The Great Stone War review by Winds of Plague

• Released: Aug 11, 2009
Winds of Plague: The Great Stone War

The sound represented in The Great Stone War is really a step-forward from Winds of Plague's previous effort, Decimate the Weak. This album has the recording debuts of drummer Art Cruz and keyboardist Kristen Randall. WoP's deathcore sound is evolved by a abundant use of keyboards to fit in with the epic, war-theme present in the lyrics. I found this a welcome addition to their sound, as it helps to make every song feel massive. The guitars have a few interesting riffs here and there with the occasional solo, but they still follow the chugging breakdown riffs present in so many other bands today. Johnny Plague's vocals are complimented by the other instruments and help bring their battle/war concept to life.

The lyrics are another driving force on this album since it is based on this final battle for the planet theme. While some choruses are catchy like in the songs Forged In Fire and Soldiers of Doomsday, the rest kind of seem cliche, with the album openers and closers, Earth and Tides Of Change having sort of lame narratives.

I found The Great Stone War to be a welcome addition to the Winds of Plague catalog, with most of the songs making you crank the volume and headbang. It may be slightly inferior to previous releases, but that doesn't mean it isn't a solid effort. Overall Impression: 8.5/10

Veil of Lies
    godsmackdone
    I thought this record was 3 times better than their last. The songs are more cohesive and melodic, and seem to have more of a purpose than the ones on Decimate.
    nothingserious2
    i definitely agree with godsmack, the great stone war is definitely well written. It's the first winds of plague album that you have to listen to all the way through, or your just getting jipped. I love the fact that the keyboards were really pulled forward in the mix. And I like the fact that they shy away from their previous attempts at over the top tough guy hardcore, instead they go into like some fast thrashy sounding stuff. which is cool. i'd give the album an 8.5 too, but thats because decimate was a solid 6.5
    Eurasian_C
    Decimate The Weak had some awesome songs on there, but I feel like this album is where the band's melodic elements really shine. The nuances made with the keys are absolutely amazing and they take the music to a whole new level. There are really not a lot of bands like them. The only thing I really have against this band are the inhale vocals, but that's not even a big thing ahahaha. One problem with the album is that the production quality seems to fluctuate from tracks 47, particularly the snare. Other than that, this is a very solid album. Best track is "Our Requiem".
    joaonofear
    Very nice guitar work. Really puts them apart from the crappy compositions that bands like whitechapel and oceano are playing (downtuned cords and constant breakdowns dont make a good band, on the contrary). Drums and bass do their work and the keyboards fit in nicely. I have great expectations for these guys.
    6stringbassist
    The Great Stone War was a great CD, but I think Decimate the Weak was a more memorable album. I just can't get as into this one as I can Decimate. Pre-ordered it and got my exclusive WoP bandanna+Cd for 18$
    fearnothingveno
    This album put Decimate the weak to shame! Don't get me wrong but DtW was good, but this just blew it away. Still I am a strong Fan of A Cold Day to Hell.
    Megalomaniac46
    The_Rev_3R
    Amazing Album .... best Deathcore album in a long time ... and i personally liked the the clean intro and outro to the CD and Mitch Lucker is in The Classic Struggle ... though its not on the back of the case its in the last page of the booklet lol
    xwarlockx69
    Megalomaniac46 wrote: I was listening to The Classic Struggle on this album and I could have sworn that I heard Mitch Luker from Suicide Silence in there, towards the end of the song. Just thought that deserved mentioning Dude, I was just going to mention that! It's an uncanny resemblance. And this reviewer has it all wrong imo. This album pwns.