The Somatic Defilement review by Whitechapel

• Released: Jul 31, 2007
Whitechapel: The Somatic Defilement

This is Whitechapel's debut album, and is most definitely a masterpiece. Every single song is very well written and performed perfectly. Most deathcore sounds all the same, but they make it different and that much better than the rest of the deathcore bands. Their use of seven string drop-A guitars will get you pumped beyond belief. The breakdowns are perfect on this album and can't be listened to below full volume, and also compliment the trem picked riffs amazingly.

The lyrics on this album are based off of the Jack the Ripper murders of prostitutes in Whitechapel, London. It is just constant gore, so if you are into that stuff, it is great. The lyrics completely fit the music and make the band that much better. I would have to say that their vocalist, Phil Bozeman has some of the best vocals I have ever heard. His range goes from super low, almost grindcore vocals to high shrieks, with a few pig squeals in for good measure. He is incredibly versatile.

I absolutely love this album and I would say it is much better than any other deathcore band out there. It is tough to say which is better: The Somatic Defilement or This is Exile, so I think they are equal in amazingness. A couple of the most impressive songs on the album are "The Somatic Defilement," "Ear to Ear," "Vicer Exciser," and "Devirgination Studies." I absolutely love everything about this album and the band, which means I hate nothing. If it were stolen, I would track the thief down and go Cannibal Corpse on his ass, just to get this album back. I recommend it to anyone even slightly into death metal, deathcore, grindcore, hardcore, pretty much all the cores...

silentshane420
    Half of the songs on the album Phill wrote about what he wanted to do to his ex fiance who cheated on him with 3 other guys after he proposed to her. What a bitch! This album is essential if you like brutal music.