Horror review by With Blood Comes Cleansing

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Jan 22, 2008
  • Sound: 7
  • Lyrics: 5
  • Overall Impression: 6
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
  • Users' score: 7.2 (32 votes)
With Blood Comes Cleansing: Horror
1

Sound — 7
Despite being Christians, With Blood Comes Cleansing do not hold back on Horror. Guitarists Scott Erickson and Jeremy Sims prove to be an adequately talented duo, their dynamics ranging from vicious down-picked rhythms on Lash upon Lash, to tremolo picking on Hematidrosis. Although unfair to generalise, these songs do represent a genre that has been known to lack versatility at the best of times; WBCC fail to dispel this criticism with their dependence on what is the genre's greatest weapon, but also it's most poignant adversary: the breakdown, which increasingly superfluous as the record progresses. In other areas, death metal fans will be gratified to find the presence of blast beats in terms of the drums on this album, and by no means should the Christianity-orientated lyrics dissuade the more secular of death metal listeners from giving WBCC a chance to impress them.

Lyrics — 5
Vocally, front man Dean Atkinson impresses with his diverse array of shout-along choruses, high-pitched shrieks and booming grunts. Altogether, it makes for a conundrum of aggression, typical of the genre, while maintaining frenetic pace throughout much of the album. The lyrics themselves focus on the band members' allegiance to Christianity, addressing many themes of the New Testament, ranging from the Crucifixion to the apocalypse. Paramount to the ebb and flow of this album is the progression of the lyrical themes throughout, as it more or less replicates the chronology of the New Testament. On a downside, it transpires that the composition of the songs in question was obviously made easier by the fact that much of the lyrical content has been plagiarised, or rather, copied straight from the Bible. Whether or not one concurs with the lyrical message here, it cannot be disputed that it is portrayed in a less than original light.

Overall Impression — 6
With a Victory Records backed coast to coast tour in their midst, a loyal and dedicated fan base, and a message to which the band seems dedicated, things are on the up for With Blood Comes Cleansing. Though a far cry from early Christian Metal, such as Stryper, they're obviously similar in terms of their message, albeit with a more morose outlook on the themes that Christians tend to view in a more positive light. This, the band's first major label release, armed with the 'correct' marketing campaign could leave its mark on the underground.

78 comments sorted by best / new / date

    Covin
    I've heard their pretty good, gonna have to check 'em out.
    no_one_eno_on14
    Shread_6009 wrote: no what, "with blood comes cleansing" guess what it means, blood as in genetics (race, family, ethnicity) and cleansing. its a reference to ethinic cleansing. think about it. ya, real christian. im i the only one that realises it? AM I!!! fuk these so called christians.
    With blood comes cleansing is a reference to biblical theology. Christians believe Christ spilled his blood to clean their sins. With Christs blood comes purity, cleansing. Way to sound educated. and to everyon else, music is music get over your ego and grow a pair
    Mrsumo
    I met these guys a while back...DEAN IS SO COOL...he looks so big and strong but he is such a calm guy... I definately need to check out this album...i've been waiting for it. While WBCC may not be the best out there...but they are still AMAZING!
    LakeboDom
    EVANescence1500 wrote: Will.ftw wrote: Isn't Christian death metal like a porn star being anti-sex? Amen to that
    Isnt that like an evanescence fan actually knowing something about metal? BTW All the people crying about christian lyrics STFU. You act like you understand growling or would look up metal lyrics anyways and if you do...you would appreciate christian lyrics stoping the continuity of death and hell lyrics in metal. If it really bugs you that much you must have problems or were never hugged as a child. WBCC is pretty good saw em live also.
    lockless7x
    guitarphillip wrote: Im gonna laugh when all you God haters burn in hell
    thats not very christian...
    lockless7x
    party_on_wayne wrote: getting back on topic, that was a very well written review. on a side note, i was in a death metal band, and everyone but me was suddenly 'we are christ-core,' and the vocalist essentially used bible verses as lyrics. and halfalive383, the word you are looking for is fulfilled. full-filled is redundant, and only happens when you eat taco bell
    owned
    kidwithaguitar
    ok people stop getting mad at people you will never meet.. im agnostic prove to me there is a god ill believe it.. the band is good face it if your chrstian or not the band has good guitar and good drums just like every other non christian DM band... just cus they chose to sing about there beliefs shouldnt mean a thing dont like the lyrics dont listen to them ok now was that really that hard to understand
    Magero
    This entire comment box makes me lol so hard. 1. To anyone going on about "christian death metal?! LOLZAOJLAFF". So what? One's faith doesn't prevent you from listening or indeed writing music. It's not a freakin' physical handicap, it's just a belief. So go back to your satanic black metal and take your ignorance with you. 2. I'm not Christian in anyway, hell, I'm a LaVeyan satanist, and the way I see it, good music is good music. So these guys get a thumbs up from me. 3. I hate the use of "christian" in front of a genre just to justify it. Just cause a few of the songs have lyrics relating to the religion doesn't mean we have to add a freakin' prefix to the genre.
    Tackleberry
    People in india and china places like that have never even heard of heavy metal. As for christian lyrics, whatever they want to listen is fine as long as they dont mind what I listen to. But christian death metal seems contradictory you dont hear athiest hymns. I know there are plenty of stories in the bible that would make a good death metal song. But not in a prochristian format. I know its all about marketing and kids listen to death metal so make christian death metal. What do the records say if you play them backwards I wonder. Just cant picture kids pulling into the parking lot of a church with this album blasting on their stereo.
    shredmaztern00b
    hey, shread, I am pretty sure that their name is a reference to christs blood cleansing, not genocide. sorry to ruin your rant
    Spamwise
    Shread_6009 wrote: no what, "with blood comes cleansing" guess what it means, blood as in genetics (race, family, ethnicity) and cleansing. its a reference to ethinic cleansing. think about it. ya, real christian. im i the only one that realises it? AM I!!! fuk these so called christians.
    ...that has to be the dumbest thing i've ever read here. congratulations. good review
    jdhinds1234
    well if you add this
    impending doom is pretty awesome. I do like WBCC, not the best CD, but not the worst CD, repetitive though. If your a christian it ups the rating for this cd slighlty.
    Thats wat everyones talking about. putting christrian in front of anything makes christrians think that they are getting closer to god by buying this crap. have you ever seen any other religion try to tap into mainstream media to hock a book that a supernatural being that could turn water to wine but cant write his own book. Sheesh! im no religion buff but seriously christians stop ruining everything for everyone else. i like my metal w/out christian overtones, muslim overtones, or w/e the heck ur trin to sell me.
    Grasppp
    Pingis_Or_Death wrote: EVL/666 wrote: christian death metal? pff...what a joke Agreed...I don't really have anything against Christians but since I don't believe in a God, listening to Christian death metal would feel kinda odd for some reason. To me it just feels like an ad for Christianity...
    well in the same tense, arent bands that sing about gore just an ad for "brutality"? why does it matter what they sing about. thats not the point of death metal. the point of death metal is getting a point out regardless what the point is.
    Sirwinston89
    Okay, the only paradoxial genre is Christian Black Metal. And why cant Christians make music about they're faith? Satanists do it and sell millions. Just look at the Scandinavian metal scene. Also, in other parts of the world, there probably is metal with other religions in the lyrics. Like in India, they probably have some Hindi metal, or Sikh metal. Buddhist metal, I doubt however, lol.
    SL!!!
    samtberg wrote: Why do Christians always have to write music about Christianity? I like sausages and mash, but I'm not planning to set up a sausage-and-mash metal band anytime soon. If I did, however, my first album would be called 'Grill 'Em All'. It's follow up would be 'Ride The Lincolnshire'...
    They don't all do that. It is kind of the nature of the beast though for some, i mean if you believe it you want to write about it. Same for people with political opinions etc. People need to get off each other's back and stop thinking that a genre defines the music, it describes it, and really you can make music however the hell you please, and if you write about Christ but it sounds like death metal, it's death metal. And Tackleberry, China and India don't consist of poor peasants who don't have the internet or tv and have never even heard of heavy metal. They have. Trust me.
    ducata
    I personally like Golgotha better than this album, but Horror still blasts my face off. I love the high scream in this album. It is the highest I've ever heard. Generally, metal is created just to have noise in your head, so it gets a 10 in that catagory. About them being Christian; in concert, they announced they were Christian, and we still beat the heck out of each other in the pit. Death metal is still death metal, Christian or not.
    powermetalist
    I really love this band. It is true they have a sound like alot of other deathcore bands have. But if you like deathcore then this is a decent album. Those who dont care about lyrics may find this band fairly plain. However, those (including me) who want a band with meaningful lyrics, this makes this band pretty awesome and more enjoyable then just listening to the instruments. The return of the former vocalist is awesome!!! Love the high pitched vocals. I could do without the hardcore shouts though. It is brutal and intense. I met these guys too and they are really cool guys. Short but great album, check it out! Those who say Christianity doesnt belong in metal because it is Christian, that is ignorant. If you say its because they cant produce anything good, thats because they are a minority in metal (more bands=more likely to have more good records). There are more crappy black metal bands than crap Christian metal bands. Metal is about heavy, hard, energy driven music, if a christian band has that, what is the problem? Last I checked, Christianity focuses on the sacrificial death of a man who's blood cleansed the sins of his followers and about the life long war with demons and satan. If those are not good lyrics for death metal, then I dont know what is.
    favrefan30
    CD is terribly boring. Couple ok songs, tons of repetetive deathcore riffs and generic breakdowns. Also, I'm a Christian and I probably own more Satanic death metal albums than times I've been to church. Honestly the lyrics about prasing Satan don't bother me, its funny why they can't stand bands who praise god... even if the band plays quality music, which this band does not.
    Myxer
    Thia argument makes no sense and frankly it makes no difference Metal is not Christian. You define it as Christian because of the lyrics. I listen to what I think is good music and is positive so to speak. No one is trying to convert you get over yourself. music is music...i don't feel like typing anymore
    justinb904
    Tackleberry wrote: Just cant picture kids pulling into the parking lot of a church with this album blasting on their stereo.
    well it wasn't on sunday morning but we've drove up several times for youth listening to stuff like As I lay Dying and Living Sacrifice of course this is at a church that allows moshing at the youth christmas party(Kaliyl was playing some shread heavy hard rock stuff they wrote)
    !normajean!
    btw, this album deserves a 10. a 6 is just pathetic. his vocals have improved tremendously too.
    B_Rad777
    DrewH wrote: Fvck christianity. Christian death metal? That's almost as ridiculous as the religion itself. I would buy the cd just to take a sh!t on it, if the band didnt make any money off of it. Although, i'm sure you can pickup a free one at your local wednesday night youth (insert hip new-age word for party to convince highschool kids it's cool). Let metal be metal and quit trying to spread your propaganda through one of the only things that hasn't been affected by your fvcking plague.
    Why should a band have to conform to what your idea of what metal should be? Is it ok for an writer who supports anarchy to write a song conveying their beliefs? If so why should they be allowed to write about theirs but Christians who are equally passionate about their beliefs not? (Is it only because YOU disagree with these beliefs?). I doubt I would get much of a positive response if I commented on an arch enemy blog stating that they are a little too preachy on the whole rebellion thing or commented on a straight-edge-vegan band's lyrics telling them to lay off the whole animal-rights thing...
    !normajean!
    jdhinds1234 wrote: well if you add thisimpending doom is pretty awesome. I do like WBCC, not the best CD, but not the worst CD, repetitive though. If your a christian it ups the rating for this cd slighlty. Thats wat everyones talking about. putting christrian in front of anything makes christrians think that they are getting closer to god by buying this crap. have you ever seen any other religion try to tap into mainstream media to hock a book that a supernatural being that could turn water to wine but cant write his own book. Sheesh! im no religion buff but seriously christians stop ruining everything for everyone else. i like my metal w/out christian overtones, muslim overtones, or w/e the heck ur trin to sell me.
    Christians like Christian music. we're not gonna go out and buy a satanic cd. get over it.
    !normajean!
    samtberg wrote: lol - look at the riot I started! And there was me expecting to come back and have one or two gnarly comments. Who can I upset next? Anyone know a pro-life metal band?
    uhh...all the Christian ones?
    rockforjesus703
    I was so shocked by the brutality of this album. It's much, much heavier than Golgotha. But I like it! WBCC is awesome!
    SL!!!
    chea_man wrote: Pingis_Or_Death wrote: EVL/666 wrote: christian death metal? pff...what a joke Agreed...I don't really have anything against Christians but since I don't believe in a God, listening to Christian death metal would feel kinda odd for some reason. To me it just feels like an ad for Christianity... most people dont beleive in dragons and stuff, but the listen to power metal.
    Win. Also the guy i quoted about the Grill 'em All that was pretty funny.
    !normajean!
    EVL/666 wrote: christian death metal? pff...what a joke
    closed-minded much? this album is brutal. the lyrics are brutal. and the fact that they're a Christian band is awesome. not all Christians listen to gospel and soft worship music. some of us like heavier music. and if you dont like it...well...i dont care. if the music is good, then listen to it. stop wining about them just cause they love Jesus.
    samtberg
    lol - look at the riot I started! And there was me expecting to come back and have one or two gnarly comments. Who can I upset next? Anyone know a pro-life metal band?
    ss311
    It's paradoxical because the band members obviously listened to Satanic Death Metal, so Satanist bands have influenced the musical style, even though the lyrics are of a different content. The fact is that a practising Christian shouldn't listen to Satanic Death Metal because it can be viewed as being with the 'ungodly'. Therefore, it is strange that Christians would like Satanic bands and the message associated with them. It's not rocket science.
    Nightstrider
    Great, a theological debate about Christian deathcore.
    The black metal scene is all about religious intolerance,and the members tend to be rather reactionary. How's that for a blanket generalisation? It's a stupid, childish argument that doesn't go anywhere. People griping about another person's beliefs as if they're being foisted on them.
    Actually, one of the reasons the Scandanavian scene exploded with anti-religious, or satanic black metal bands was because Christianity is so widespread there. So actually, it was because the musicians felt that other's beliefs were being foisted on them. Although I get what you mean.
    pigmuff
    Satanism doesn't tiff any metal heads off. Why is that? A Christian band writes about Christianity and suddenly people are in an uproar. How many metal bands do you think have Christian members that don't sing about it? Probably more than a lot of you would like to believe. Not every Christian is a self-righteous SoB. They don't all try to convert everyone and tell other people they're going to hell. That's a pathetic generalisation of the way people behaved over a hundred years ago. Some people like that still exist, but they're in the minority (albeit a rather vocal minority). The black metal scene is all about religious intolerance,and the members tend to be rather reactionary. How's that for a blanket generalisation? It's a stupid, childish argument that doesn't go anywhere. People griping about another person's beliefs as if they're being foisted on them. Don't buy the album! It's very metal to think for yourself. It isn't very metal to reject an idea just because your musical idols do. "Nobody tells me what to believe, right Shagrath?". That's like the anti-metal. That's like the pop crowd following a stupid trend, but instead doing the contrary because you can't think of anything else to do.
    jonathanonfire
    Sirwinston89 wrote: Okay, the only paradoxial genre is Christian Black Metal. And why cant Christians make music about they're faith? Satanists do it and sell millions. Just look at the Scandinavian metal scene. Also, in other parts of the world, there probably is metal with other religions in the lyrics. Like in India, they probably have some Hindi metal, or Sikh metal. Buddhist metal, I doubt however, lol.
    damn straight.
    jonathanonfire
    this is very repetitive. as a christian, it's refreshing to listen to heavy music that has a spiritual message... like august burns red and (early) norma jean. although i commmend WBCC for their message.. the music is pretty generic. i had high hopes for this album.
    Shread_6009
    no what, "with blood comes cleansing" guess what it means, blood as in genetics (race, family, ethnicity) and cleansing. its a reference to ethinic cleansing. think about it. ya, real christian. im i the only one that realises it? AM I!!! fuk these so called christians.
    burn the stars
    damn i wish there were an edit button... does secular death metal exploit satanism? zombies? aliens? horror films? cause if it does... were now stuck with writing about things on the discovery channel. loosen up, be open minded, its not like 95% of you can understand the lyrics anyway.
    ShoTown
    samtberg wrote: Why do Christians always have to write music about Christianity? I like sausages and mash, but I'm not planning to set up a sausage-and-mash metal band anytime soon. If I did, however, my first album would be called 'Grill 'Em All'. It's follow up would be 'Ride The Lincolnshire'...
    . . . Because that's what defines them as a 'Christian' band. Dave Mustain is a born agian Christian but he doesn't make 'Christian' metal nor does he write music about Christianity. If they want to write songs about their religion them let them, it's no worse a subject to write a song on than anything else. Also I really don't think Christian death metal is paradoxical at all. Death metal is a sound, not a theme. The majority of death metal has philosophical basing in the lyrics so why write these guys off just because they've got a different point of view.
    Noverion
    ShoTown wrote: samtberg wrote: Why do Christians always have to write music about Christianity? I like sausages and mash, but I'm not planning to set up a sausage-and-mash metal band anytime soon. If I did, however, my first album would be called 'Grill 'Em All'. It's follow up would be 'Ride The Lincolnshire'... . . . Because that's what defines them as a 'Christian' band. Dave Mustain is a born agian Christian but he doesn't make 'Christian' metal nor does he write music about Christianity. If they want to write songs about their religion them let them, it's no worse a subject to write a song on than anything else. Also I really don't think Christian death metal is paradoxical at all. Death metal is a sound, not a theme. The majority of death metal has philosophical basing in the lyrics so why write these guys off just because they've got a different point of view.
    Some of daves lyrics definately have some christian influnece on them, the most notable of which is Never Walk Alone from their new album. Washington is next has some christian themes as well, but you wont notice if it if your not a christian i doubt, and i like that means people dont have to hear it if they dont want to, i personally love it Must check these guys out, i wann astart a christian black metal band :/, not sure how that will turn out
    powermetalist
    impending doom is pretty awesome. I do like WBCC, not the best CD, but not the worst CD, repetitive though. If your a christian it ups the rating for this cd slighlty.
    xguffx
    Personally i don't think there is anything wrong with christian death metal when most people hear that they're like wtf and turned off by it. I really don't like with blood comes cleansing but check out impending doom they're christian death metal and pretty damn good.
    wurzel1981
    samtberg wrote: Why do Christians always have to write music about Christianity? I like sausages and mash, but I'm not planning to set up a sausage-and-mash metal band anytime soon. If I did, however, my first album would be called 'Grill 'Em All'. It's follow up would be 'Ride The Lincolnshire'...
    and i'll produce you're third album, peace sells...but who's frying?
    Amuro Jay
    samtberg wrote: Why do Christians always have to write music about Christianity? I like sausages and mash, but I'm not planning to set up a sausage-and-mash metal band anytime soon. If I did, however, my first album would be called 'Grill 'Em All'. It's follow up would be 'Ride The Lincolnshire'...
    thats epic
    IcePh0enix
    I'm a Christian and my Youth Group leader is actually related to someone in this band, I think it was his nephew. I'm all for writing lyrics about Christianity or other religions so I see nothing wrong in Christian Death Metal. I'm listening to them right now on Myspace, they're not bad.