Whitechapel review by Whitechapel

• Released: Jun 19, 2012
Whitechapel: Whitechapel

Let's get right down to business. The first song, "Make It Bleed", has a very unsettling and depressing piano intro. After about 30 seconds of that, a sharp guitar riff enters, initiating a very brutal album. The riffs are great, especially on the intro track and the track that comes after, "Hate Creation". However, the production on this album lets me down. The guitars, in my opinion (and I know this is DeathCore but whatever) have too much gain, and sound a bit muddy. When there is no vocals (no offense to the vocalist, it's not his fault), I think the band is great, but with vocals, the mix becomes equal, but in the worst way possible. The death growls put out by Whitechapel frontman Phil Bozeman overpower the rest of the instruments, effectively drowning out the rest of the band. However, the producer seems to have put the vocals in the mix at the same volume as everything else, leaving with some parts of songs that are just constant noise. That's my only real gripe, however. They need to lower down the rest of the instruments if they want the vocals to be at the forefront of the mix. Other than that, these guys go into territory that I haven't really heard them venturing into before. There's many different sounds to engross the listener on this album. In addition to the heavy guitars and furious drums, they also find room for quieter, more experimental sections where they have pianos ("Make It Bleed", "Devoid", "Possibilities Of An Impossible Existence"), sound effects such as a flatline on an EKG ("Section 8"), clean guitar ("Dead Silence", "The Night Remains"), and Spoken Words ("Hate Creation", "The Night Remains"). This album consists of 10 very diverse tracks, each of which is very distinguishable from the next, with some awesome Whitechapel breakdowns, and a ton of variety with this album. At first, it seemed as if this album couldn't tell what it wanted to be, but the more I listened to it, the more I felt a sense of connection between these tracks. Overall, a very good sounding album, my only gripe being the mix (personally I think the vocals should be kept at a constant volume, and have the instrumental get quieter or louder around the vocals).

I really like the singer's voice on this album. On some songs he sounds genuinely p-ssed off ("Make It Bleed", "Faces"), and his cleaner singing is good as well ("I, Dementia"). His vocal skills have improved from the band's last LP, "A New Era Of Corruption". This time around, Phil is much better at death growling and screaming. I can't really understand what he's saying, so I looked up the lyrics, and a lot of them have to do with society and corruption and how the lead singer thinks everyone in society is a mindless sheep following trends. It's fairly interesting but slightly generic as far as DeathCore lyrics go. Overall, though, props to Phil for his vocal skills on this LP, they're fantastic!

Overall, this band is growing more and more talented and gaining appreciations for more and more styles of music they wouldn't have dared put on their previous LP's, such as "This Is Exile", while a good album, it lacked variety. Whitechapel's self-titled LP has variety, along with incredible solos, great breakdowns, amazing drumming, and overall good musicianship. Can't wait to hear more!

MrCheezus
    This is their darkest deepest record. They didn't seek to make the most brutal album, even though it's more brutal than most bands their age and genre. This is more of conceptual/theme album. And there's a sadness to it, that makes it grammy worthy.
    SGofawesome
    inkrakenwetrust wrote: if its anything like the somatic defilement i could be interested
    It's not. I mean, there's essences of it, but it's much more musically evolved then that of The Somatic Defilement. I don't think they'll ever return to that style though. Phil has admitted that he feels the Somatic/Exile era to be "childish and unrefined".
    Insomnia69
    I definitely like the new direction these guys are going, they're developing their own sound in terms of their previous work. I LOVED Hate Creation, I, Dementia, and Section 8.
    Camron62\m/
    Whitechapel has definitely brought upon a stronger sense of groove and less "core" with this album.... took me a while to get used to.
    Dude475
    @BwareDWare94 I hate you. I think that this is exile is way better. Although i havent quite finished the album (on track 8 atm), it hasnt been as good and heavy as this is exile. IN my opinion. It has a couple of songs i like