Invade review by Within the Ruins

• Released: Aug 31, 2010
Within the Ruins: Invade

Within The Ruins is a truly unique band. Their metalcore roots are easily disguised with excellent guitar work. On their last album, "Creature", this was also very apparent, but on "Invade" they have really stepped it up a notch. Complex harmonies and intricate solos are found throughout the album, leaving any guitar player satisfied with their shred. The riffs and breakdowns flow flawlessly, creating a listening experience that anyone can appreciate. Within The Ruins are not recreating their genre, although they are up there with the best of the best, setting a fantastic example of what others should be working towards. The two instrumental tracks on the album are technical, heavy, and really unique, you don't hear guitar work like this too often, and the drummer has made significant improvements since the first record.

They also have a new tool in their arsenal, vocalist Tim Goergen. He adds a really good feel to the album, making it sound extremely powerfull and emotional. On "Creature" lack of vocal range and honestly just poor vocals in general really made what could have been an amazing album simply "OK". Tim's lyrics are also a step up from the previous album, while keeping somewhat of a "do what you believe in" and "God isn't real" vibe, which makes the entire album sound a lot heavier. There are a lot of powerfull lyrics in this album and Tim's range is a good fit for this band (extremely good mids/lows, and when the highs show up they aren't too shabby either) and you can understand what he's saying most of the time which is a plus

This band can't really compare to very many other artists, their low tuned G# guitars hit you hard, while the melody cuts through you like an axe...a very pissed off and angry axe. If I had to compare them to any other artist, it would be Veil of Maya, not because they sound similar, but because they really have created their own genre in itself. Some of the more powerful songs on the album are "Red Flagged", "Behold The Harlot", "Crossbuster", "Invade", and "Feast or Famine". I would suggest this album to moshers and metalheads alike, as it really has something that everyone is sure to like. If this record were stolen or lost, I would probably find the nearest vehicle I could commendere, and get myself a new one ASAP.

Amuro Jay
    I really like some of this band's music, but this album does not deserve a 9.7. It's not a stellar release, it's more along the lines of average. Every song sounds so similar and the lyrics are some of the worst i've heard.
    krvolok
    synestershadows wrote: I hope you're not judging a band by their name...
    No.They have just enough melodeath to be listenable from time to time.They remind me of a local band I hate but as I said it's listenable,but barely.
    Ibanezrocker800
    in my opinion this album is nearly perfect and should be in the runnings for album of the year in every metalhead's collection. guitar work is stellar, drums slay, and the new vocals sound great. there isn't another band out there that does what this band does as good as them.
    synestershadows
    Amuro Jay
    synestershadows wrote: best album of the year is Exoplanet. Nuff said. This album is good, but can't compete with Exoplanet.
    Best -core album, at any rate. I can't tell if I enjoyed that or Monolith more.
    ATSbass
    I've toured with these guys, and while the style isn't my favorite, these guys are amazingly talented and play extremely tight with great energy every night. Joe is a very unique and talented guitar player. One of my favorite things about this band is that even though they play in drop G# (maybe G?...) they don't rely on it constantly like other bands of the same style. They use the low chugs sparingly, making it feel that much heavier. These guys definitely deserve more and I wish them the best. Super nice dudes too.