Wolfmother review by Wolfmother

• Released: Oct 31, 2005
Wolfmother: Wolfmother

As soon as I bought this album off of iTunes, without even listening to it, I knew I was going to love it. And wow, was I right. This album easily expresses Wolfmother's inspiration and roots, which include The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, and much more. I have a feeling that Wolmother might not be recognized by many people today. But even with this, their sound is of no other band today.

The lyrics on this album are one of a kind. In most cases, they seem to come off as Psychedelic. The lyrics give you the type of feeling that everything around you is calm, which is unusual due to the heavy guitar riffs. The singer is the only singer in my opinion that sounds like Robert Plant. There is no doubt that this man has a great singing voice.

This album is great. If you're into classic rock bands such as Zeppelin, Sabbath, and Floyd. I would, without a doubt, purchases this album. You will not be disappointed. It is certainly not the best album in the world (i.e. Pink Floyd: The Wall) but, it is still a great album. The things that did catch my attention in a negative way was the lack of guitar solos and that there was no "fully" acoustic song. These guys are talented, and a few more guitar solos would have shown that off. The most impressive thing on this album, is probably the success Wolfmother had on bringing back true rock. If it were stolen I would just burn the songs to a blank CD from iTunes again.

(MrMister)
    The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd
    Wow, never expected to see these guys listed for influences. I sort of liked Wolfmother, but it got kind of boring around the end for me.
    ipa_luke
    It is true that these guys are bringing back 70s psychadaelia, but that doesn't make them plagiarists or copycats. If you really sit down and listen to the album, it sounds like each songs is almost a tribute to an older band, not a copy. And no, these guys can't yet be compared to the mighty Zeppelin. But this is their DEBUT album. It has been a long, long time since I have heard music this good and paying so much homage to the old school on a first album. Songs like 'Over the Hills and Far Away' didn't appear on Zeppelin I, and thats because bands need time to evole. I have no doubt Wolfmother will be any different. Kudos on giving hope for the music future, guys.
    ipa_luke
    I would just like to add, for anyone criticizing the guitar riffs or lack thereof, imagine for a moment Robert Plant playing a Jimmy Page solo while belting out Black Dog. Damn near impossible, so cut the guy some slack. Anyone who can sing and put forth an effort like that deserves some credit.
    Stooja
    Yeah i got there album and i'd say although it sounds similar to sabbath and zeppelin, it manages to sound fresh at the same time. The singing is amazing aswell, as a singer myself its hard to get something perfect like that but he gets all the notes perfect and it just sounds great.
    coopertempleman
    Boring as hell, and 'Woman' pisses me right the **** off. It's just a boring, bland, album. There is nothing special to this band that cuts them off from the likes of Jet or The Darkness, or any other shitty, half-assed heavy revival rock act for that matter. The only things that cuts them off from the aforementioned bands is that the music is worse, the lyrics are even shittier, and they have no flare. Boring, boring band. Next.
    coopertempleman
    And as for you people saying "Oh, he's singing at the same time as playing guitar, it must be hard, cut him some slack", I have a few words for you: 1. Kurt Cobain did the 'basic riffs while singing' thing better, and I dont even like Nirvana that much. 2. Look at Matt Bellamy of Muse, or Paul Weller, lately of The Jam. Both managed to belt out amazing riffs, breaks, and solos while singing, why should whatshisface from Wolfmother be expected to do any less? If he's in a classic rock tribute band, he ought to have enough talent for it.
    fruitiante
    I'd just like to agree with MetSOAD's point about lack of technicality, but it is tough with the lead vocals and guitar from the same bloke
    mikecappa
    I hate people who say Wolfmother is a Zeppelin ripoff, if you like zeppelin or any other band then why not write music like them, are you calling the Beatles a rip off band cuz they had their psycodelic phase, or every metal band cuz they all shred the shit out of their guitars? Take Metallica, they grew up loving British new wave heavy metal, so they played heavy metal. Wolfmother probly likes Zeppelin so they play Zeppelin like music.
    guitar joe
    They have taken good aspects of 70s rock bands and mixed them to gether to appeal to a young audience 40 years later which I think is a top effort by the boys. I like the flute in one of the songs (whichcraft I think) its a nice touch very Jethro Tull. Just enjoy what there doing stop nocking them cos there bringing back a classic era of rock and roll.
    Noxkid457
    wabusy33 wrote: I disagree with people who say the singer sounds like Robert Plant, sure he does on the song woman but if you listen to the rest of the album, I'd say he sounds more like Jack White.
    Hey I guess I wasn't the only one who thought he sounds more like Jack White. Just listen to the Joker and the Thief.