This Is Exile review by Whitechapel

• Released: Jul 8, 2008
Whitechapel: This Is Exile

With the brutal guys of Knoxville, Tennessee, they have brought the deathcore scene to what it really should up raised up towards. With their double bass machine beats, blastbeats out of nowhere, other deathcore bands don't stand a chance against the drumming in this band. Having two guitars for a death metal/hardcore band can be pretty brutal, but when you put three together, it's like a earthquake nonstop! They've made it clear that their hear to show us what deathcore is all about. One thing that really does stand out, alot, in this album is the mind blowing vocals. For someone growl so long and scream the way Phil does, has some great skills. He is by far the best growler in deathcore history.

The lyrics have the most great story in each song. If you want something in your face and ready to fight, you got it! With the anti-messiah feel to these and the evil stories they put out to us, it's quite obvious that they stick to what they believe in. For example, the line from Father Of Lies: "My procreator, stand your ****ing ground" really shows about them being against god and telling all of us, that he isnt as strong or no where near what these christian say. When you listen to Daemon, you get the sensation of knowing that something evil will soon come to earth and rise as god itself.

Okay, my last thoughts about the brutal hit, This Is Exile. To me, other deathcore releases doesnt't stand a chance so far with the godly album. If you want something that will get you pumped and ready for a fight, or something aggressive, you got it with Father Of Lies all the way to Messiahbolical. Some say they use too much breakdowns, some don't, but my opinion is that these guys deserve to do what they love best and they have done a dang good job of it!

Josh Laiho
    See_Jay wrote: Those who say the guitars aren't impressive need to look up some of their tabs or just clean the wax out of their ears."Impressive" is an under-statement. Not many of their songs have been tabbed out because they are just too BRUTAL. And to Josh Laiho...you are retarded. WhiteChapel has the most rawest sound. WC and Suicide Silence are the most heaviest bands on the scene now-a-days. Not many death-core bands solo or sweep; not to mention as good as WC and SS.
    Are all Whitechapels fans stupid and close-minded? Why can you not accept somebody else's opinion? I think deathcore sucks anyway. I have tried many times to get into this band and it has failed everytime. I just can not get into them. This band has not made a mark on heavy metal at all, therefor they won't be remembered and nobody will be listening to them in 5-10 years from now. They just don't have a unique sound. Whitechapel is really not that brutal. I've heard a lot of metal that is a whole lot more brutal. But as far as you saying I'm retarded because I don't like this shit and I don't like Suicide Silence either, you are the one that is retarded for not accepting and respecting another person's opinion. So what if I don't like this trendy metal shit, I like true metal.
    mtllica
    I absolutely LOVE both Whitechapel and Suicide Silence, and don't get me wrong, but I hardly find SS's guitars impressive. But that's just my opinion.
    See_Jay
    Josh Laiho
    RLPatriots0499 wrote: this is far from my favorite band. but they are damn good. Your opinion is that you dont like them which is whatever, but you just don't know what your talking about. Everything you said was wrong. End of story.
    Whatever. You are obviously a close-minded person so you need to stfu.
    Josh Laiho
    RLPatriots0499 wrote: yeah no shit. i'm just saying that when you said it sounds like death metal without balls i wanted to rip off your face. If thats your honest opinion on their music than you have no music knowledge whatsoever and should never post on here again until you know what your talking about.
    You're acting really immature. I know what I'm talking about. Wow you wanna rip my face off for not liking a band that you obviously worship, how stupid is that. You need to grow up. So what if I don't like the same shit as you, so ****ing what, does it really make a difference?
    Josh Laiho
    RLPatriots0499 wrote: I listened to Whitechapel after a friend told me about them and I must say that they sound like Death Metal without balls. I just didn't like it. I found them to be very annoying. You obviously don't have a good taste for good music at all whatsoever than. Death metal without balls? are you ****ing kidding me? You just keep listening to your all that remains and devil wears prada pussy shit. I hate you.
    btw the devil wears prada is not even close to being death metal. I just gave my opinion on this album there is no need for you to act like an idiot about it and actually respect other peoples opinions.
    Metallic_Blood
    Whitechapel are the only death core band I like, and "This is Exile" is nowhere near as good as their last album "The Somatic Defilement" That album was raw and powerful, this album sounds to produced for the style of metal they play. All in my opinion of course.
    Josh Laiho
    . Uhh...I hate the devil wears prada, just look up the plagues review by them, I talked shit about them on there. I also hate all that remains, they aren't even death metal. When I refer to death metal I mean bands like Morbid Angel, Nile, Possessed, and Death. Thats real death metal and they actually have balls.
    afortuneinlies
    Phe4rTheGod wrote: This band gets too much hype...nothing great with them, I've listened and tried and tried to appreciate them, but I just can't...chugachug rhythms get very tiresome and repetitive... Great timing for having three guitarists though, I give them that...one mistake live and the song would be shot...
    you're pretty right. they're a good band, not spectacular, but definitely A-list deathcore. they don't get tedious, which is the most important thing. The guitars aren't impressive, fitting though. I'd say they're good song writers. However, Kevin Lane is a monster on drums. also... Myspace.com/adelaidetn up and coming deathcore band...really good stuff, kinda like whitechapel.
    Phe4rTheGod
    Metallic_Blood
    Whitechapel are the only death core band I like, and while this album is ok, "The Somatic Defilement" was sooooo much better. It was heavier, the lyrics were better, and it sounded much rawer than "This is Exile" TIE was overproduced for the type of metal this is, it should be edgier. Just my opinion.
    kellen.dobmeier
    See_Jay : Those who say the guitars aren't impressive need to look up some of their tabs or just clean the wax out of their ears."Impressive" is an under-statement. Not many of their songs have been tabbed out because they are just too BRUTAL. And to Josh Laiho...you are retarded. WhiteChapel has the most rawest sound. WC and Suicide Silence are the most heaviest bands on the scene now-a-days. Not many death-core bands solo or sweep; not to mention as good as WC and SS.
    -The main difference between WC and SS is that WC is very good and SS sucks major balls. Where are you getting this SS is good at soloing and sweep picking when the only solo on "The Cleansing" was some VERY SLOW sweep picking at the end of No Pity For a Coward. Do not defend SS. Their guitarists suck, their drummer sucks when it comes to deathcore, and their vocals are very obviously fake. Figure it out.