Wintersun review by Wintersun

• Released: Sep 13, 2004
Wintersun: Wintersun

Epic, Majestic, Powerful... all adjectives which describe the self-titled first release from this Finnish musical wizard, Jari Maenpaa. This album features a high level of musicianship in all instruments, from the insane guitar solo of 'Winter Madness' to keyboard passages and the constant high level of drumming from Kai Hahto (also of Rotten Sound). This album was performed almost entirely by Jari himself, apart from the aforementioned drums. His level of skill on all of the instruments involved is staggering, and to maintain this skill over material written over a 10 year period while performing in another band (Ensiferum) is impressive. The one downside to the album, in my opinion is the lack of solos on ALL of the songs, and the shortness of the first track ('Beyond the Dark Sun'). Otherwise, this album attains near perfection.

The lyrics of these songs are very personal to Jari, for example he deals with his struggles with TB in one of them. The songs all follow a similar theme, fairly melancholic and icy, very fitting to the band name and the concept of the album and it's (rather splendid) cover. The skill with which Jari sings in this album could hardly be found lacking, as he performs both high and low screams with as much ease as he sings the clean passages (especially on 'Death and the Healing'). Although this type of singing is not for everyone, it fits the music perfectly, and to be honest, if you have delved deeply enough into metal to find Wintersun, you can hardly complain about the screams.

Wintersun has, typically, been compared to other Finnish bands of similar ilk; Ensiferum, Kalmah, Children of Bodom etc, yet it does not really match up to any of them. This music does not really fit into any of the usual sub-genres (without obscene ammounts of slashes) but it seems to skim the best parts of all of these other genres. The most impressive songs are 'Sleeping Stars', 'Death and the Healing' and 'Starchild'. If I were to lose this album, I would definitely buy it again, as it is one of the most frequently played albums in my collection.

Jtous15
    Ozzy87_2 wrote: Simple music played too fast.
    Peres.T.Peanut
    Jtous15 wrote: Ozzy87_2 wrote: Simple music played too fast. you dont know what your talking about and your obviously just to stupid to understand and appreciate this incredible and beautiful album.
    Nirvanarien
    One of my favorite Bands and Albums ever! And Jari is most definitely my favorite Guitarist, and one of the best ones around these days(probably even one of the best ones EVER!) I can't wait for their new album! But the long wait has become rather painful tho
    Sampoperkele!
    ndrw_mlndz wrote: God. I hate it when people talk about music and they have no idea what their saying. For those of u who dont know. Wintersun is not death metal. Wintersun is mostly Power metal with some influence of some Folk metal and Death metal.
    LOL, get a life dude. Who cares about these classifications. There's you on your high horse but ultimately you're shooting yourself in the foot by coming across as a condescending jerk. My point: It's wonderful, wonderful music that is beyond a single genre with it's layered and multifaceted songwriting. So your description of it being a mix of this and that is also flawed. I hate it when people do that
    rob904
    Sabbath89
    rob904 wrote: Time has been released as a single and is floating around the internet somewhere
    No it hasn't. It's a fake... a really bad fake, too.
    Technically Wintersun is closer to Melodic Death Metal than anything. I don't know where you got "Folk Metal" from when listening to this album. Eluveitie is Folk Metal... Korpiklaani is Folk Metal, Wintersun is not Folk Metal. Oh, and they couldn't be any farther from Power Metal. Bal-Sagoth certainly doesn't come to mind when I listen to this album, heh. You should do a little research before trying to act like a dick on the internet. So now you look like an unintelligent dick and I'm guessing that wasn't what you were aiming for. And by the way, your grammar is horrid.
    MikeShawMe
    Wow.. I didn't think UGers would like this album. I thought I was the only one who thought it is amazing. Haha, my dumb ass friend doesn't know any of these songs and says he likes them.. Eh... he's all obsessed with Black Metal... -.- Widen your variety! This cd is ****ing amazing. SERIOUSLY!
    althebold711
    " The genre of Wintersun is under debate, but Jari himself describes Wintersun as extreme majestic technical epic melodic metal." Jari had to have been making a joke there...
    sebuka
    Which telecaster jari plays?? I coulnd't find it anywhere! thanks
    krizzlybaer
    tokai
    sebuka wrote: Which telecaster jari plays?? I coulnd't find it anywhere! thanks