1987 review by Whitesnake

• Released: Apr 7, 1987
Whitesnake: 1987

Whitesnake as most people know is fronted by David Coverdale who was Ian Gillan's replaced in Deep Purple on the Mark III-IV line-ups from June 1973 to March 1976. It was to hard edged classic rock sound that Coverdale used as a blue pattern in Whitesnake from when he started the band in 1978 up until 1984's "Slide It In" album. By the time Whitesnake released their self-titled 1987 album (or 1987 as some people call it) fans no longer wanted the 70s style of hard rock and early metal they wanted the music of L.A.'s hair metal scene and that of the Bay Area thrash metal scene here in the US. For a band that never played this style before this album is and will always be a masterpiece whether it's from a musician's or fan's standpoint the true power, energy, and talent in this line-up of Whitesnake brought the heavy riff driven tones of the 70s and mixed it with the good time, party style of the 80s. This album was the first and only "INTERNATIONAl" album featuring former Tygers of Pan Tang and Thin Lizzy guitarist John Sykes. The reason being for international in caps. Is that Sykes played on the US release of '84s "Slide It In", but not on the UK release. Sykes brings in the raw energy Coverdale needed to win over the US audience and create this monster sounding album. This album showed Sykes' best solo work up until this album playing fast, crazy, and blustering guitar solos like on "Give Me All Your Love", "Children Of The Night", and probably the best guitar solo on this album no matter if its the US or European release, the solo on the remake of 1982's "Crying In The Rain". Depending on what version of the album you have it shows Coverdale's softer side with the gigantic hit of the power ballad "Is This Love" and on the European version included the second ballad "Looking For Love" which is one of the best songs on the album starting with a calm, mellow feel growing to an balls out jam by the end with a shredding Sykes end solo. You can't say much more about this album that hasn't already been said whether it's from the huge hits of "Here I Go Again", "Still Of The Night", and "Is This Love" or the not so well known songs like "Bad Boys" and "Straight For The Heart" it has the amazing quality and musicianship that every musician and fan wants to hear from their favorite bands.

This album took David Coverdale vocally where he'd very been before. Listening to him whether it was from the Deep Purple days to every Whitesnake release before this one he always had a hard bluesy tone to his voice rather than the high-ranged, ballsy vocal style on this album. Most of the time no matter if its but in the day or presently vocalist stick with their one vocal style and are afraid to take the risk of seeing what they are fully capable of doing. Coverdale proved to the world he had what it took vocally on this album and delivered 110%. Lyrically it was your normal hard rock/hair metal album of the 80s but with a British twist on it. Instead of the getting laid and getting high and/or drunk and partying like the lyrics of American hair metal bands Whitesnake explored more of the romantic said of things but keeping it sexual enough for the women your best proof of this is in the breakdown on "Still Of The Night" where Coverdale is in the sexual tone you'd be in while performing foreplay with your girlfriend or wife. Lyrically and vocally this album is definitely a winner since most hair metal bands by this time all had singers and lyrics that sounded the same making it had to tell one from the other.

Overall this album is great and show each person's full potential. If your just getting into this band or expanding your catalog as a Whitesnake fan this album will not disappoint you at all. Hearing "Here I Go Again", "Still Of The Night", and "Is This Love" on the radio still today is great, but there are so many more great songs not played that are on. The only down side about this album is the solo on the remake of "Here I Go Again". Played by Adrian Vandenberg (who would replace Sykes after the release of this album as Sykes went on to form Blue Murder with drummer Carmine Appice (Vanilla Fudge) that debut in 1989) the solo didn't live up to the rest of the solos provided by John Sykes. The line-up of David Coverdale on vocals, John Sykes on guitar, Neil Murray on bass, Aynsley Dunbar on drums, and Don Airey on keyboards Whitesnake did the impossible creating a perfect album. If you haven't heard or bought this album I STRONGLY suggest you do it won't let you down and be hard rock at it's greatest.

diehard666
    how are you about to say You're Gonna Break My Heart Again is a weak song are you serious? 9 out of the 11 songs are strong hard a**-kicking songs the other 2 are ballads if you have no idea what you're talking about don't a review plain and simple
    MaggaraMarine
    IMO, Don't Break My Heart Again was one of the weakest, maybe the weakest compared to the other songs on the album. But really, my review sucks, please don't read it.
    MaggaraMarine
    And I'm justified to have my own opinion and yours doesn't matter at all. It's all about taste, man. You can't say that I'm worng, it's about my taste and your taste and they differ. I didn't find You're Gonna Break My Heart Again that special (sorry for misspelling it on my first comment). I mean, the other fast songs were better. And the ballads are pretty good songs. I'm not sure which of them you count as ballads.