't know why the second review makes them sound like underground super heroes. Hell when I saw them on tour with Suffocation they actually headlined because more people were there to see them. Whitechapel headlining over Suffocation! What is the world coming to. That's not as bad as Dark Tranquillity opening for Killswitch Engage and The Devil Wears Prada... Agreed tenfold. That downright pissed me off. But it sure was fun to repeatedly say "Man this band sucks" between songs when TDWP was playing. All the fanboys would turn around, see that I could probably kick their ass, and wouldn't say a thing . It was hilarious. I was at the Boston show at House of Blues. No one paid that much attention to Dark Tranquility, but I swear when TDWP got on stage, I saw a swarm of polo shirt wearing, collar-popped brah-daggz in the pit. Fucking shamefully hilarious. Just saying.
    Haha very similar experiences. A bunch of scene kids were at the barrier during Suffocation and weren't even moving to the music while they waited for Whitechapel. I grabbed one of them and screamed something like "don't you know who the **** this is?!?!" Oh well... Bottom line is the last two times I saw Whitechapel live they were garbage. As someone else mentioned, it sounds like a constant stream of subwaves with a severe lack of melody and rhythm. This album is boring with a capital B.
    Eurasian_C
    EpiExplorer
    AdenZerda wrote: ExOblivione That's not as bad as Dark Tranquillity opening for Killswitch Engage and The Devil Wears Prada... What. What.
    I only just read that. WHUT I remember a time when long lived famous and well established bands were headliners. Then it got commercialized by this whole '-core whatever' fad. I bet some day it will be something like Gamma Ray opening for BFMV..
    shadowsoldier08
    somatic defilement was an amazing cd...at the time, right when everybody was jumping on the zomg dethcore bandwagon. when this is exile came out, i was already bored with the scene, and couldnt really stand most of the album. new era, however, seems a lot more situational, less bland breakdowns and typical trem. riffs, its calmly and quite seems that they could be headed for something a little less generic.
    Deathmethod
    ExOblivione
    Lion_Slicer
    WTF Suffocation is not just older and better... They're a lot better. Leagues better. One of the best death metal bands in history. Whitechapel would be amazingly lucky to become known as a death metal band period. Not that I don't enjoy listening to them once in a while... but wow. I guess that's the world today... remember, when Cynic opened for DragonForce, they actually got booed. Lastly, unregistered's review--A New Era of Currution? Attention to the grove? Did you bother having your eyes open to type?
    Scumofsociety
    There's only a few deathcore bands I enjoy, and Whitechapel is one of them. This new album is really good imo, since it has more of a brutal death metal feel to it than deathcore. When I saw Suffocation/Whitechapel last year, it was the other way around with Suffo headlining; the way it should be
    Lazarus.Bird
    I saw Whitechapel for the first time when they were the opening act on a Summer Slaughter tour a few years ago. No one had heard of them and they were pretty terrific for the opening band with no one paying attention to them. I kind of enjoyed This Is Exile. It was pretty simple but it flowed very well and had some good groove to it. The last time I saw them was at Ottobar in Baltimore with Job For a Cowboy and Cattle Decapitation and dear god were they horrible. The drummer was completely out of sync and the guitarists sounded like they played the same open chords over and over. Josh Elmore is the ONLY guitarist for Cattle Decap and was a million times better than all three Whitechapel guitarists combined, in terms of both presence and sound. I listened to this album on my way to work this morning. Did they even have to record for this? Sounds like they took all the notes from This Is Exile and rearranged them in a less appealing order. It lacks the groove that made This Is Exile contagious even though it lacked technical prowess. I try not to be a music snob, but I associate this type of music as an alternative to rap. Hot Topic latches on to this style as the current music that gets 14 year olds to spend their money. If you enjoy this, more power to you. But to me it is just a bunch of rehashed breakdowns and will be the last time I bother listening to this band. Not sure how these guys got big when there are a million other bands that sound the same.
    metalcore123
    If you think this music is talentless, please try to play the drum track or vocal track to 90% of Whitechapel's music. Bet you cant. If it were talentless, dont you think everyone would be doing it? (possibly including you?)
    Emmanuel200
    Ewww... Suicide Silence... Wither wayy.. A lot of metal core bands are pretty boys now.. It's pretty lame. I think the scene was better before bands that involved a lot of screaming became a trend to high school kids.
    cleggems
    Listened to all of the tracks and I have to say, I'm not a massive fan. The one thing that really kept me interested in Whitechapel was Phil's voice, and yes, while it does sound 'brutal', theres no change in it. I loved his variations on This is Exile between the highs and lows, it would be constant and would keep you guessing, but its missing from this album. Not many memorable riffs either. End of Flesh from 0:28 to 1:20 are great and necromechanical has some good riffage, but apart from that nothing really captured me. Certainly no decent intros like Possession!
    GetTheGasoline wrote: Listen to Periphery and you will cum
    Until the singer sings anyways. I can't get into anything related to deathcore. It's either "listen to me tune down to A on an Ibanez and play muddy chromatic runs while our vocalist grunts incomprehensibly!" or in the case of bands like Periphery and After The Burial, "kids like Meshuggah, right? And they like emo and scene stuff right? Let's mix them together, we'll be more popular than Jesus!". So either brutality for brutality's sake or second-rate Meshuggah worship. Ehn.
    AdenZerda
    What. What.
    tyrogue
    Echoplex wrote: Deathcore, not metal. There are big asthetic differences.
    EpiExplorer
    tyrogue wrote: Echoplex wrote: Deathcore, not metal. There are big asthetic differences. technically, Deathcore is a fusion genre of Metalcore and Death Metal, both of which stem from Thrash Metal. So they are metal, maybe not YOUR kind of metal, but they are metal indeed.
    Things with the -core prefixes are primarily punk genres. All stems from hardcore. From hardcore to thrashcore to grindcore, then mixing hardcore with NWOBHM/thrash metal to get metalcore, jazz/prog metal to get mathcore and death metal to get deathcore. And thats why its not metal. Its -core.
    xicetraex
    Actually, the -core suffix signifies roots from PUNK, not thrash metal.