Resistance review by Winds of Plague

• Released: Oct 29, 2013
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Winds of Plague: Resistance

Resistance is the fifth studio release from SoCal metal six piece Winds Of Plague. The album is released by Century Media and has 10 tracks 34 minutes in total runtime. Produced by Will Putney who had previously worked with Shadows Fall and Suicide Silence, among others. "Resistance" also features a new member behind the drums in Brandon Gallindo formerly of Dead In Existence, as Art Cruz left the band due to creative differences. The album features the same fair of low guttural vocals, powerful guitar riffs and eerie keyboard arrangements they became famous for with their sophomore release "Decimate the Weak" in 2008. They don't really challenge their previous sound with this newest release, not to say it's exactly the same as their 2011 release "Against the World," but it does not bring anything to the table we haven't heard before from them. The album starts with a very eerie instrumental piece sounding like something from symphonic black metal band that lasts about a minute before a low bass note that would rattle your speakers off the table followed by chugging, breakdown style guitars and low screams. This opening track titled "Open the Gates of Hell" was released early as a preview track to the album a month prior to its release. It's a great track to kick of the album; however the symphonic metal sound is abandoned there with it never to appear again. The next track is possibly the best on the album, "Say Hello to the Undertaker" seamlessly blends with the previous track and has some very interesting melodic guitar and piano runs that are right out of the Winds Of Plague wheelhouse. Track 3 titled "Sewer Mouth" features a guest vocal from Vince Bennent of The Acacia Strain. The overall sound of the song is really good, solid guitars, perfect drums and brutal vocals; I'll speak more to the vocals and lyrics later. "Left for Dead" and "One Foot in the Grave," and "United Through Hatred" are other notable tracks on the album. The track titled "Good Ol' Fashion Bloodbath" has a decent guitar solo and a breakdown sure to break ribs when played live.

The lyrics and style are really no different than what was featured on "Against the World." A common theme seems to be defeating your enemies, crushing naysayers and calling everyone motherf**ker; pretty run of the mill for these guys and boy does it fit well with the style of music. One track in particular that has some interesting lyrics is the aforementioned "Sewer Mouth." The lyrics are pretty straight forward until a certain point. Towards the end of the song this line is clearly audible, "I don't care who you think you know, You don't even know yourself, You spent your whole life sucking d-ck, You should be used to this." I'd expect this from Kanye, but not from Winds Of Plague. It's unintelligent 'zingers; like this that cause others to discount you as a serious musician. After hearing that line I sorta lost interest in the rest of the album for a while before I forced myself to listen again. The remaining songs like I said before are standard fare for Winds Of Plague, lots of anger and lots of motherf**kers.

Overall my impression of the album first time through was not a good one. Tracks 1 & 2 were solid starts, "Sewer Mouth" distracted and confused me to the point I stopped listening all together for a couple hours and then pick up where I left off. I am hesitant to say this but at this time I don't think it's as strong a production as their previous work. My conclusion could be a premature one though, because I remember feeling this same way after both "The Great Stone War" and "Against the World" were released. So I'll say that I believe they can do better for now, see how I feel in a month after I listened to it cover to cover more than 4 times in 48 hours. I do however like the majority of the songs for what they are, definitely some good music to listen to while at the gym. My least favorite part of the album besides the lyric in "Sewer Mouth" is the fact that I don't feel like they progressed musically at all since their previous release. I don't want to be the guy who says "Make that one album over again, that one ruled," but the sweeping arpeggios featured on "Decimate the Weak" are what drew me to their music. Those aspects are all but gone on their recent releases. I would buy it again if I had to, I'd hate to miss the chance to grow to love it over time.