Genesi[s] review by Woe, Is Me

• Released: Nov 20, 2012
  • Reviewer's score: 4.7 Poor
Woe, Is Me: Genesi[s]

Back in 2009, Woe, Is Me's (WIM) debut album, "Number[s]", was fairly well received by critics, mostly due to the groundbreaking, soulful vocals by clean vocalist Tyler Carter. The general consensus of the album was that it was good, but that the band needed experience playing together to fix a few discrepancies. Fast forward three years and WIM has managed to rotate through four different member lineups, including the departure of dual vocalists Tyler Carter and Michael Bohn. The past few years have been rough for WIM, but somehow they've managed to survive long enough to create a second album, "Genesi[s]". Expectations were high for "Genesi[s]" and many fans considered it to be the "make-or-break" album of the band's career. Sadly, "Genesi[s]" failed to meet the expectations of many fans. "Genesi[s]" is best described as the soundtrack to the band's life over the past year or so; which has not been an easy one. It starts out with a worthless, 30 second intro consisting of silly machine noises, which quickly lead into the down-tuned, overproduced breakdown festival that is "F.Y.I." The manic aggression displayed in "F.Y.I." sets the tone for the rest of the album; however this aggression becomes boring after the first three songs. This is mainly because it sounds as if the same breakdown is being used over and over again, a common flaw with mediocre metalcore bands. The next song "A Story To Tell" starts out with the generic "transformer-like noise" that shows up way too many times throughout the album, then quickly transitions into a pop-punk/easy-core type breakdown. The riff used in this breakdown conveys an out-of-place sense of upbeat positivity. A quick, generic-metalcore changeup ensues, which defines the basic formula for the rest of the album. However, that small dose of pop punk shows up once more on the album during the song "Nothing Left To Lose" when WIM attempt to create a sing-song, "whoa oh whoa" gang vocals- type chorus which fails dreadfully due to how out of place it sounds compared to the rest of the song. Obviously, WIM are attempting to win over some of the easy-core fan base with these elements, nevertheless, it sounds ridiculous and unnecessary. The first few tracks of the album also feel rushed; a reoccurring problem throughout most of "Genesi[s]". Each song is filled with multiple layers of superfluous electronic noise; a major flaw of their previous album and one that I had hoped they would fix for "Genesi[s]". However, according to WIM, you can never have enough overproduced garbage floating around your "make-or-break" sophomore effort. It's not just the electronics that make this album unbearable at some points; it's the production as a whole. I honestly don't know what producer Cameron Mizell was thinking when he was working on "Genesi[s]". The guitars sound like guitar samples found on a children's keyboard, the drums are triggered and phony-sounding, and the album as a whole sounds like it was pieced together in just a few hours. Obviously, this isn't all Cameron's fault. The band had barely been a band before they entered the studio, which made the whole writing process difficult. Cameron then had to desperately stitch together all of the members' ideas, which resulted in the manufactured and overly crowded juggernaut that is "Genesi[s]".

The lyrics on "Genesi[s]" also happen to be generic and clich. Since the drama filled departure of former vocalists Tyler Carter and Michael Bohn, and the creation of their new band "Issues", the two bands have been battling back and forth via the internet, live shows, and now their lyrics, all in an attempt to show who the "real musicians" are. It seems that every single song on "Genesi[s]" is somehow related to the bashing of "Issues". This could have been a fairly interesting topic to base an album around; however it doesn't work out that way. The lyrics seem uninspired, uncreative, and generic. Not a single lyric out of all eleven songs on the album matches the creativity and swagger found on "Issues'" single "King Of Amarillo". At this point, it's apparent that WIM are losing the war against "Issues", the band that got the better half of the original WIM lineup anyways! The vocals on "Genesi[s]" are nothing special either. The new unclean vocalist Doriano Magliano is the former vocalist for the late Rise Records catastrophe, That's Outrageous. Doriano's growls are past their prime and he sounds like he's struggling to not blow his vocal cords at the end of each song. Clean vocalist Hance Alligood actually happens to be a fairly talented, though the majority of his appearances are uninspiring. Most of the songs on "Genesi[s]" would be better off without clean vocals, which makes Hance sound worse than he actually is. The moments when Hance really shines are found on the last two songs of the album, neither of which have unclean vocals in them. One is an acoustic version of "Nothing Left To Lose", and one features Memphis May Fire vocalist, Matty Mullins. These two songs are the best on the entire album and I would've loved to hear more of Hance's voice without the clutter of the rest of the band. Altogether, the lyrics and vocals on "Genesi[s]" are a huge step backwards from "Number[s]". Still, the clean vocals are nothing to sneeze at when they're used properly.

When it comes down to it, "Genesi[s]" just wasn't planned, produced, or handled well at all. The music itself is clich and overdone. I suppose if more thought was put into "Genesi[s]" WIM would've taken more time to write the music, Cameron would've taken more time to produce the music, and Rise Records would've taken more time in deciding when to release the album. In my opinion, if this same album was released back in April or May, I think metalcore fans, including myself, would've cut WIM some slack. However, after hearing some fantastic releases by Memphis May Fire, For All Those Sleeping, Motionless In White, and many others prior to "Genesi[s]", it makes "Genesi[s]" sound even worse than it actually is. Hopefully, if WIM are still a band two years down the road, they can create something more creative and original than "Genesi[s]", preferably utilizing more of Hance's vocals and less of the worthless production tricks.

EpiExplorer
    I have a lot ofr friends who'll listen to nothing but purely trashy metalcore, deathcore and dubstep, and even they say this band is awful.
    Metallidethium
    Epi is in the right here. I love metalcore and deathcore (dubstep can burn in hell) but this CD was garbage.
    GazzaCee
    I've just listened to those two songs. Those lyrics make me cringe, they sound like something I'd have written aged 13. The music is generic and everything sounds over produced. The clean vocalist would do well with a better band. In fact, the clean vocalist is the only good thing I can find about this band. And the name? Jesus Christ.
    The Spoon
    I love the synopsis on the front page "Woe, Is Me somehow managed to survive long enough to create a second album." Hahaha.
    N-D
    I think it would be better to change the band's name, if 4 original members (both vocalists, lead guitarist and bassist) left it...
    ruker
    I could careless about this band, but I do love seeing people's reactions when I show them the Katy Perry covers.
    SGofawesome
    I've never listened to this band until now, but I love how in the lyrics of "I Told You Once" it says "Our difference is that I don't use my past to make me feel relevant". Ironic, seeing as how they're essentially a new band riding the coattails of their first lineup. Trashy band. Admire their persistence to make a comeback, but failed bad. Nice try, though.
    vppark2
    Shitty try. Dunno how they themselves did not find this to be generic, as well as anyone who actually likes this album.
    iommi600
    Umm, chugging a ridiculously downtuned guitar (a.k.a. binary riffing) to a bore and alternating between Cookie Monster vocals and Britney Spears vocals? I think I saw one of those bands once.
    Sam Rulez D00d
    Absolutely awful. Saw these guys live when they played with The Color Morale. They used so many backing tracks and live auto-tune, it was ridiculous. They single-handedly turned new metalcore into pop. On another note, I find myself listening to older and older music now since all these new bands are garbage. Even if you like this style of music, Woe is Me are the worst at it.
    vppark2
    I feed bad man. The only relatively ok fairly new metalcore band nowadays in my mind vis Texas In July. I think Memphis May Fire is good too, but it looks like theyre falling apart, I mean ****ing Matty from the band is featured on one of WiM's songs on this album, needless to say he also worked with Danny from Asking Alexandria on one of their songs off their new album.
    eyes*
    Sam Rulez D00d
    Yeah I know, Memphis May Fire are definitely one of the trendy bands now but I don't really mind them. I saw them at warped and they actually played well and didn't use backing tracks. But most of the only new metalcore bands I listen to now are from Solid State Records and that kinda stuff.
    vppark2
    Yea, theyre a good label. Epitaph is one of my favorites as well, having some of the greatest punk bands on their label (Bad Religion, Pennywise, Social Distortion) and Hopeless is good for some other bands, preferably pop-punk but Silverstein and Yellowcard are my go to's to their label. Other than that, I see Rise and Fearless for the most part signing these clone metalcore and pop-punk bands that bring nothing new. Only thing i may get shot for saying that Of Mice & Men is actually one of my favorite bands though.
    sonicx2218
    This may be called metalcore...but it's not anywhere near Killswitch, Trivium or As I Lay Dying...Honestly I don't think those bands are even really metalcore anymore, but I'm not the genre god...I just listen to everything metal...except this...The clean vocals are pretty good if not processed to hell. Hope he joins a better band haha.
    BwareDWare94
    Did I really just hear "It must be hard to talk shit with a dick in your throat?" in a song? Well, gee, isn't that homophobia at its finest. Their singer sounds like Safetysuit's vocalist, though, which isn't a bad thing. Dude's just in a horribly band.
    fallen881
    Since their first album they had big shoes to fill. I was more or less wondering why they didn't kick out the one member. I stopped following them, but the (bassist or drummer) and carry on? Won't really effect the band at all musically wise and their original lineup was already a party(7 people). More and more talented bands with their own sound amongst the metalcore genre which is kinda hard now coming out with overproduced super in your face music followed with many generic added synth/robot background noise. Not sure if they realize its generic garbage. I can't find 1 reason to listen to that album besides matty mullins. hes a boss.
    LightxGrenade
    I listened to the Issues EP "Black Diamonds" on spotify and I gotta tell you, it's really not that much better. The lyrics are overly convoluted, like 16 yr old with a thesaurus wrote them. And there's absolutely nothing worth noting guitar-wise. Both bands kinda missed the mark if you ask me. Whether it was a rushed effort to capitalize on their "beef" or both bands really just aren't good to begin with is debatable. All I can say is despite great clean vocals I would consider both bands to be sub-par.
    NightBladeXx
    This is what the "scene" has come to. Garbage lyrics, basic instrumentation (even 'basic' might give it too much credit) and the same production/mixing techniques on every. single. album. The only thing good about WIM or Issues was Tyler, which isn't enough to make a band. Stick with the old stuff (Underoath, Every Time I Die, Norma Jean, etc.) or bands from labels like Sumerian, Mediaskare, etc. Obviously they have their money bands (Asking Alexandria on Sumerian), but the majority of their bands aren't your average *chug-chug-"****"-chug-"you"-chug* cluster**** of pretty boys wearing black holding $3000 guitars and only playing the top string.
    goingnowhere21
    Yeah, it's slowly being played out. It was kind of exciting at one point, but it's getting more dull. Give it a few years and the entire genre will just be exhausted.
    vppark2
    Dude i reviewed this album and gave it a flatout 1. Lets see when UG will publish it.
    vppark2
    Btw their debut album was released in 2010, and also Memphis May Fire was by far one of the few good metalcore bands this yr, but also u cannot deny that Every Time I Die, Parkway Drive, and Converge took over this yr for that genre.
    jkubed
    Don't like either band, but Issues lost this "battle" imo when they put the word "swag" in their song.
    EpiExplorer
    Wait, there's a band called Issues? How unoriginal are these bands that any old plural constitutes a meaningful band name...
    Sam Rulez D00d
    The whole Issues vs Woe is Me thing is pretty much just Team Edward vs Team Jacob with a double bass pedal.
    vppark2
    Epi, its all of the old WiM members, besides, obv Austin, who's the drummer for this band. Anyways, heres the link to the Issues single:
    . PS: Both bands are on Rise, so just though this would get some laughs.
    fas789
    as Adam implied I'm shocked that you able to earn $7328 in one month on the internet. did you look at this page Cloud68dotcom
    Mayhem622
    Meh I like them. Saw them live at warped tour when tyler and mike were still in thr band, and they sounded excellent.
    goingnowhere21
    I liked Delinquents when they released it back then, it was a halfway decent song. But this... I don't mean to jump on the bandwagon just to agree with everyone, but this band is way downhill now. I just don't understand how, while listening to these songs after they were recorded, they said "Yeah, let's release this, the fans will love it." Disappointing.
    BassKid101
    I just think WIM needs to call it quits. They're just a bunch of guys from everywhere clinging on to life now. Losing Tyler in the beginning was a big blow, but they still somewhat stayed together. Should've ended it once Michael and the Ferris brothers left though. IMO Issues is pretty great, while taking into account it's nothing complex and just your standard metalcore band, but they're still enjoyable to listen to, hell of a lot more than WIM is now. But I will always love Number[s] and Fame > Demise, great stuff.
    ninjagayden777
    Hance deserves better than to be associated with this "album." The guest vocals and hance's parts are the only reasons I could even consider listening to this in the future
    Mayhem622
    The easy response is if your a fan, like me you will enjoy it. While I do think the band would benefit from a better screamer then Doriano and more Hance in the mix. Also add a touch more technical guitar work, they are certainly capable. And yes while the lyrics aren't the most thought provoking (dry) it still has that personal straight from the heart feel. And besides most bands In this genre aren't known for steller lyrics.
    My Last Words
    "it still has that personal straight from the heart feel" That's a very odd remark. To me, it sounds like it comes straight from the rectum.
    PirateHogan
    I completely agree with Mayhem. I thought their first album was great! While I have yet to listen to this album, I am kind of excited to hear it. And yes, the lyrics are very... immature, but who knows, it might work well.