Wolfmother review by Wolfmother

• Released: Oct 31, 2005
Wolfmother: Wolfmother

This is my review of the Australian version of Wolfmother's self titled album. This band blew me away, from the first time I heard the song Mind's Eye on the radio. I instantly bought this album. I was not disappointed. I believe that it is safe to say that this is the best Australian rock debut album since The Lving End. The album mixes powerhouse Black Sabbath style guitar, blistering drums and amazing keyboard that doesn't lack long kick-ass solos such as on White Unicorn, Woman and Mind's Eye. This is coming from a man who hates keyboard). The members of Wolfmother (Myles Heskett, Chris Ross and Andrew Stockdale) are all great at what they do.

The vocal and lyrical work is perfect. Some have complained that Andrew Stockdale borrows too heavily from Sabbath and Zepplin. What he actually does is adds elements of each to his own style for greater effect and it works wonders for him. They fit perfectly with mystical songs such as Colossal, Joker and the Theif and Tales From The Forest Of The Gnomes (which has ridiculously been left off the US and UK versions). Andrew Stockdale is a genius.

This album smashes all other new rock bands of the face of the planet. It is creative, magical and amazing. Few albums could compete with the great songs on this, including Woman, Mind's Eye, Pyramid and many others. I love everything about this album and if it were stolen I would buy another copy and then find and beat up the guy who took Wolfmother away from me.

69.so.fine
    I was thinking this would be another shitty foreign folk-metal band (because of the name), but they're pretty badass.
    Tony_26
    wolfmother is better than led zeppeling. at least wolfmother didnt steal their music
    Wiped_out
    I live in Canada and a friend of mine got it and Tales From The Forest Of The Gnomes is on it as he sent it too me (kick ass song, and dont worry, once I have 20 spare bucks, I am buying this album) though it is titled simply, "Tales" I've been a Wolfmother fan for over a month and pied my pants when it was finally released here but I didnt have the cash.
    DancingDays
    leave them alone rubberbullets id like to see you write riffs as good as them, they are having a go, better then some of the shit you hear on the radio these days, you bastard, they havent 'stolen' any thing they have influences like every one else you ****.
    _TheWorst
    bambi_slaughter wrote: not a bad band..but led zeppelin did this all already..and zep did it better...so whats the point of doing soemthing somones already done better?
    Agreement. The only plus is that I'd rather here Wolfmother on the radio than Avril Lavigne or Ashlee Simpson, or etc .
    rubberbullets
    Wolfmother are just like jet, only slightly less obvious about their "borrowing" of material. They are just another lame australian band, they've got nothing on ACDC or tim rogers or any real australian music, and they definitely don't live up to zeppelin or sabbath. I'm sick of hearing how great they are, the woman riff sounds like it's been stolen from whole lotta love, joker and the thief lyrics stolen from dylan's all along the watchtower, and a whole lot of other stuff I can't be bothered pointing out, everything I hear from them sounds familiar because they've just taken it from better bands. And I'm also sick of hearing how good of a live act they are, when I saw them in brisbane the lead singer jumped off an amp stack as a stunt then completely screwed up the song and the band had to stop and start at the verse. It was pretty lame.
    bambi_slaughter
    METSOAD
    Wolfmother are the best band to come out of the aus since the mighty AC DC and that is alot to live up to
    _TheWorst
    Yeah they do sound like some sort of Led Sabbath, but being that their main guitarist is also the singer, he doesn't have the oppurtunity to riff like crazy all the time. This, of course, was a key factor for those 70s blues-rock bands. I like the sound of Wolfmother, but I think they rely too heavily on a very boring lyrics/chorus/lyrics/chorus method. Still, this debut album shows a lot of potential, so I'd expect that their next album will be a little more technical.
    Miek
    yeah I gotta agree they're on the right track but its not very technical and get boring. I'm not saying you need technicality to be original or entertaining but they could be a mad prog rock band.
    Sebz
    fruitiante
    i've been listening to their stuff for just under a year and i saw them live with oasis and foo fighters recently, and i can only describe it as robert plant lovin' black sabbath
    fruitiante
    It's just sad that you yanks haven't had the chance to appreciate one of their blistering stage shows
    can_i_say
    wtf this cd isnt out in the states yet damn it came out in aus ages ago love white unicorn
    kaliba
    well due to your report i think that uve convinced me to watch them at Leeds festival this year
    tommyg_99
    DoverHockeyPunk wrote: love train is the best song on the album i cant stop listening to thier cd its awesome
    ... Um... Love Train??
    Sebz wrote: How can anyone possibly call them metal....everything ive heard from them is a 70'style hard rock zeppelin like thing, except more boring and less technical. the only song thats kinda good is woman. Im not saying theyre terrible but they just arent anything special at all, way overrated. The singer running around on stage with a cape is kinda amusing though, with his funny head. lol
    They are slightly overrated, and everyone is saying how they aren't original, and are copying Sabbath and LZ. Don't turn this into ****in' JET again! Oh...and funny head? Yeah, it's called an "afro".