Summerteeth review by Wilco

• Released: Mar 9, 1999
Wilco: Summerteeth

Summerteeth was a big turning point for Wilco's music. It came after Being There's harder, rockier sound, and ventured into more psychedelia, lyrical exploration, and experimental overtones. It was recorded inbetween and during the recording of the Billy Bragg and Wilco albums, Mermaid Avenue 1 and 2, and it's very, very good.

The lyrics are slightly more complex and "deep", as Jeff Tweedy's creations always are. It's a more sad album, and approaches more situations of heartbreak, loneliness, etc. However plenty of the songs are as happy and energetic as the previous album, and the music is very in-sinc with the words.

This is a very in-the-middle album of Wilco. It was very transitional from the side of alternative country into the genius of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and A Ghost Is Born. As all other Wilco creations, its an excellent album and a necessary buy for any fan, of any degree. It has a suprising amount of variety in music. In fact, it's probably the most versatile of albums from the group. If I lost my Summerteeth, I would absolutely get it again.