Forevermore review by Whitesnake

• Released: Mar 25, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Whitesnake: Forevermore

Whitesnake was put under the microscope with the release of its 10th record Good To Be Bad back in 2008 and for good reason. That particular album the first for the band in 11 years in many ways validated just exactly why Whitesnake has been a household name in rock for several decades. The big splash has settled, and David Coverdale and the boys are back again (minus the magnifying glass at least to some extent) to present its latest batch of big-chorus, guitar-driven tunes on Forevermore. Given the increasing number of mellow offerings, it's obvious in many ways that the band is trying to prove itself as mature musicians looking to expand their horizons. That's all well and good, but that often also means that the pace is slowed down. Forevermore isn't a bad album by any means, but it also doesn't scream classic.

The 13 tracks certainly cover the expected Whitesnake ground: blues goodness in one moment, straightforward rock grittiness in the next, and of course, a big helping of ballads. Are there any songs that come close to having the staying power of Here I Go Again or Slide It In? Well, not entirely. Whitesnake is absolutely at its best when it injects plenty of blues into its core songwriting, and guitarist Doug Aldrich and Reb Beach supply some astoundingly fantastic riffs. Whipping Boy Blues and Steal Your Heart Away are standouts for their grooves (not to mention the latter's slide work), while Love Will Set You Free and Dogs in the Street capture a more straightforward rock essence with a heavy dose of all-out grit. There are more than a few mediocre songs on Forevermore, but Aldrich and Beach always seem to swoop in to save the day.

Coverdale can still be considered a vocal dynamo at the age of 59. The man hasn't ebbed vocally, although he seems to be just as content to sing more mid-tempo tracks as the powerhouse numbers. Easier Said Than Done and Fare Thee Well represent his more low-key side, and while he still sounds compelling, those particular tracks simply don't engage like the other 11 offerings. As much as the idea of a power ballad gets abused, Whitesnake is a band that in the past has delivered thanks to Coverdale's prowess at conveying emotional themes. Forevermore isn't jam-packed with anything that follows in the footsteps of Is This Love, but the title track is very possibly the best song on the entire album. A heartfelt-yet-melancholy ballad, Forevermore even builds into its own Kashmir moment.

The lyrical content is certainly not the strong point of Forevermore, if only for the fact that you've heard plenty of the rhyme schemes time and time again. To put it simply, Whitesnake is borrowing from a long line of standard rock templates, which is nothing new for them or any other rock band. A track like Easier Said Than Done features lines like, You're everything I've waited for; Now I don't have to look no more; You're everything I want you to be; baby; Baby why don't you stay with me? There's nothing wrong with those sentiments or any of the others, but you just know what's coming with each lyric.

Even if you have a preference for the John Sykes or Steve Vai eras, Whitesnake's lineup is currently a solid one. That doesn't always translate into the most original songwriting, but in terms of musicianship there are multiple wow moments. The guitar work is top-notch and the solos are abundant. Forevermore doesn't come close to matching some of the classics of decade's past, but songs like the title track and Whipping Boy Blues indicate that Whitesnake still has more to offer almost 35 years after its original formation.

Doc_46
    Got this album a few weeks back and been listening to it constantly since. I loved "Good To Be Bad" but this (in my humble opinion)is Just better....The solos in particular are outstanding. I'm amazed no one picked out "Love and treat me right" it's definitely one of the highlights for me....Hoping for an Irish date to be added soon to the current tour. Keep up the good work lads,
    deehewitson
    I may have to agree and disagree... I'm a die hard Whitesnake fan and although I loved Good To Be Bad, the new album has beat it all by many standards. They've went back to the original "blues" that made the "old" Whitesnake and on certain songs you can almost hear Page being present. Aldrich never fails to disappoint and some of his solos are out of this world. The main surprise when I heard samples before the album was released was with "forevermore" - I thought "oh no not another 7 minute ballad... however buying the album this song soon and immediately became one of my favourite songs of all time let alone the favourite on the album. Very blues, very classic rock, and to a point very Led Zeppelin. I love it!! This to me is the best thing to come from Whitesnake since 1987! This album is absolute genius!
    stoubora
    I bought the new album today, the special edition one from Classic Rock magazine. Ace album, more emphasis on the songwriting. Great riffs and guitar work from the guitarists and Mr Coverdale still has that voice! love it!
    Fabrique
    The new album in my opinion stands up rather well,no not a classic but not a dud either...all in all a great performance 7/10
    ed_the_head
    it's a good album, title song is great! maybe Good to Be Bad had a bit more energy, but i think that Forevermore will age well.
    sewoo55
    Cjk10000 wrote: *Goes to listen to Nevermore*
    lols nevermore is a progressive metal band. quite different from whitesnake..... but if you like metal you should defiinitely give nevermore a try. songs to look out for "the river dragon has come","Sentient 6"
    Wolfinator-x
    Hell yeah! Whitesnake's newer stuff is different from their 80s material, but unlike many older bands, they didn't start making bad music like say, Skid Row or Guns N Roses.
    GezzyDiversion
    Got the special UK edition today, althought it may not be a 'classic album', it still kicks some ass anyways
    aleksi1666
    This album really rocks!!! I`m very happy that I`m going to concert! Rock on Dave and others!
    Fleur de Lys
    Good review, but I must say I do not agree. In my opinion it's even better than Good To Be Bad. The groove is awesome and so are the solo's. Great riffs. I love it. It's up there with the classics.
    evan-simpson22
    Its nothing special nothing bad either, just a standard Whitesnake album in my opinion. You nailed the review though.
    boris6491
    I think topping the last album would have been quite some effort. The last one was absolutely fantastic. Good album but I do agree in many cases with the reviewer. Another song that really holds my fancy was All Out of Luck. Doug Aldrich, to me, is one of the best hard rock riff writers in the business.
    DrCOOL
    I liked this one quite a bit. But I could have done without a few tracks. I'd say it's just as good as their previous record.
    Anjohl
    Really liked the last one, I think I will check this out. Good timing too, I have been really digging Coverdale/Page again lately.