A New Era Of Corruption review by Whitechapel

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Jun 8, 2010
  • Sound: 8
  • Lyrics: 8
  • Overall Impression: 8
  • Reviewer's score: 8 Superb
  • Users' score: 8.5 (87 votes)
Whitechapel: A New Era Of Corruption
0

Sound — 8
The sound quality is far better than the previous two albums. Phil Bozeman definately is better at vocals. There is a bit more variaty than in the previous albums. Some nice accoustic passages as well as a few solos make for interesting guitar parts. Now for the biggest change. I heard bass! They definately bumped up Gabe's volume, and even gave him a few small features, which is almost unheard of in deathcore. They should have put a different song as the first one, it just didn't seem very strong. Other than that, the sound was great.

Lyrics — 8
Phil does it again. Harsh vocals and more variaty than the past albums. The lyrics in this album are definately darker, more violent, and more emotional than in previous recordings. One thing about Whitechapel is that their lyrics never seem to flow smoothly. Sometimes, it almost sounds awkward. All in all, I think the lyrics, and how Bozeman delivers them, is done well.

Overall Impression — 8
This album is far better than many other deathcore albums I have heard. Most of the songs did not dissapoint. I like the sound quality, and how balanced all of the levels of the vocals and instruments were. I think it was a well made album, and all fans of the band and genre would not be dissapointed with it's purchase. I would reccomend it to anyone.

16 comments sorted by best / new / date

    jonathanonfire
    I hate how this band gets lumped in with Suicide Silence just because it's deathcore... but unlike Suicide Silence... Whitechapel can actually play their instruments.
    HoneyofRuin
    hornet224 wrote: I remember a time when long lived famous and well established bands were headliners. Then it got commercialized by this whole '-core whatever' fad. I bet some day it will be something like Gamma Ray opening for BFMV.. Or worse... Megadeth opening for Miley Cyrus. < That's what we're headed for, bros. Long Live The Metals.
    Then we all might as well participate in planetary suicide if that happens.
    HoneyofRuin
    Pretty in Casts wrote: travislausch wrote: GuerillaGorilla wrote: Hopefully Deathcore can get some real innovaters that can break away from the "get as heavy as possible via breakdowns for the scene kids" mantra. But the problem is, that's ALL Deathcore is. If anyone experimented with it even in the slightest, it'd just stop being Deathcore altogether. Like, with Beneath The Massacre, somehow they're considered to be "Technical/Brutal Death Metal" if Wikipedia is to be believed (which it's not), if only because they use time signatures other than 4/4 and the main riffs of the song aren't based on muddy chromatics off the low A string. Otherwise, they're just another cookie-cutter deathcore band with extremely low tunings, breakdowns, shitty blastbeats, and the exact same monotonous-sounding grunted vocals as every other band on the scene. And worse, none of it even sounds REMOTELY good, live. Sure, if you put these bands in stadiums with really good P.A. systems, maybe it'd sound okay, but every time I've been to a concert, the deathcore acts all sound like muddy bullshit and "subwoofer booms" as another member so eloquently put it. There's absolutely no definition in any of the instrumental sounds and the vocals are just as monotonous as on the albums... You are correct. I've seen quite a few deathcore/metalcore bands live, and only a few of em ever sound good. After the Burial is actually great, as is Veil of Maya, but the so called "broota1" deathcore always sounds god awful live, and the worst part is, Kids love it! I wonder if kids these days are just plain stupid, that's the only way an annoying 8-o-8 bass bumped breakdown could sound good to them
    It's called personal preference - not stupidity. Because a kid likes a breakdown and/or any band with a breakdown doesn't make them stupid.
    FearOfTheDuck
    EpiExplorer wrote: AdenZerda wrote: ExOblivione That's not as bad as Dark Tranquillity opening for Killswitch Engage and The Devil Wears Prada... What. What. I only just read that. WHUT I remember a time when long lived famous and well established bands were headliners. Then it got commercialized by this whole '-core whatever' fad. I bet some day it will be something like Gamma Ray opening for BFMV..
    Well, BFMV are one of the biggest bands in a long time and are doing a sell out Arena tour this year. Very, very few bands can do that. I remember being pissed off when MCR headlined Download in 2007 when Megadeth or Slayer were playing the same day lower down. But you have to realise that the organisers need something to make people buy tickets. They're not going to make any money with Kreator, Overkill and Dark Tranquility headlining. Thats why we see the same festival headliners time and again. Anyway, deathcore, meh. Let the scene kids with their ridiculous 30mm plugs have their fun.
    beijingbangbang
    It's just music, and people are going to like what people are going to like, if this wasn't the case then Lady Gaga wouldn't exist.
    wezoweez
    TheAbsentOne wrote: White Chapel sounds so generic to me. It's right there with Suicide Silence. All these deathcore bands (Is that the "correct" genre?) sound the same. I'm not trying to genre-bash. It's just the truth. My personal opinion, I can't see the talent in a death-whatever band. It's basically "Lets get heavy as possible." Idk. Not my style. I've listened to all of their "This is Exile" album quite a few times because of friends. Needless to say it doesn't stick with me.
    You just have to listen to the talented deathcore bands. like Veil of Maya Born of Osiris After the Burial Conducting From the Grave Burning the Masses is pretty good. Wretched As Blood Runs Black...bands that actually have melody and stuff. i agree with bands like this though. suicide silence whitechapel impending doom despised icon. yuck.
    TwoDaysTwoNight
    Lazarus.Bird wrote: I saw Whitechapel for the first time when they were the opening act on a Summer Slaughter tour a few years ago. No one had heard of them and they were pretty terrific for the opening band with no one paying attention to them. I kind of enjoyed This Is Exile. It was pretty simple but it flowed very well and had some good groove to it. The last time I saw them was at Ottobar in Baltimore with Job For a Cowboy and Cattle Decapitation and dear god were they horrible. The drummer was completely out of sync and the guitarists sounded like they played the same open chords over and over. Josh Elmore is the ONLY guitarist for Cattle Decap and was a million times better than all three Whitechapel guitarists combined, in terms of both presence and sound. I listened to this album on my way to work this morning. Did they even have to record for this? Sounds like they took all the notes from This Is Exile and rearranged them in a less appealing order. It lacks the groove that made This Is Exile contagious even though it lacked technical prowess. I try not to be a music snob, but I associate this type of music as an alternative to rap. Hot Topic latches on to this style as the current music that gets 14 year olds to spend their money. If you enjoy this, more power to you. But to me it is just a bunch of rehashed breakdowns and will be the last time I bother listening to this band. Not sure how these guys got big when there are a million other bands that sound the same.
    Better marketing and agent perhaps?
    test1cles
    wezoweez wrote: You just have to listen to the talented deathcore bands. like Veil of Maya Born of Osiris After the Burial Conducting From the Grave Burning the Masses is pretty good. Wretched As Blood Runs Black Sumatra The Faceless Man Must Die bands that actually have melody and stuff.
    Echoplex
    Thomas Vela wrote: people, we shouldn't argue genres (tho there are some really ty deathcore bands) we should be proud for any from of metal, instead of saying "**** suicide silence" or "**** deathcore" we should say "**** mainstream pop" or "**** justin beiber". just because some bands dont have wut you call talent (i think system of a down has almost no talent) dont mean we should hate the whole genre, we should be proud that we dont rap or sing with a mic that connects to your ear so you could dance. lol
    The reason that many metalheads are against these "deathcore" bands is because it puts "metal" into a target-market category and is then produced only for the sake of making money. Have you ever walked into a Hot Topic store? Have you ever seen a stereotypical deathcore fanboy? You might notice that it all seems manufactured to appeal to trend followers instead of being inventive. (Real) Metal bands like Cynic and Opeth create music because they want to create art. They don't care about selling a lot of units but about sending a message and displaying their talents through their art. Deathcore (for the most part, not ALL of it) is based on copying other bands and rehashing their sounds so that the new band can make money. The tree of influences looks like the family tree of a trailer-park family. Despite this, there are still plenty of good "real" metal bands out there, and there will always be fans to support metal as an art, quia multi sumus.
    oxymorcide
    beijingbangbang wrote: It's just music, and people are going to like what people are going to like, if this wasn't the case then Lady Gaga wouldn't exist.
    Exactly, some people like this music. No reason for everyone to start bashing deathcore, deathcore is 'real' music for some. Its all a matter of opinion and taste, and if you dont like it, its really not youre problem.
    BwareDWare94
    Echoplex wrote: Thomas Vela wrote: people, we shouldn't argue genres (tho there are some really ty deathcore bands) we should be proud for any from of metal, instead of saying "**** suicide silence" or "**** deathcore" we should say "**** mainstream pop" or "**** justin beiber". just because some bands dont have wut you call talent (i think system of a down has almost no talent) dont mean we should hate the whole genre, we should be proud that we dont rap or sing with a mic that connects to your ear so you could dance. lolThe reason that many metalheads are against these "deathcore" bands is because it puts "metal" into a target-market category and is then produced only for the sake of making money. Have you ever walked into a Hot Topic store? Have you ever seen a stereotypical deathcore fanboy? You might notice that it all seems manufactured to appeal to trend followers instead of being inventive. (Real) Metal bands like Cynic and Opeth create music because they want to create art. They don't care about selling a lot of units but about sending a message and displaying their talents through their art. Deathcore (for the most part, not ALL of it) is based on copying other bands and rehashing their sounds so that the new band can make money. The tree of influences looks like the family tree of a trailer-park family. Despite this, there are still plenty of good "real" metal bands out there, and there will always be fans to support metal as an art, quia multi sumus.
    To an extent I agree with you, but I feel like Whitechapel separate themselves (if only marginally) from shit bands like Suicide Silence and The Acacia Strain because they are rather creative. There are of lot interesting leads on this record. The Drumming is also much more creative than This is Exile. I agree with your point if you're referring to This is Exile, but this record is definitely a bit more experimental.
    SomaticalEntity
    I've been a fan since I saw them early 2007, before Zach and Kevin were in it. I love listening to The Somatic Defilement and This Is Exile. I was so pumped when I heard about this back in December. Personally, I was not as impressed with this album. There wasn't as many catchy riffs or breakdowns. I think they focused to much on structure, and the guitar work just was not technical enough for me. I don't hate the album, but it's not my favorite as I expected it to be.
    Uncreative Name
    Chino Moreno's vocals on reprogrammed to hate are ****ing beastly. For the most part, I don't listen to much deathcore, but Chino's presence on this album made me want to hear it.
    Maleklead
    "Reprogrammed to Hate" is probably the best song on this cd, in my opinion. Good groove, beastly lyrics. Then seems to kind of blend together until "Murder Sermon". Definitely loving the better mixing and Phil's vocal work. Way better job at enunciating. Overall though, it's been a good cd to throw in and let play til the end while I'm at work so nobody bitches about Fleshgod Apocalypse. As far as "deathcore" and the genre wars go, I really couldn't care less. It's like any other genre, it's all in what you prefer.
    herzeleid1995
    Dark Tranquility opening for KSE and TDWP? SUFFOCATION OPENING FOR WHITECHAPEL!!? WHUT? Dear God is this like a Stephen King story or should I prep the .45 caliber aspirin? I mean, I liked some of the stuff I heard off of This Is Exile, but you do NOT bump Whitechapel to headline over the band that was a primary influence to starting that ****ing genre. This is backwards like Iron Maiden playing a three song set to open for Lady Gaga. It's madness. Utter insanity. But then, Vital Remains opens at like every show they play at. I just saw them at the opening slot for a show, under Carnifex, Veil Of Maya, All Shall Perish, The Red Chord, and The Faceless. So maybe that's just that then.