This Is Exile Review

Whitechapel: This Is Exile
Release Date: Jul 8, 2008
Label: Metal Blade
Genres: Deathcore, Death metal
Knoxville, Tennessee's Whitechapel seamlessly meld death metal, grind, and hardcore to create a blistering brand of modern death metal that leaves fans no other choice but to throw themselves into an uncontrollable frenzy in the pit.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 8.9
 9.3
 8.4
 1,386
This Is Exile Reviewed by: TheEndOfDaze, on august 25, 2008

Sound: Whitechapel is another deathcore band, but they're one of the most impressive bands in their genre to appear. Their usage of three guitars add to the unique sound that they create for their style of music. The guitarists tend to show more skill than most deathcore bands I've heard, which is very nice to hear. They also do numerous breakdown sections in the course of this album, and they're more dissident than any other breakdowns I've heard. The guitarists for this band have some very impressive skills for the style they play. Most deathcore bands tend to get boring and repetitive after the first few songs, but Whitechapel never really repeat themselves. They even throw in 2 instrumental songs on this album that are very well laid out and they do offer a break from the nearly constant ferociousness of the album. The first single from this album, 'This Is Exile', is one of the hardest hitting songs on the album. It offers two breakdown sections and some of the best vocal work done on the album. // 9

Lyrics: Like every other deathcore band, vocalist Phil Bozeman contributes his 'cookie monster vocals' to this album. However, he does throw some high pitched screams into the mix and he's definitely one of the best at what he does. The blood-curdling guttural Bozeman does before the massive breakdown section at the end of 'This Is Exile' is some of the darkest vocal work I've heard. He can actual strike fear into you at some points on this album. As for the lyrics, he seems to paint a very violent picture. Death is a very common subject that he sings about throughout this album, but just as everything else that they do on this album, he switches it up one or two times. Overall, these lyrics and vocal styles are stereotypical for the genre, but that's because they fit the music style so well. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I've said before, Whitechapel are a nice change from the rest of the deathcore genre. They execute this album very well and it keeps you interested from beginning to end. 'Messiahbolical' is what might be the most powerful ending to an album I've ever heard. As the last track, it had a lot to live up to, and this song is one of the best on the CD. This track has the best guitar work on the album in my opinion, and Phil delivers with some hard hitting vocals. In one part, he sings, 'Every first born child I have slaughtered and every virgin I have defiled, Even the blind have seen my blasphemies, The deaf hear my sacrilege'. I love the near perfect execution of this album. Whitechapel do what they do extremely well. I can't really say that there's anything on this album that I hate. This is definitely one of the best, if not the best, deathcore effort I've heard this year. // 9

This Is Exile Reviewed by: masterofmetal00, on january 14, 2009

Sound: With the brutal guys of Knoxville, Tennessee, they have brought the deathcore scene to what it really should up raised up towards. With their double bass machine beats, blastbeats out of nowhere, other deathcore bands don't stand a chance against the drumming in this band. Having two guitars for a death metal/hardcore band can be pretty brutal, but when you put three together, it's like a earthquake nonstop! They've made it clear that their hear to show us what deathcore is all about. One thing that really does stand out, alot, in this album is the mind blowing vocals. For someone growl so long and scream the way Phil does, has some great skills. He is by far the best growler in deathcore history. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have the most great story in each song. If you want something in your face and ready to fight, you got it! With the anti-messiah feel to these and the evil stories they put out to us, it's quite obvious that they stick to what they believe in. For example, the line from Father Of Lies: "My procreator, stand your ****ing ground" really shows about them being against god and telling all of us, that he isnt as strong or no where near what these christian say. When you listen to Daemon, you get the sensation of knowing that something evil will soon come to earth and rise as god itself. // 10

Overall Impression: Okay, my last thoughts about the brutal hit, This Is Exile. To me, other deathcore releases doesnt't stand a chance so far with the godly album. If you want something that will get you pumped and ready for a fight, or something aggressive, you got it with Father Of Lies all the way to Messiahbolical. Some say they use too much breakdowns, some don't, but my opinion is that these guys deserve to do what they love best and they have done a dang good job of it! // 10

This Is Exile Reviewed by: kellen.dobmeier, on july 09, 2009

Sound: Whitechapel's "This is Exile" is a blistering Deathcore assault. Most impressive is the production, which is necessary when you play with the speed and precision that these dudes do. They get a little breakdown happy at times which really slows the songs down. Fear not, however, because they don't completely suck like Suicide Silence. First and foremost, their guitarists (Ben Savage, Alex Wade, and Zach Householder)can actually play their guitars. They may not play like the guitarists from All Shall Perish or Beneath the Massacre, but they keep the complexity up enough to make the music interesting. Kevin Lane is also an exceptional drummer. The bass is pretty much non-existent, but most deathcore bassists don't really play much anyway. Standout tracks: Messiahbolical, Possession, To All That are Dead, and Eternal Refuge. // 7

Lyrics: Phil Bozeman's lyrics can be rather disgusting and Satanic (but not to quite the extent of Death Metal gods like Deicide). He does, however, create memorable lines that fit to the music such as "I assure everything isn't what it seems to be" from the song 'Eternal Refuge." His vocals are outstanding to be honest. He is precise, he is clear, and he dominates the speakers with ease which is also evident in their live show. // 9

Overall Impression: The Somatic Defilement was also well produced, but not quite as well as this album. That's what sets the two apart in my eyes. While long-time fans swear by Somatic, I prefer This is Exile. This band has unlimited potential and I hope to see Ben Savage rip out more solos than on this effort. The best song on the record, To All That Are Dead, contains a fairly impressive solo (more impressive than the Father of Lies solo at least) and outstanding lyrics and performances from each member of the band. I enjoy Whitechapel right now, but I sure hope they continue to fulfill their potential and grow as a band with albums to come. // 8

This Is Exile Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 30, 2010

Sound: I wasn't a large fan of deathcore until early this year, thinking that early bring me the horizon was what it was to deliver, and feeling quite annoyed at this genre (although I do like BMTH they do tend to become grating after a while) this was soon changed when one of my close friends penned me onto Whitechapel. As soon as I heard possession, I knew I had stumbled onto a veritable gold mine of genius. With the use of 3 drop A tuned guitars (Ben Savage, Alex Wade and Zach Householder) and with the 5 string bass of Gabe Crisp, Whitechapel have created an album built on playing fast, playing well, and playing evil, whereupon Wade, Householder, and lead guitarist savage not only strengthen each others sound through their use of breakdowns, odd time signatures and tremelo picking, the band also creates a buzsaw type sound which burns the songs into your mind, making them become strongly addictive, stongly used within the songs "To all that are dead", "This is exile" and "Messiahbolical". The drums of Kevin Lane also add to Whitechapels madness as the fast blastbeats and strong symbol work (rather than hi hats and ocassional bashing of other symbols) create an aura of something almost apocalyptic in feel, which give a change to blastbeats being used just to make a song sound fast. Lanes drum work creates an insane cacophany that induces pleasure as well as passion for madness. But (as I myself am a singer and death growler) Phil Bosemans Growls immediatley created my (almost obsessive) love for Whitechapel. With a wide range of vocal capability being shown, Boseman immediatley puts himself onto a pillar as an example to other deathcore or death metal vocalists, as his use of high pitched roars and extremely low (often matching Gabe's level on his bass) growls, form a beautifully sickening picture of a man with a mind of twisted genius and artistic desires as his growls help lend to the malevolent sound and overall dripping evil of the album. // 10

Lyrics: Whitechapel are a band hell bent on making a point and shoving it down your throat, but although Boseman's Raucious vocals are threatening, the band perform sublty such as in "Father of lies" the band make a direct challenge to their creater, which could be seen as either god, or their family or society, but as with the rest of the album, the best bet is god "my procreater, stand your f--king ground", with their anti-religous themes only being in your face with the title of the last track on the album "Messiahbolical", the band growl with true artistic form as they often cite about mankinds failings such as in "Possession" with the line "we are in a new era of corruption" they immediatley show their anger at the worlds failings. But as all bands should, Whitechapel show that they have a sense of humour... Albeit sick and twisted, such as Boseman screaming at the top of his lungs at the end of the title track "THIS WORLD IS OURS, AND YOUR TOTALLY f--kING DEAD!" // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I found that Whitechapel have almost effortlessly delivered an album of true beauty. Strongly surpasing bands such as Despised Icon, Winds Of Plauge and suicide silence (I'm not condoning these bands as they are all good) Whitechapel have truly found a niche of which their particular brand of brutality fills with ease. On the album it is insanely hard to pick favourites as each blistering peice of music has greatness in buckets. If stolen or lost, I wouldn't just buy another album, I'd probably mourn for the old one. // 10

Comments