A New Era Of Corruption Review

8.9
 8.5
 1,004
A New Era Of Corruption Reviewed by: BwareDWare94, on june 08, 2010

Sound: Whitechapel have created two solid albums in the past and it appears that we can add a third to that list. A New Era of Corruption is an undeniable progression. Instrumentally, it's much better than The Somatic Defilement or This is Exile. What remains to be seen for this listener is if it's as compositionally accomplished. It certainly appears so, but I'm going to give the record a few more spins before I make a decision on that point. Alex Wade, Ben Savage, and Zach Householder offer much more as a trio than on previous efforts. Savage's solos are miles better than the two found on This is Exile, not to mention there are quite a few more on this record. One note I must add and celebrate is that this album relies much less on breakdowns and more on composition. Gabe Crisp is audible at times and for deathcore that's an accomplishment. Kevin Lane has gotten much better at making each and every note he hits audible, which was a pleasant surprise. His fills are better and he relies much less on blast beats this time around. It was nice to hear the members of this band venture out of their comfort zones. I'm excited for when I'll actually be able to purchase this album once the weekend arrives. // 8

Lyrics: Phil Bozeman is definitely a beast behind the mic. His vocals are not only amazing, they are impactful. Not to mention his lyrics, which are much better this time around. I think we all know that The Somatic Defilement wasn't an actual effort to pen good lyrics and that This is Exile had some terribly weak moments. If one thing is clear, he is one pissed off customer with a lot of things to say. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I'd give this record a solid 8. That 8 is based on potential because this band keeps getting better and better. For each metal album that a band releases, I look for progression in three areas: instrumental, vocal/lyrical, and compositional. Whitechapel has clearly progressed in all three areas. Look for this band to stick around for a long long time. They're head and shoulders above their peers within the genre and personally, I find it tough to even refer to this album as a deathcore album aside from a few tracks. Though it is definitely in the deathcore vein, it definitely has other influences that are quite obvious as well. // 8

A New Era Of Corruption Reviewed by: madderdaddy2, on june 21, 2010

Sound: The sound quality is far better than the previous two albums. Phil Bozeman definately is better at vocals. There is a bit more variaty than in the previous albums. Some nice accoustic passages as well as a few solos make for interesting guitar parts. Now for the biggest change. I heard bass! They definately bumped up Gabe's volume, and even gave him a few small features, which is almost unheard of in deathcore. They should have put a different song as the first one, it just didn't seem very strong. Other than that, the sound was great. // 8

Lyrics: Phil does it again. Harsh vocals and more variaty than the past albums. The lyrics in this album are definately darker, more violent, and more emotional than in previous recordings. One thing about Whitechapel is that their lyrics never seem to flow smoothly. Sometimes, it almost sounds awkward. All in all, I think the lyrics, and how Bozeman delivers them, is done well. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is far better than many other deathcore albums I have heard. Most of the songs did not dissapoint. I like the sound quality, and how balanced all of the levels of the vocals and instruments were. I think it was a well made album, and all fans of the band and genre would not be dissapointed with it's purchase. I would reccomend it to anyone. // 8

A New Era Of Corruption Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 08, 2010

Sound: It's easy to get lost amongst the masses of metal bands out there pushing a "unique" sound. Whitechapel has, untill recently remained primarily in the underground scene. It's difficult for any band to establish a true identity when competing against genre giants such as Job for a Cowboy, but A New Era of Currution establishes that this band is every bit as brutal and creative as the current masters of this genre. Technically, the band delivers a huge improvement upon their previous album, This is Exile. The song structures deliver a much more memorable album, and the attention to the grove or the feel of the music still firmly places this album within that same sound that has given Whitechapel its identity. A New Era of Curruption should impress both followers of the band and sceptics alike. // 9

Lyrics: Bozeman (vocals) has improved on his technique tenfold. Each track has a unique and important message. For example, (End of Flesh) delivers a vocal performance that melds brilliantly with the guitar work underneath. In an attempt to make his work more accesible, Bozeman has tried to clarify his words while improving on that gritty, deep scream that is reminiscent of the work of J.Davy (JFAC). In every single respect, Whitechapel delivers on these promises. Other tracks in particular, such as (Murder Sermon) strike a very personal note to the band- focusing on the death of Bozeman's mother. The willingness to express these feelings on record is something of an achievement- and it is pulled off with great finess. // 9

Overall Impression: Whereas the previous album has certain tracks that carried the rest through (point in case; Posession from the album This is Exile) A New Era of Corruption is consistently strong. It's clear that Whitechapel has understood the importance of this LP. Delivering a huge following after This is Exile- A New Era of Corruption is many respects a "Make or Break" effort. The rhythmic prowess that Whitechapel flaunted in their previous albums makes an even stronger return in this album- and so do the lyrics. Tracks like "End of Flesh", "Breeding Violence", "The Darkest Day of Man" really showcase the talent of the band. This is a hugely impressive album that I'm sure will stand the test of time. If you're a fan of Whitechapel- I would ensure that you go out and get a taste of what they've delivered as fast as you possibly can. // 9

A New Era Of Corruption Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 26, 2010

Sound: This album sounds great in terms of production and the music. The album is based around breakdowns but they do not just do triplets and such but have become more like Meshuggah in the way the breakdowns are more of a groove then a actual breakdown (Breeding Violence is a great example). They are not they best musicians but they do what they do pretty damn well, I was actually surprised by their skills at some parts but not an overwhelming amount, but music is not just about technique. To give an example of the album I will "BreakdowN" the song Breeding Violence. The beginning riff is a sick and pretty tech breakdown groove riff that builds up to the line "f--k THIS LIFE" and then the power of the music just grows with the vocals. The next part is kind slow and mediocre but only helps build up for the fast parts that come up after it. Fast part = blasts and some cool riffs before going to a breakdown and then a little solo and then its just some riffs repeated. Text can not really do the song justice but its the best song on the album. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics fit the music and are delivered great. The only reason why I did not give it a 10 is because some lines are kind of dumb I think but that is just my opinion, but the deliver is f--king great. Bad line: IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE I HAVE REALIZED MY LOCATION, THE PLACE THEY CALL THE UNDERWORLD. Alright, its not that bad and its place in end of flesh is a highlight of the album, but the word location just make me think he is looking at a map with a compass and shit. It is a strong nine. // 9

Overall Impression: In this genre I haven't heard anything come close and I want to hate this band and all the hot topic fags but there is no denying that Whitechapel OWNS every one of their peers with this album. The only thing that would make it better is if they laid down some Necrophagist like solos but that's not their style. The cover would be better if it was hand drawn but that is a rare thing these days. // 10

A New Era Of Corruption Reviewed by: mssrulez, on july 18, 2011

Sound: This album is a big change from the previous two. There are solos now, breakdowns are less present and blast beats are no longer everywhere. There is some very nice riffs and fills, such as the part after the first chorus on "Murder Sermon". The vocals are, suprisingly, much better then they already were (that's saying something). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are pretty good. Phil has so much skill and there some memorable lines, such as "Now the world can rest in peace forever" as heard in "The Darkest Day Of Man". One thing that could be improved, on the other hand, is the lyrical throw every now and again but it doesn't ruin anything. Also, Chino's guest vocals are terrible. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this album is just fantastic! It surpasses the epic "Somatic Defilement" - what an achievement - and also "This Is Exile" which was a disapointment in my eyes anyway. It's definatly worth full asking price and I'm looking forward to more in the future. // 9

A New Era Of Corruption Reviewed by: wbjackson517, on may 07, 2012

Sound: Ok. I am reviewing this album a month before their new album comes out. This is my first experience with Whitechapel and I love them. The album title comes from the song "Possessed Off" of "This Is Exile". I saw these guys live on the "Welcome To Hell" tour and I was very impressed. Now let me say this, I have been listening to metal of some form for 25 years. These guys are my favorite band. I am usually not a bandwagon guy, but Whitechapel is the real deal and this album is great. I have let so many people listen to it and now they are fans. Phil Bozeman and company are the real deal. // 10

Lyrics: The reason Whitechapel are an excellent band is their name for one. It's a town that Jack the Ripper terrorized back in the day. Secondly the lyrics. Here is a little example: "kill everything that you love...", "I am everything that you hate..." That is death metal as hell. Now I know that they are deathcore and there is mo denying it. But damn they do it well. The breakdowns are timed well and the three guitar attack just makes it heavy as hell. Phil sounds like a serial killer with his vocal delivery and the musicianship is tight. All the songs are excellent. // 10

Overall Impression: Whitechapel is by far in a league of their own. Better than Suicide Silence, Chelsea Grin and Carnifex. The best songs on the album are "Reprogrammed To Hate", "Darkest Day Of Man", and "Murder Sermon". Not a sleeper in the bunch. All well executed and delivered like a knockout punch. These guys will be on Mayhem Tour in 2012 and if you have any doubts go see them live! // 10

Comments