Wintersun review by Wintersun

• Released: Sep 13, 2004
Wintersun: Wintersun

Wintersun's self titled album was written entirely by guitarist/vocalist Jari Maenpaa (except the drums), and is a masterpiece like no other. The music combines all the elements I love of metal, with the screams of melodic death, symphonic keys of black metal, excellent guitar work, and some really good singing. The guitar tone is clean and punchy, almost reminiscent of death. There are times when the sound gets a little muddy with so many instruments, but overall, it's exellent. The album has no story, although all the lyrics are based on Jari's thoughts and experiences.

The lyrics are excellently written. As I said, the lyrics are based on Jari's life and thoughts. They even get better/more mature as the album goes along. For example, on the song Beautiful Death. These are probly the best lyrics on the album, and they are about the time when Jari had tuberculosis, and had to have a part of his lung removed. The lyrics fit the music perfectly, nothing is forced or awkward. Jari has an absolutely awesome voice. The harsh vocals sound like most melodic death or black metal vocals, but the singing is fantastic. Jari's voice sometimes imitates Halford or King Diamond, sometimes he goes to a low range, or a tenor range; his range is unbelievable.

This is definitely my favorite album, possibly even the best I've listened to. It's hard to pick a song that stands out, but I think Starchild is the best, and easily most epic on the album. Beautiful Death is close behind. Sleeping Stars is a really good slow song, with Death and the Healing probly the most melodic. There is literally, nothing I hate about this album. I love everything, from the epic-ness, to the combination of all my favorite things in metal. If it were lost, it wouldn't be a big deal to me, as I have it on my computer. If it were stolen, I'd give props to the guy who stole it for having good taste.

Sabbath89
    Ozzy87_2 wrote: Yes I have their album on my PC and I have listened it a few times. But... maybe I was too eager to critizice them. This is Wintersuns lucky day as I shall give them another change and give the album a few more listens.
    The Black Salts
    I bought the CD almost a week ago. I'm totally hooked; Jari actually makes slow-paced songs sound amazing. Usually slow power metal songs bore me, but not from Wintersun! Some people say it's basic music played fast, and I can understand that because not all the songs are that complex, but the passion is really what counts and the album isn't missing any of it. That goes without mentioning how insane the solos are...you can't really get much better than that.
    ScrewYouAll
    Sabbath89 wrote: Don't be a condescending douche. This album is epic, and if you can't hear that by listening to them, then your ears are not ready for the musical prowess that is Wintersun.
    Damn straight... +1 WINTER MADNESS!
    acrozombie2000
    This is one of the most technical, most beatifully composed/most amazing albums i have ever heard!!!
    xshorteyx
    I heard some few songs on the net.. and i was hooked.. I searched all the norwegian damn pages to buy it, never found it until i got it from the Usa , on Ebay. lol. This is a SICK CD.. Jari Owns.. Love the music, cant describe it enough.!
    Jonjy2
    falafel wrote: the best 'new' artist of the 21th century, can't wait 'till the new record
    +1 most amazing and epic music I've ever heard
    Silent Breath
    If no one knows the album will be called "Time" and the track titles are: 1. Sons of Winter and Stars 2. Land of Snow and Sorrow 3. Time 4. Fire 5. One with the Shadows 6. Storm 7. Silver Leaves WINTERSUN ROCKS!
    Silent Breath
    If everyone here loves wintersun join my group DEATH AND THE HEALING ROCKS! My name:Silent Breath. Group:The forgotten souls
    Ozzy87_2
    ndrw_mlndz
    God. I hate it when people talk about music and they have no idea what their saying. For those of u who dont know. Wintersun is not death metal. Wintersun is mostly Power metal with some influence of some Folk metal and Death metal.