1987 review by Whitesnake

• Released: Apr 7, 1987
Whitesnake: 1987

After singer David Coverdale left Deep Purple in the mid-1970s, he formed this band, Whitesnake. Though they are often classified as a hair metal band, they do not fit in well with the likes of Motley Crue, Twisted Sister and such, having much more in common with something like Led Zeppelin, around "Zoso"-period. This is because, while the majority of hair metal bands were focused on sex, drugs, and rock and roll, Whitesnake chose to focus mainly on the theme of romance, sexual or otherwise. And they chose to do so in a style so oddly out of place in the 1980s that it's a miracle this album ever got made. I mean yes, it's power ballads mostly, but it's on a whole different level.

Though there are indeed some cheesy lyrics, most of them are actually quite good and on top of that, David Coverdale's singing voice is just plain amazing. He sounds like Robert Plant on steroids. The music, particularly the guitar work, is very reminiscent of classical music, but with a slightly more rock feel, and I really think it serves as an excellent compliment to Coverdale's vocal style. I honestly don't know what else to say, there's nothing distinctly bad that stands out even after many repeated listens, sometimes immediately after I finished listening to it. This is an album that simply is a testament to the sheer greatness of melodic hard rock.

I love this album. I have it on my iTunes and it is also on every MP3 player I own. I have never gotten tired of listening to it and it doesn't sound even remotely outdated. The sound quality is spectacular, which is quite notable, considering this particular Whitesnake album, unlike a lot of the band's discography, has yet to be re-released and remastered. I can safely say I don't really want to hear a remastered version of this album, as I don't really think there's anything all that important for them to do. It still sounds fresh and strong, even after twenty-seven years since the original release. I think I am going to check out some more of Whitesnake's discography soon.