Number[s] review by Woe, Is Me

• Released: Aug 31, 2010
Woe, Is Me: Number[s]

The debut album by Woe, Is Me, entitled Number[s], can almost be considered as the post-hardcore/experimental anthem of 2010. Woe, Is Me blasted themselves into the giant post-hardcore scene with their explosive cover of "Tik Tok" (originally by Ke$ha) which featured great clean vocals as well as harsh vocals that would make any metalcore frontman green with envy. On this record, Woe, Is Me showcase a fair amount of synths and keyboard lines, which are sometimes combined with their crazy breakdowns. Don't misunderstand me, they are no Attack Attack! Their sound isn't something amazingly new or fresh, but it's quite hard to explain. If A Day To Remember and Attack Attack! got it on and made babies, Woe, Is Me would be the result. The overall production and atmosphere of Number[s] is great and add a little Jonny Craig to that mix (yes, he does guest vocals) and you get a hell of an entertaining album!

The lyrics aren't overly joyful. In fact, they're rather dark lyrics. For some songs, the lyrics they've chosen seem very ambiguous, which allows the listener to attach their own meaning to the song. The lyrics always seem to fit the dark atmosphere that Woe, Is Me are trying to push forward. Take this section from the song [&] Delinquents, for example:

I was the king, of kings, I stand for one rule, and one rule for myself, as a man.
I will fall and as my son you've watched it all.

The lyrics they write are fairly deep, considering this band has been pitted in the metalcore/hardcore scene which often features constantly bland lyrics about death, dying and the dead.

The vocals are outstanding on Number[s]. The clean vocals are indeed high-pitched, but not the kind of high-pitched that makes you want to grit your teeth while listening. They're soft and as crazy as it sounds almost calming vocals and if you check out their live videos, the clean vocals are basically spot-on, which is always a good thing. The screams and growls have the ability, as I said previously, to make any metalcore frontman jealous. The transitions from clean to dirty vocals are almost flawless on almost every song.

In all honesty, this is nothing new. Every now and then you have a band like this that somehow, one way or another outshines all the rest, even though they're all doing the same thing. However, it does not take away from the fact that this is an entertaining record. The most impressive songs would have to be [&] Delinquents', Hell, Or High Water', I' and Desolate [The Conductor] (Ft. Jonny Craig)'. If it was lost or stolen, I'd definitely get myself another copy. If you're a lover of some good post-hardcore, metalcore or even hardcore, you can't go wrong with having a listen to this record as it has everything, from calming breaks to intense breakdowns. Dig in!

r0ckth3d34n
    C O B H C wrote: crazysam23_Atax wrote: If A Day To Remember and Attack Attack! got it on and made babies, Woe, Is Me would be the result.I stopped reading here. Both these bands are shit. I don't want to hear a band that sounds like a combo of the two. +1.
    +1 to ignorance. The review really had no idea what he was saying when he said this band is like AA! and ADTR, much more like Emarosa meets Asking Alexandria.
    [[It's Alex]]
    I really did love this album and I listen to it a lot. And if you know me, you know that I generally don't like anything metalcore, but this album was a pleasant surprise.
    DudeI'mOnAlesse
    elleild
    If they sound anything like Attack Attack or Asking Alexandria ill pass.
    Nickyshane
    Woe is me is actually pretty legit, i wouldn't compare them to Attack Attack though, that's like saying prada sounds like rush because they both have keyboards.
    lethaldosage45
    C O B H C
    +1.
    ZombieBassist
    they arent that bad. Not my cup of tea, but the production value of the CD is really good.
    r0ckth3d34n
    I saw them live and met most of them. They're all super awesome guys and played a sick show. This CD is really awesome, but 28 minutes is rather short.
    crazysam23_Atax
    FirstMateJepeto
    DudeI'mOnAlesse wrote: lethaldosage45 wrote: I saw these guys with Abandon All Ships. They were alright... trying to sell their CD for 5 bucks a pop after their set made them seem kinda desperate though. One thing I do like about them is that they don't rely on auto-tune. It's nice to hear vocals that aren't digitized. gotta sell cd's to make some money and get on bigger tours my friend, I usually try to buy all my cd's at shows anyway, cuz 5 bucks is a great deal
    Not only its a good deal, all 5$ goes to the band. When you buy a cd at the record store the band only gets like a fraction of a dollar
    lethaldosage45
    Yeah, for sure! For some reason, everyone took off after Structures, and then came back for AAS. When these guys went on, no one stayed. Maybe that was just this show? But, I think the fact that they are American on an all Canadian tour might have had something to do with it. I don't have anything against them, but the crowd seemed to. They did put on a good show.
    LightxGrenade
    Macabre Lullaby wrote: That's funny that Jonny does guest vocals, because the first time I heard them I thought their clean vocalist sounded a lot like him. I saw them with AAS too, it was a pretty good time.
    I thought the exact same thing, then again Jonny does guest vocals on anything under the sun these days haha. Decent album, the vocals are the highlight of this band for sure, which is nice but there's nothing really interesting going on with the guitar work. But an ok album overall
    Macabre Lullaby