1987 review by Whitesnake

• Released: Apr 7, 1987
Whitesnake: 1987

1987 or Whitesnake is a glam metal album which contains Whitesnake's hits Here I Go Again (1987 version), Is This Love and Still Of The Night. It's also got a re-recorded version of Crying in the Rain. The sound of the album is OK. I like the drum sounds which are clear. The sound is overall pretty clear all the time but some times when there's synths and all the guitars playing at the same time the sound is muddy. They use lots of synths in many songs. The album has many great guitar riffs. The guitar solos are awesome. In some songs the guitar solos are too shreddy but they work pretty well.

The lyrics are about love. They are like "love blablabla... " I don't listen to the lyrics so actively but I know that they are not the best part of the album and I would not suggest this album for those who prefer lyrics to the music itself. The strongest tracks are Still Of The Night, Here I Go Again, Bad Boys And Children Of The Night. The weakest songs are Straight For The Heart, You Gonna Break My Heart Again And Don't Turn Away. Lyrically I like Children of the Night the most. It's got a great rock'n'roll feel: "Are you ready to rock/ Children of the night/ Are you ready to roll/ Children of the night" The lyrics of that song are very catchy. David Coverdale is a great singer. He has a Robert Plant-like voice and you can hear some Led Zeppelin influences on the first track Still Of The Night which is my favorite song on the album. It reminds me of Zeppelin's songs Black Dog and Whole Lotta Love.

This is my only Whitesnake album so I'm not a Whitesnake fan but I like it very much. There are no songs that I don't like and that's the thing I like the most on this album. The strongest songs are Still Of The Night, Here I Go Again, Bad Boys and Children of the Night and the weakest songs are Straight for the Heart, You Gonna Break My Heart Again and Don't Turn Away as I said before. This album is great so I would maybe like to buy another Whitesnake album.