Everything In Moderation Review

Winterville: Everything In Moderation
Release Date: Nov. 14, 2005
Label: Townsend Records
Genres: Hard Rock, Blues-Rock
Winterville follow their recent single 'Under My Skin' with their debut album, Everything In Moderation. The band are influenced by Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Cream and Black Sabbath.
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Everything In Moderation Reviewed by: slashs_#1_fan, on february 17, 2006

Sound: This debut album is a mixture of classic rock and grunge, taking the best from both genres to produce a strong sounding album that immediately feels like a classic. It combines Free and Led Zeppelin with the best of Soundgarden and early Pearl Jam with the added flair of the young frontman Pete Shoulder. Songs like "Shotgun Smile" and "Penny For The Fool" show off Mr. Shoulders riffing talent, and songs like the acoustic "Mr 3 Percent" and the bluesy "Idle Hands" really show the talent behind the frontman, who was recently nominated for the 2006 Blues Music Award. The sound is a recognisable Gibson-Marshall combination that gives the riffs a satisfying crunch and the solo's that thick edge that is so pleasurable to hear. Unfortunately, those who have seen the band live may feel he held back a little when writing the solo's, as they don't show his true talent, yet are still more than satisfying to hear. // 10

Lyrics: Overall, the lyrics on this album are very impressive. The verses are deep and meaningful, and the choruses are catchy. The singer Pete Shoulders voice is amazing. His voice reminds you of Chris Cornell. It is very powerful and compliments the music perfectly. The vocalist from Thunder, Danny Bowes, said "I keep banging on about this kid Peter Shoulder, he's (is now 22) a 19 year old Geordie who plays the guitar like Stevie Ray Vaughan and sings like David Coverdale. I just want to chop him in the throat and shut his hands in the door. He makes you sick hes so talented." He is right aswell, it is impressive to listen to. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm a harsh critic of modern music, I will quote my media teacher when he said "Yeah, this is coming from a guy who doesn't listen to anything that was made after 1969!" (obviously exaggerating considering my favourite band is Guns N' Roses). It is partly true though, I am not into that many 21st Century bands, and those I do were either formed before the 21st Century and are still going, or who's members consist of rocks stars who found fame in the 20th Century. Normally I'd dismiss most new music out of hand, but Winterville blew me away. They are a lifeline for classic rock. They are still relatively small and unheard of, but I beleive they are a breath of fresh air for the industry. I am a huge fan of Velvet Revolver, but I'd say this album is better! To pick a best song is hard, very hard. For me it would have to be "Idle Hands," a bluesy master-piece. I like to tickle my grunge tastebuds with "Shotgun Smile" and my love for classic rock is satisfied with "Breathe." Every track is great, the weakest probably being "Nothing," which is still a great track. I'm trying desperately to find faults with this album, but I just can't, they are just that good. // 10

Comments