Slip Of The Tongue review by Whitesnake

• Released: Nov 18, 1989
Whitesnake: Slip Of The Tongue

Not much can be said about Whitesnake as a band. Whitesnake is basically the David Coverdale project as the band has had a constant revolving door of members, with only Coverdale sticking around. However, with this particular line up, they truly created some magic. Guitar virtuosos Steve Vai and Adrian Vandenberg were hired, along with Rudy Sarzo and Tommy Aldridge, to create "Slip of the Tongue". Honestly, this is my all time favorite Whitesnake album. Vai's guitar performance on this record is absolutely outstanding. The solo and rhythm sections are virtually perfect and flow nicely with Aldridge's drumming. Due to injury, Vandenberg was unable to perform on the recording, leaving Vai in charge of all guitar responsibilities. Not every song on this record is that great, but songs like "Wings Of The Storm" and "Sailing Ships" have such musical build that you can escape completely within the music. The band itself is so tight on this record, its a shame they only made one album together.

The lyrics and vocalization in this album are also much more impressive than those of other Whitesnake albums. Unlike the previous two records, Coverdale takes a hiatus from lyrical ideas simply revolving around sex, and goes much deeper in this record. The lyrical crown point of this album is the very last track "Sailing ships". Then, there is the performance. Coverdale has always been a legendary vocalist, but even he seemed to step it up in this record. The lyrics and vocal performances become very intimate with the music in some parts of this record. This album also contains an updated version of "Fool For Your Loving", an older Whitesnake song released originally in 1980.

At the time of its release, it received mainly mixed to negative reviews. I can't quite figure out why. This is without a doubt the best album Whitesnake ever released (at least in my opinion). I say the main reason is because Coverdale hired some truly talented musicians to perform and co-write this album. In fact, this album is how I got into Steve Vai. It still compares very well to other Whitesnake releases, but goes quite a bit deeper and explores new territory. I guarantee you that it will take you places if you let it. I have bought this album three times already, first when I was 8, and last just a couple of years ago. This album will not escape my music collection, ever!

E-dogg66
    I grew up with this one in the good old walkman, Great album Great Riff`s
    semus
    Longhairedrockr wrote: Why is this here? A little late isn't it?
    Its still relevant..
    vsdornelas
    guitfiddleRR
    vsdornelas : Great album, but the best Whitesnake is, in my opinion, the pre-1984 band. David Coversale, Micky Moody, Bernie Marsden, Jon Lord, Ian Paice, Neil Murray and all the bluesy-rock you could take. I miss that band... *goes listen to "Walking In The Shadow Of The Blues"*.
    Ya i know what you mean. This album just grew on me i guess. However, the pre 84 whitesnake was awesome. Many of those albums were down towards the classic rock side of things and less glammy. They are definetely good i'll have to post some reviews of them later on.
    Longhairedrockr : Why is this here? A little late isn't it?
    Dude, what I do is try to find albums on UG that haven't been reviewed for the site yet and I review them. I think its a good idea, I don't give a f**k how old they are
    drawnacrol
    Wolfinator-x
    drawnacrol wrote: Great review, some incredible songs on this album and my favorite record that steve vai has played on
    Check out Viper by Marty Friedman, he plays on that too. Whitesnake is awesome, by the way.
    Rajah
    E-dogg66 wrote: I grew up with this one in the good old walkman, Great album Great Riff`s
    Hahah, me too! This was one of the first CDs I ever bought, either late 1989 or early 1990. I love it and still listen to it at least once every couple of weeks, if not more. The age of an album is not relevant to whether it should be reviewed or not. Nice job!