Whitechapel review by Whitechapel

• Released: Jun 19, 2012
Whitechapel: Whitechapel

Evolve - a word that can be used correctly or incorrectly in reference to music. Metallica tried to evolve, but just moved on to a different sound. John Mayer evolved for one album, but has otherwise remained in blues-tinged pop rock neutral. As I Lay Dying evolves by the album. Here we have Whitechapel's self-titled fourth album, and the evolution shown with "A New Era Of Corruption" comes full circle to bring us what is easily Whitechapel's best album. It contains an onslaught of heavy moments intertwined with startling melody and even an anthemic chorus ("Faces"). The speed of "Father Of Lies" is a consistent presence in songs like "Hate Creation" and "(Cult)uralist". In the three guitar assault, I hear wonderful similarities to the epic title track from "The Somatic Defilement". Melodic leads akin to "Reprogrammed To Hate" and "A Future Corrupt" are all over this album. Gone are the incessantly boring and slow riffs of "The Darkest Day Of Man" and "Murder Sermon". Truth be told, this album doesn't even resemble the deathcore that so many love to hate. Simply put, Whitechapel get better by the album, and this new release leaves the rest of their discography in the dust. Last but not least, if none of this has surprised you, the album begins and ends with a wonderful piano line. Even if you don't like standard deathcore, you need to give this album a try. Just don't expect the Whitechapel of past albums.

The lyrics are straightforward but thought provoking at the same time. They range from topics of rebellion to distaste with society's current state. Phil Bozeman continues to alter his style, leaving his high pitched shrieks in the past in favor of the growl we've all come to love. Spoken word is even used on "Hate Creation" to great affect. Lyrically, Phil has almost always been hit or miss, but the miss moments on this album are few and far between. Vocally, he's been the standard by which deathcore vocalists must be measured, and that surely won't change after this record. Did anybody really expect anything different from deathcore's best front man?

Overall, this album has set an entirely new standard for Whitechapel's career, and considering just how boring their first three albums were at times, the lack of snooze moments on this record is refreshing. This is the first Whitechapel album that I can listen to from front to back with no issue and no lulls. New drummer Ben Harclerode has brought extreme technicality to the band, and that's obvious in the drum arrangements on every song. Ben Savage's leads and solos, and even the few guest solos are exceptional and finally add credence to their three guitar lineup. Overall, the exceptional nature of the arrangements on this album have given it the extra boost that Whitechapel has always needed. Quite frankly, I'm more than happy with the purchase of this album and feel as though this band is finally meeting the potential I've always seen in them.

scarter1192
    EpiExplorer wrote: Yet more bro-core..
    vppark2
    rapprocka1017 wrote: I enjoyed it, some pretty sweet riffs and solos. It's also more death than core, and very thrashy as well. Solid release, 7.5/10
    it appeals to others who arnt into deathcore. ppl like me.
    rapprocka1017
    Kazooiej
    I really was surprised by how heavy this album sounded. They definitely took a step in the right direction in my oppinion.
    metalforlife18
    Mmmmnope. These guys still 'bounce' around on stage showing off their shaved heads and gang signs. Pretty much bro-core.[/quote] Oh ok. Didn't know "bouncing" to the beat of your own songs was considered bro-core or whatever the **** you call it. I'll remember to just stand still on stage next time I play a gig. And this album... My god, just brilliant. I honestly didn't know what to expect from this album. They've outgrown that "deathcore" tag. Simply the best thing they've ever done.
    MattAnderson111
    vppark2
    Not surprised that thats coming from EpiExplorer.
    DangerKitty001
    I am not a fan of Whitechapel or deathcore, but the new album is pretty ****in good. There's definitely more death than crapcore in it, which is a nice change. I hope they continue with this style.
    Creep_C-1
    EpiExplorer wrote: scarter1192 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Yet more bro-core.. This is not bro-core at all.. It's got plenty of good riffing, soloing, and drumwork and isn't just chugs and breakdowns. I think you're mistaking them for Emmure.. Mmmmnope. These guys still 'bounce' around on stage showing off their shaved heads and gang signs. Pretty much bro-core.
    seen them 5 times, don't remember any gang signs bud.
    SkepsisMetal
    Bro core? Really? Kids these days and their words. Makes me chuckle, tbh. Solid album though, wouldn't necessarily lump it under deathcore. They've been moving further and further away from that sound as time goes on, and this album seals that deal in the past.
    APerfectCircle9
    I just bought it. Normally, i'm not into this sort of stuff but wow. This is a pretty good CD so far. I cant wait to see these guys at Mayhem fest.
    Megalomaniac46
    The problem here is as soon a people see "Genre: Deathcore" they rate the album with a 1. Solid release from a band that I had been losing interest in over the years.
    Creep_C-1
    definitely my favorite whitechapel album and i think they've clearly separated themselves from the pack. I, Dementia is my fav track off this album.
    Gibson_SG_uzr55
    Just listened to Hate Creation on youtube and really liked it. Definitely an Iowa-era Slipknot influence on the vocals.
    6StringBlazer
    After I heard Section 8 I knew I was gonna dig this album. I like the nod to the other albums in Make It Bleed, couldn't help but smile. Whitechapel is definitely one of the mainstay bands in my iPod, for sure!
    Abacus11
    I'm not into most deathcore bands but these guys are much better than most (and they can actually play!) I'll check this album out.
    fraberjam
    Well as a long time death metal and grindcore fan this is just another chug a lug slam fest. All that's missing is videos of kids doing windmill arms and roundhouse kicks. I gave the album a listen and it is just another band with a chicken scratch logo trying to sound heavy. 2/10 at best.
    EpiExplorer
    Let people speak for themselves.
    xxmvpmanxx
    Whitechapel's self-titled might be my favorite. That or A New Era Of Corruption. I love the riffs they're coming up with and the drums are just sick!
    vppark2
    EpiExplorer wrote: vppark2 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: BwareDWare94 wrote: So many people are voting on this record and ragging on it in the comments without even listening to it... Let people speak for themselves. Not surprised that thats coming from EpiExplorer. If theres one thing I'm ever remembered for on this site, then it's not futting the shuck up.
    LOL.
    Abomination94
    Well, I hate -core music. But because of what everyone was saying here I decided to listen to a song or two. This is still clearly deathcore, anyone saying this is more Death Metal or they've "outgrown deathcore" is an idiot, still the same old crap with slightly better playing. Rubbish imo.
    InfernalFender
    It's been too long since I've enjoyed a newly released metal album from front to back. Outstanding record; would recommend this to any music fan looking for something bone-crunching heavy that still holds great melody.
    kow God
    I thought it wasn't bad, its not my favorite album from them, but not bad at all.
    Metallichemical
    BwareDWare94 wrote: Metallichemical wrote: I've been a Whitechapel fan for a couple years (not really "hardcore" though). In all honesty, I'm not sure I can agree that this is their best album. I picked it up on the day of release and I've listened to it four times. This is Exile is amazing and A New era of Corruption I thought was a great step. This album is not bad by any means, but I think it is slightly on the boring side. I like that they are trying new things, though, no doubt about that. the new drummer is great though. He proves himself great on this album! All in all, I guess I can say I think Whitechapel took a SMALL step back. Maybe I'm asking for too much, but I believe Whitechapel can do better. And just to add, Whitechapel is one of the few very exceptional "deathcore" bands in my opinion. \m/ How in the world is this boring compared to their prior albums? Their prior albums have too damn many slow, boring breakdowns.
    Vektor
    UG's filled with edgy 14-year-old kids who listen to mallcore, what a surprise
    KBI2113
    I'm sorry, but it's always going to be "The Somatic Defilement" for me. This is Exile was pretty good too, but after that, they lost me with political talk. Bring back the Jack the Ripper lyrics.
    Metallichemical
    BwareDWare94 wrote: Metallichemical wrote: Metallichemical wrote: I don't know honestly, just my opinion. As I stated, I don't think it's a bad album at all, it just doesn't hold my attention for very long. In all honesty, This is Exile is their only album that I can really easily listen to from start to finish. And in case you were gonna dis me for being a "deathcore fanboy" or the like, I rarely listen to deathcore bands and I listen to pretty much all types of metal, along with other styles. I guess I will say this. This album has quite a bit of the palm mute low-end riffs and breakdown stuff going on. It just bores me. I like to listen to albums that have more interesting things going on. I just think they pulled the sound off very well on This is Exile, and ANEOC is a great album in it's own way. Understandable. This is Exile had some great moments, especially in songs like Possession, To All That Are Dead, Eternal Refuge, and Messiahbolical. I just can't handle the constant trudge in certain songs of their past couple of albums. Personally, everybody loves Murder Sermon, but I just love the chorus. Everything else in that song can be metaphorically referred to as the snooze button. I also don't find myself digging much of Somatic, outside of the ending to the epic title track.
    Yeah, I completely agree with you about Murder Sermon. I think Eternal Refuge, Father of Lies, and Messiahbolical (EPIC!) are likely my favorite moments from Exile. I do understand what you're saying about the trudge at the same time as well. Either way, Whitechapel is great, so whatever \m/
    Metallichemical
    I can't really fairly judge The Somatic Defilement since I still haven't listened to it from start to finish.
    RC52190
    How is it "speaking for yourself" if you don't know what the **** it is you're talking about?
    Metallidethium
    MattAnderson111 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Mmmmnope. These guys still 'bounce' around on stage showing off their shaved heads and gang signs. Pretty much bro-core. Man dis dude b rite, whitechapel iz reppin da streets, wit dem flat brim and snapback hats, throwin around dat "knoxville hate rep style".
    I can't tell if trying to troll... I actually liked this wayyyy more than the rest of their discography. Then again I love death metal wayyyy more than deathcore so makes sense.