This Is Exile review by Whitechapel

• Released: Jul 8, 2008
Whitechapel: This Is Exile

Whitechapel is another deathcore band, but they're one of the most impressive bands in their genre to appear. Their usage of three guitars add to the unique sound that they create for their style of music. The guitarists tend to show more skill than most deathcore bands I've heard, which is very nice to hear. They also do numerous breakdown sections in the course of this album, and they're more dissident than any other breakdowns I've heard. The guitarists for this band have some very impressive skills for the style they play. Most deathcore bands tend to get boring and repetitive after the first few songs, but Whitechapel never really repeat themselves. They even throw in 2 instrumental songs on this album that are very well laid out and they do offer a break from the nearly constant ferociousness of the album. The first single from this album, 'This Is Exile', is one of the hardest hitting songs on the album. It offers two breakdown sections and some of the best vocal work done on the album.

Like every other deathcore band, vocalist Phil Bozeman contributes his 'cookie monster vocals' to this album. However, he does throw some high pitched screams into the mix and he's definitely one of the best at what he does. The blood-curdling guttural Bozeman does before the massive breakdown section at the end of 'This Is Exile' is some of the darkest vocal work I've heard. He can actual strike fear into you at some points on this album. As for the lyrics, he seems to paint a very violent picture. Death is a very common subject that he sings about throughout this album, but just as everything else that they do on this album, he switches it up one or two times. Overall, these lyrics and vocal styles are stereotypical for the genre, but that's because they fit the music style so well.

Like I've said before, Whitechapel are a nice change from the rest of the deathcore genre. They execute this album very well and it keeps you interested from beginning to end. 'Messiahbolical' is what might be the most powerful ending to an album I've ever heard. As the last track, it had a lot to live up to, and this song is one of the best on the CD. This track has the best guitar work on the album in my opinion, and Phil delivers with some hard hitting vocals. In one part, he sings, 'Every first born child I have slaughtered and every virgin I have defiled, Even the blind have seen my blasphemies, The deaf hear my sacrilege'. I love the near perfect execution of this album. Whitechapel do what they do extremely well. I can't really say that there's anything on this album that I hate. This is definitely one of the best, if not the best, deathcore effort I've heard this year.

Shredder Guitar
    freagin' BADASS CD. i love this band... i dont know what they do that makes them sound so much better than other bands... but just the thrashiness of the Drop A tuned guitars sounds so IMMENSE. thumbs up for sure!
    chasious d
    this review is extremely accurate. the album is just incredible from 'Father of Lies' to 'Messiahbolical', but my favorite song was definitely Possession. I started playing in Drop A tuning after i heard this album for the first time
    Shredder Guitar
    lol same here man... it just nuts how well they can play the riffs they do. They aren't like other bands that tune that low just to think they sound badass... the guitars are probably my favorite part of this band
    think11270
    This is one of my favorite albums, I can't believe they produced something so badass on a short time after "The Somatic Defilement" which basically gave them their metal blade spot. I will have to do a review on the Somatic Defilement, it is a little bit better than this album - and the lyrics are just phenomental. This is definitely one of my favorite bands from the Deathcore scene, they really have a heavy feeling and the vocals are just what I've always wanted to hear. Whitechapel is one of those bands that you can listen to a whole cd without getting bored, it's a hard thing to find in a band (especially metal) these days. I also tuned to A after hearing these guys. ha ha
    63Dylan63
    think11270, I couldn't agree with you more, Whitechapel are ****ing amazing. I just recently went to see them and they were forced to cancel their show because people were freaking out over their lyrics. It really sucked, but I got most of them to sign my poster... Anyway, this album is ****ing epic.
    Black-Goat
    this is my favorite band! and i have to say that the somatic defilement and this is exile albums are just a f*cking masterpiece! no one like whitechapel!!
    xXDyingSkiesXx
    By far the most brootal, awe-inspiring album on my iPod. These guys are the reason I bought by C7 Hellraiser....needless to say..its always A.... haha that rhymed but yeah im proud to have This Is Exile. And ill agree with Black-Goat. This has to be my FAVORITE band of all time....absoulutely ****ing epic and a crown amongst the thorns of the bland deathcore genre