Kingdom Of Might review by Woe of Tyrants

• Released: Jan 6, 2009
Woe of Tyrants: Kingdom Of Might

The late 90's and early 00's weren't the best times for fans of shred guitar. After it's mid to late 80's heyday the style took a serious hit once bands like Pantera (more about groove than showy solos) and Soundgarden permeated the mainstream, many fast-pickers abandoned the shred. It was harder to find young, over-the-top players sprouting up like they did years back. You'd be hard pressed to discover a new Jason Becker or Paul Gilbert around 1996. Luckily for shred enthusiasts the last few years has found the style come back with a furor. Check out Willie Adler (Lamb of God), Dario Lorina, Muhammed Suicmez (Necrophagist), and Herman Li (Dragonforce) if you don't believe us. Enter Woe of Tyrants. The young Ohio outfit is all about the turbo guitar runs and their new record is packed to the rafters with them! It seems like around every corner there's one of the two six-stringers going for the throat at maximum speed. Nick Dozer and Matt Kincaid have obviously done their homework. Not only do they expertly navigate around the fretboard with fluid ease, they still manage to make many of the solos and quick counter-melodies extremely catchy. That's a rare feat these days.

Chris Catanzaro possesses the kind of voice that is needed to pierce through the walls of guitars and thunderous drums a band like Woe of Tyrants lays down. He's got more of a shriek than the lower, gruff style many of their counterparts go with. It's something of a miracle that the constant screeching doesn't wreak havoc on his vocal cords to the point of destruction. On Like Jasper and Carnelian he comes off more like a rabid hyena than he does human. Seriously, the guy pushes his vocals through with so much pointed disdain you wonder if he's going to be able to pull the stuff off in a live setting. The busy arrangements don't seem to hamper Catanzaro's vocal performances. Instead the vocalist comes up with an endless series of choppy cadences more than suitable for the material. He's got a firm grip on the choppy rhythms and even the more technical sections on the record don't weaken his assault. The one setback would be his anxiousness. Some of the passages could have been a bit more interesting if the singer pulled back the reigns a bit and let the parts breathe.

Most of Kingdom of Might sounds like a young band trying to prove a point. The intensity, relentlessness, and chaotic nature of it proves WOT were out for blood. The difference between them and other newer acts in this position is their veteran-like musicianship. Yes, they need to hold back a lot more on future releases but that will come with more experience. This album has to be celebrated for what it is; a shred party seen through the musical scope of a death-metal band. Dozer and Kincaid hold the keys to the kingdom (pun not intended) here and song after song is a testament to their prowess. Tracks like Sounding Jerusalem and Break the Fangs of the Wicked find the guitarists playing in a style that has more in common with the aforementioned golden days of shred-guitar than they do with anything else. Joey Sturgis' (The Devil Wears Prada, Gwen Stacy) production style is a little too modern for my taste. It would have been nice to hear a lot more bottom end but unfortunately this is how most heavy records sound nowadays. All in all, Woe of Tyrants has given us a tasty slab of shred that will surely appeal to the speed freaks reading this. Let's hope the guys in the band can do a guitar lesson for the UG community soon. It would be fantastic to check out Dozer and Kincaid isolated in action.

beau05
    Dozerdwarf wrote: The comments here are pretty funny when you've been in the band they're being written about!
    sounds like we ALMOST have someone to go in the 'Are there any famous musicians/bands on UG?' thread perhaps not famous, but signed at least
    100proofgospel
    All I can say is these guy's ****ing throw-it-down! "Kingdom of Might" is awesome. I have it and the whole album is great. ALL KILLER, NO FILLER! I'm not just sayin that because some of the members in WOT are actually my friends. For all of these guys being basically 21 (Matt-19) they have their shit down. They have came along way musically and they deserve they recognition that they have gotten from MetalBlade, Tribunal and all the killer bands they tour with! Has anyone even mentioned the drumming?!?! Johnny is B.A.! Phenominal drummer! And Chris is a KILLER front-man. I was at their home-town CD release show in Chillicothe, OH and they owned it!! Can't speak for them when they are out on tour, but they have came along way from where they once were. They put in alot of WORK!! I have seen all of the members of WOT evolve into the musicians they have become. Even before WOT even existed. And for not being able to play their material live...thats b-s. I've spent countless DAYS with Matt while he is just practicing and practicing and practicing! All you nay-sayers talk this blasphomy cause appearntly you or you band hasn't amounted to shit. And will continue to do nothing...so you sit around on the internet and slander a band which you in all actuality envy. -Thats all I have to say 'bout that.- To my friend's in WOT, who are probibly readin this. Much love, respect, and blessings!! To everyone who has yet to hear Woe of Tyrants..BRACE YOURSELF!!! and TELL YOUR FRIENDS!!!
    Diablo1986
    holy s***! i thought these guys were small time when i saw them in a little ohio town. There were me maybe twenty people there watching them in this little building (and i'd say five of them were my friends). but i will admit they tore up shop with their stuff. pretty cool to see 'em get some publicity...
    Gmurcielago14
    Phe4rTheGod wrote: Ok...let me correct some mistakes there... 1. Dimebag is one of the greatest shredders of all time...have you ever listened to Pantera? 2. Willie doesn't shred, he riffs...Mark Morton is the madman behind all the crazy solos... Back to topic though: I'll def. check these guys out...
    Dimebag is dead, get over it.
    Gmurcielago14
    Amen.
    Dozerdwarf
    Phe4rTheGod
    Gmurcielago14 wrote: Dimebag is dead, get over it.
    What's that got to do with him being a shredder? You obviously missed the point as well...just quit posting if you don't know what you're posting about...that'll help you out a bit...
    TiDyCaTT900
    In a perfect world..people would stop using breakdowns..never to seen or heard from again...stricken from any record..I HATE BREAKDOWNS.
    Woeisme
    Hey there, I'm the rabid hyena. Thanks for checking out our jams, and for the review!
    cloud041089
    these guys sound a little bit too much like every other band in the genre... but i think they'll definitely find their more of their own sound by the next album or two. potential is all over the place.
    Muse&Megadeth
    Phe4rTheGod wrote: Like him or not, you can't deny the man had untouchable skills...I don't like the Dragonforce guys, but I would never say they weren't amazing musicians...
    I would. They can write good crazy ass shreds and shit. But they can't play them. i saw them live and its the biggest pile of crap ever. And tbh, they can only write one huge shred. All of their one song under different names sound the same.
    Phe4rTheGod
    ShredGodsUnite wrote: Dimebag could shred but he concentrated more on riffing and groove.
    You're kidding right? He could do both very fluidly...Floods or The Sleep, anyone?
    rhampster
    my boys from ohhhhiiiiioooo finally did it props to them for geting on metalblade dudes are NO JOKE a combined 30 years of guitar playing it really shows sadly the best unknown band ever but thats now changing GO SEE WOE LIVE IF YOU GET THE CHANCE
    UncleCthulhu
    And? He died more than "a few" years ago. As for the album, thought it was pretty boring. They have some talent but they're yet to apply it in a way that I personally like.
    seanplaysforblb
    Phe4rTheGod
    UncleCthulhu wrote: And? He died more than "a few" years ago.
    I must be missing your point, what's his death have to do with anything??? And who said anything about 'a few years ago'??? Clarify it... Anyways, he's still one of the greatest guitarists of all time and always will be...
    Dopey_Trout
    UncleCthulhu wrote: Phe4rTheGod wrote: 1. Dimebag is one of the greatest shredders of all time...have you ever listened to Pantera? And? He died more than "a few" years ago.
    I think the poin the's making is that Dimebag was indeed a more shred and groove oriented guitarist during the 90's when the review says there were none
    Unskathed
    CarlosRamirez
    Exactly, I was trying to make the point that yes, Dimebag was a fantastic shredder but Pantera's main focus was on groove and not on shredding. Yes, they had a song called "The Art of Shredding" for crissakes but when it came down to it, Dimebag's true gift was his huge riffing.
    sjones
    I went to see them live a couple months ago, they were in my area. Heard their recorded material, thought they would be awesome. Saw them live, I was bored. The local main support band who played before them blew them away. 1/2 the crowd left during their set. Good on record, but I was disappointed live.
    Dozerdwarf
    lockedandlogan wrote: Fuck yeah Nick Dozer!!!!!
    Thanks Logan! These comments are pretty interesting lol
    freak180
    Dozerdwarf wrote: lockedandlogan wrote: Fuck yeah Nick Dozer!!!!! Thanks Logan! These comments are pretty interesting lol
    lolol
    webbtje
    How is that a mistake? A lot of people don't like him. These guys are pretty cool, wonder how they fare live.
    Phe4rTheGod
    webbtje wrote: How is that a mistake? A lot of people don't like him.
    Like him or not, you can't deny the man had untouchable skills...I don't like the Dragonforce guys, but I would never say they weren't amazing musicians... 'Like'...lol...that's so cute...
    Divinephyton
    Gthenburg mixed with some death finalised into -core and some short shred lead here and there; overladen with (imo boring) melodic elements; sometimes it has its moments sometimes its just lame. Far from inspired, original but probably nourishes the emerging market for bland deathcore.
    haste the day
    seanplaysforblb wrote: Wow more generic metalcore claiming its death metal. Im so sick of this stuff. And no I didn't hear any impressive leads. Im sorry but this stuff is just so cookie-cutter and even has shitty ass breakdowns. THIS IS NOT DEATH METAL!
    TheLake
    haste the day wrote: Did you even listen to them at all? "no impressive leads" my ass. Maybe you should actually check out bands before you try to cut them up like the elitist prick that you're trying to be. It may not be death metal, but I would NOT consider this generic metalcore. I really think these guys have something going for them.
    I agree, from what I've heard so far, I wouldn't call this "generic metalcore" without any impressive leads... these guys do know how to play. I like their style a lot. It might not be ultra brutal death metal, but that doesn't make it bad. Lots of cool riffing and impressive playing around.
    seanplaysforblb
    Gmurcielago14 wrote: Unskathed wrote: This band is pretty sick. And it's definitely not generic metalcore. Seriously. No 5-7-8 pedal riffs or anything. All I hear is a frenzy of guitars and a sick vocalist. It doesn't have to sound like Slayer with growling to be death metal. Melody is allowed. Even Deicide is implementing more melody. Nay-sayers are why local bands like this get shot down all the time. A bunch of kids read some ass spewing his mouth off about how it's trashy generic b.s. and so they turn away. If you like heavy music, then act like it. Be happy that bands like this are getting bigger and that true metal and true shredding are coming back. Metal will never come back if we're all after each other's throats. Amen.
    Well I play in a local band so I know public response first hand.nothing against them,I don't find the solos bad just not impressive to me. And duh about the melody. The new Decrepit Birth is an example of tons of beautiful solos and harmonies. If you look deeper than whats popular you will find that since the early 90's there have been bands incorporating melody into death metal, so don't act like its some new style or something. it doesn't suck it just doesn't musically appeal to me. Im tired of hearing the same sweeps breakdowns and song structures that so many bands just keep playing. And if people seriously base their opinions on what one person says with out researching it, well that shows that the is a problem with them. And finally, I never want metal to get super popular ever. The genre gets overflooded with generic and half ass ideas. I like it how it is now.what do you mean "come back"? it never left.