This Is Exile review by Whitechapel

• Released: Jul 8, 2008
Whitechapel: This Is Exile

Whitechapel's "This is Exile" is a blistering Deathcore assault. Most impressive is the production, which is necessary when you play with the speed and precision that these dudes do. They get a little breakdown happy at times which really slows the songs down. Fear not, however, because they don't completely suck like Suicide Silence. First and foremost, their guitarists (Ben Savage, Alex Wade, and Zach Householder)can actually play their guitars. They may not play like the guitarists from All Shall Perish or Beneath the Massacre, but they keep the complexity up enough to make the music interesting. Kevin Lane is also an exceptional drummer. The bass is pretty much non-existent, but most deathcore bassists don't really play much anyway. Standout tracks: Messiahbolical, Possession, To All That are Dead, and Eternal Refuge.

Phil Bozeman's lyrics can be rather disgusting and Satanic (but not to quite the extent of Death Metal gods like Deicide). He does, however, create memorable lines that fit to the music such as "I assure everything isn't what it seems to be" from the song 'Eternal Refuge." His vocals are outstanding to be honest. He is precise, he is clear, and he dominates the speakers with ease which is also evident in their live show.

The Somatic Defilement was also well produced, but not quite as well as this album. That's what sets the two apart in my eyes. While long-time fans swear by Somatic, I prefer This is Exile. This band has unlimited potential and I hope to see Ben Savage rip out more solos than on this effort. The best song on the record, To All That Are Dead, contains a fairly impressive solo (more impressive than the Father of Lies solo at least) and outstanding lyrics and performances from each member of the band. I enjoy Whitechapel right now, but I sure hope they continue to fulfill their potential and grow as a band with albums to come.

dementiacaptain
    hey i agree with u 100%, and yeah really any deathcore act is the wrong place to be if u are of strong faith. i, however didnt know there were any satanic messages. i havnt read the lyrics and i dont normally pay attention, what was satanic out of curiosity?
    kellen.dobmeier
    hxckid666
    when i first heard the album i didnt think it was as good as tsd, but i quickly changed my mind everything about it is just phenomenal, I Love both albums but i think have really took it tot he next level for this one
    hxckid666
    kellen.dobmeier wrote: Suicide Silence sounds nothing like Whitechapel. Suicide Silence sounds like trudgy, shit-toned guitars and drums with over produced vocals. They only wish they were as good as Whitechapel. I have no idea why Dave Mustaine is letting Suicide Silence open for Megadeth. I mean, come on, it's Megadeth, Warbringer, and Suicide Silence. Suicide Silence is just embarrassing themselves.
    i agree 100000%
    puremetal11
    im getting pretty ****ing tired of all these arguements over metal genres, i like deathcore and death metal and thrash and metalcore and most other kinds of music we should all just stick to what we like and stop insulting other people
    Fender700
    kellen.dobmeier : Suicide Silence doesn't sound like Whitechapel. They sound like trudgy, shit-toned guitars and drums with over-produced vocals. They suck shit. I don't know how the hell Dave Mustaine is letting them open up for Megadeth. I mean, come on, it's Megadeth, Warbringer and Suicide Silence. Suicide Silence are just embarrassing themselves.
    last time i checked, we were talking about whitechapel here bucko. go say that shit on a SS review and see how much you stir it up...idiot.
    Motorbreath628 : wow. you guys are acting like a bunch of pubescent 12 year o;ds, but considering you're on a whitechapel page, you probably are. but i dont want to stereotype, even though its probably true, considering you can't this gay trendy mainstream poseur bands 3 inch dick any harder. kill yourselves, its people like you that have corrupted metal and the music industry in general
    ^ Wow, did somebody's Daddy f*$k them in the ass too hard today before he went to work? People like you disgust me cause YOU are in fact the filth who give music a bad name. there is NO good reason to flame a band like WC because they're a new band and a product of a new era, nore is there anything TRENDY about whitechapel. The fact is you piece of trash, is that there are people on this site and around the world who love this new music, who love whitechapel. how about you never post on this site again. shut off your computer. burn your albums. never listen to music again. closeminded F%@#
    Nor'Easterbass
    if you listen to all three bands early early stuff, yes they do sound quite the same. it's when they each did their own thing (and SS just stayed the same) that the bands all set themselves apart.
    kellen.dobmeier
    Nor'Easterbass
    i love how carnifex NEVER shows up in discussions about whitechapel and suicide silence. all three of them sounded the SAME on their first albums but now that they have become more individual and creative with their own sounds, i can appreciate them alot more. for those of you who are so close-minded that you think anything with a breakdown isnt death metal...you're F*CKING...RETARDED! I'd love to see you in the pit at a 'chapel show.
    xImAGangsterx
    Whats all this talk about TDWP and All That Remains being death metal? hahahah but besides that, this CD's straight up good as ****, not as good as The Somatic Defilement but almost there. Way better quality
    iH8CarAccidents
    opiatexforxthe wrote: first off we all need to take a chill pill its not that important to fight over a band being good or bad is stupid and makes both parties look foolish. yes deathcore as a whole has seemingly spun itself into obliblivion but that does not mean the bands that are good do not deserve any respect and no you dont have to like someone to respect what they do or bring to the world. whitechapel is a good band no not the best no not the hardest band alive but that is because no matter how hard a band goes or how good they are there will always be a better more badass band thats the way its been and will always be. yes deathcore has lost its momentum now but it was nice while it lasted it was a change from the cannible corpse/slayer formula metal has used for decades it provided hope for something new and different. no it did not ruin metal i think metal has been through way worse periods and this is one that was not that bad but it is time to move forward this has gained to much commercial success and that ruins even the purest of ideas so i look forward to the next wave.
    Sir... Thank you... Thank you. It's refreshing to hear a voice of reason among all the "This band sucks balls!" "No, THAT band sucks balls!"
    opiatexforxthe
    Motorbreath628
    wow. you guys are acting like a bunch of pubescent 12 year olds, but considering you're on a whitechapel page, you probably are. but i dont want to stereotype, even though its probably true, considering you can't ride this gay trendy mainstream poseur bands 3 inch dick any harder. kill yourselves, its people like you that have corrupted metal and the music industry in general.
    Motorbreath628
    wow. you guys are acting like a bunch of pubescent 12 year o;ds, but considering you're on a whitechapel page, you probably are. but i dont want to stereotype, even though its probably true, considering you can't this gay trendy mainstream poseur bands 3 inch dick any harder. kill yourselves, its people like you that have corrupted metal and the music industry in general.
    hxckid666
    im kinda scared for their new album..=[ please don't let me down whitechapel everything you have done so far has been amazing im not too impressed with the darkest day of man espaically with the lyrics...and song titles of the album..the lyrics for the darkest day of man are sorta dumb they have no underlying meaning, the lyrics are not any where near as ambiguous, abstruse, or as mysertious as there last albums's lyrics. the new song is just liek blah blah blah religious people are stupid...guhhhh heard it before so many times ugh...this is exile wow it had some amazing lyrics so deep so insightful and mysterious ! like wow you could tell they took a vast amount of thought....."How the **** could anyone believe the truth When the religious fools have endless prophecies
    Perge
    i gotta give it to Winds of plague though man. Playing standard and still being as heavy as some of the bands in "deathcore". i like it. plus the thrash solos always grab me. This is exile was pretty amazing. Cant stand the scene these guys have made, or most of their fans, but goddamn they can put on a good show. third best live show ive seen.
    heartagram256
    This is my second favorite metal album of all time, only beaten by Lamb Of God's "Sacrament." (Yes, I said metal and not "deathcore", "hardcore", or any of that bullshit. IT'S ALL METAL. I hate how these days what sub-genre of metal bands fall into is more important than the music itself. And yes, I like Lamb Of God. I don't care how popular they are or how many of you think they suck.) I really liked The Somatic Defilement when I first heard it and still do, but for me, This Is Exile completely obliterates any of their other stuff. Whitechappel are one of my favorite bands and that's saying alot considering I like everything from Slayer to Cannibal Corpse to Lamb Of God to Behemoth and Dimmu Borgir, and so on. There's very few kinds of metal I dislike but Whitechapel just stand out to me over other modern metal like Winds Of Plague, The Faceless, and The Acacia Strain. I love every element of Whitechapel's music. Especially the guitar work and vocals. As far as this album goes, Eternal Refuge, Possesion, and To All That Are Dead are the best in my opinion. And for the love of god, just respect other people's musical opinions. They don't like a band you do, so what? That doesn't mean they're ignorant or close-minded. It just means they don't like all the same shit as you do.
    shredheadted
    Utimate Guitar needs to clean out all this crap. Theres a reason that comments are able to be posted,and it isnt so people can read immature stereotypical jerks cry about other immature stereotypical jerks attempts to... whatever. As for the album, love the guitar tone, though, I think the solos could be amazing with a little bit of thrash elements thrown in. The drums are insane, the vocals are amazing. Where it loses me...the lyrics. Im a christian and deffinetly have a problem with the messages on the album. If they didnt have all the secular/satanic stuff on there, no doubt this would be one of my favorite bands.